Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: boiled & dried peanuts

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Awwww...the memories. Chicken Skin time. Remember the Old Stadium. Back side. Local Lady sitting on her folded chair with her bamboo round holder carrying her boiled and roasted peanuts. Her children selling at all the other entrances as well. Missing out on the games.
    Wow I remember buying the boiled and dried peanuts as a kid going to the Hawaii Islander baseball game. A couple years back someone told me that the guy who sold peanuts on the King Street side of Honolulu Stadium used to cook his peanuts in a furo. Maybe way they were so ono.

Comment

I miss boiled peanuts! I remember when I was a kid my mom used to take us to some small store in Honolulu where an old guy had a large vat of some sort with the boiled peanuts. I'd suck the salty water out of the shell first. YUM! How much does a bag of those sell for today? I'd pay 5 bucks for a bag of those right now, with a cold can of pop.
      * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
      - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
        I miss boiled peanuts! I remember when I was a kid my mom used to take us to some small store in Honolulu where an old guy had a large vat of some sort with the boiled peanuts. I'd suck the salty water out of the shell first. YUM! How much does a bag of those sell for today? I'd pay 5 bucks for a bag of those right now, with a cold can of pop.
        . . . . . . . . . . . . .

just check pomai's and 1stwahine's posts above and you'll see some prices.

i just got back from a cool (not as in temperature cuz it was super humid!) northern corner of thailand, just across laos had the hook up cuz of a friend's connection and we stayed at this small, 2 story "hotel" that was just across the street from the mekong river. awesome. anyway, my hat's off to pomai cuz he clued me in on where to find some boiled/dried peanuts and they were perfect for that long layover in narita. my buddy was flying on united (using his miles) but our layovers overlapped in narita and that's when i broke out the peanuts. talk about joy! ha! ha! thanks again pomai; you da man!
        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

FYI

Boiled and dried peanuts (left) and boiled peanuts (right) from Chris's Peanut Shop in Waimalu Shopping Center...

More info...
          ↓↓↓↓↓↓
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

mmm... boiled peanuts. Man, I had so much of that last xmas, that I couldn't eat my usual foods. Get one humungous pot, put water and peanuts and leave it while you cook other foods for the party. We might have some this father's day. Can't wait!
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

ha! ha! great pictures pomai!
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Pomai - wow that is a really great picture! Man I gotta go out and get me some peanuts now.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                  If you folks know how to cook your own boiled peanuts and prefer it on the dry side, immediately dump the entire batch into the sink to drain after cooking. It's when you let the peanuts steep in the brine as it cools down to room temperature is when all that liquid is absorbed into the shells.
                  1 lb. raw peanuts in the shell. The small peanuts are the best.
                  1/4 C salt. Anykine. I use Hawaiian or table salt.
                  Water

Dump the peanuts in a large pot, add enough water so the peanuts can be pushed under, add salt. Bring to a boil, turn the temp down so the peanuts are at a good simmer and cook for 1 hr. covered. Remove from heat and let stand for 1 hr. for "juicy" peanuts. For dry peanuts, you gotta cook them a bit longer, maybe another 1/2 hr. Take one peanut out and try it at 1 hr. and every 15 minutes after till it's done to your liking...and do as lurkah said. Remove from heat and drain. Do not let it sit in the brine. Only drawback is it won't be as salty as the juicy peanuts.

The salt content and cooking time was what I came up with for my taste after several tries. You may have to do the same. The peanuts and salt are cheap. It's hard if you don't have the time.

Some places add star anise to the peanuts for added flavor. I guess if you gotta, go ahead. Personally, I hates the stuff in foods other than what it was meant for. Li hing powder on pineapple or grapefruit. <LOL>
                  Keep the stuff out of my oxtail soup.

Comment

Re: boiled &amp; dried peanuts

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye

1/4 C salt. Anykine. I use Hawaiian or table salt.
                    Yup, Hawaiian salt, table salt, anykine salt will do.

My dad had a love and a flair for cooking and the firefighters he worked with always looked forward to when it was his turn to prepare their meals. I'm not much of a cook myself, but I never forgot the one "secret" my dad shared with me in regards to making really tasty boiled peanuts: keep adding salt to the water until it tastes like the ocean.

That formula hasn't failed me yet as my boiled peanuts have always received rave reviews. My dad has since passed on and I figure that life is too short not to share his secret so that others may enjoy.
                    Last edited by lurkah; June 15, 2006, 10:00 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=lurkah]
                      Would you know if that nice pake guy Leonard is still working there? He was the cook who took care of the ono pupu section in the back. We used to load up over there before heading over to Mokauea Island for the weekend.

Yes Leonard is still there as is his two sisters and brother in law. They still have great pupus although I haven't been there too often since I retired three years ago.

Comment

Anyone know if you can use a pressure cooker to make boil peanuts? My mom has a pressure cooker for making laulau. Thought I could use that to speed it up a bit. Some gal told me to add anise to it also. K so where do we get raw peanuts?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Chris's Peanut Shop (808) 488-7187, located in Waimalu Shopping Center near Zippy's. $3.50/pound.

Awwww...the memories. Chicken Skin time. Remember the Old Stadium. Back side. Local Lady sitting on her folded chair with her bamboo round holder carrying her boiled and roasted peanuts. Her children selling at all the other entrances as well. Missing out on the games.

That was the original Chris from Chris Peanut Shop in Waimalu. Her husband was the son of the owner who made the Best Peanuts in Chinatown - Mama Lau. Her store was located in front of TinTin Chop Suey House on Maunakea Street. One of his daughters became Miss Chinatown, Hawaii in the 60's.

How do I know? Chris is my mother's sister. Auntie Chris is still alive and well. Uncle Joe is gone. The family recipe for delicious Roasted and Boiled Peanuts is still enjoyed by Ohana!

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
                          I used to buy peanuts from Chris' Peanut Shop from the original owners. Waimalu was where I used to live and grew up. I used to remember a peanut shop on Beretania St. next to the old Nippon Theater.
                          Last edited by na alii; June 15, 2006, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                            Anyone know if you can use a pressure cooker to make boil peanuts? My mom has a pressure cooker for making laulau. Thought I could use that to speed it up a bit. Some gal told me to add anise to it also. K so where do we get raw peanuts?
                            Just about any supermarket sells bagged, raw peanuts in the produce section. I even found them at Long's.

Comment

Yeah I picked some up from Safeway today. That and a bottle of the anise stuff.
                              Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
                              Just about any supermarket sells bagged, raw peanuts in the produce section. I even found them at Long's.

Comment

Found a couple recipes for boiled peanuts via pressure cooker on the web and all are pretty much the same. I ended up tryin 1 lb peanuts, about 1/4 cup kosher salt, and an arbitrary 2 pieces of anise.

I added 6 cups of water (according to the recipe). It didnt cover the peanuts totally but what do I know. So I cooked it under pressure for 40 min (again like recipe) but when I checked, the bottom ones were hmmm al dente I guess but the top ones were kinda dry still yet. So I added maybe another 2 cups of water and on impulse I added maybe 2-3 tablespoons of Aloha shoyu then cooked under pressure for another 15 min.

I checked again and this time they were all cooked but the inside didnt squirt so I let them sit in the brine for what ended up to be a couple hours because I was distracted. Drained them and put them in the fridge.

My wife liked them so must be pretty good.

Gonna try a crock pot method today or tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X