X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Fruits

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
    Blackberry crumble.
    Oh, I'm totally doing this. You think whole-wheat flour would work?
    Last edited by scrivener; July 2, 2006, 01:23 AM. Reason: "who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?"
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
      I think so. And so would brown sugar. If you are in a hurry, or lazy, don't bother to heat the fruit, first...that just helps the juices to flow...I sometimes squeeze in juice or add water, and then top it with the crumble and bake it. Any way you do it, is good. If you don't have oatmeal, just up the flour, or substitute breadcrumbs. And even frozen, unthawed fruit, works. This is a very forgiving recipe.

PS I process everything but the oatmeal, first, and then just pulse the oatmeal in...that way, it stays whole...or more whole, like.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Tangerines and japanese pears! Mmmmm....
        Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
          Definitely does ... for me anyway. If you do use apples (pears are great too btw) make sure you definitely add cinnamon, it makes such a difference to the flavour. If you want an extra chewy but crunchy kinda texture to the topping, reduce the amount of sugar and add a little honey and I agree with adding the oatmeal seperately after everything else, it goes a little mushy otherwise.

Oh and those Ka'u oranges are unreal - I was a bit dubious when I first saw one, cos it was the ugliest looking orange I ever saw, but oh my - the taste - to die for

Regards, Smudge
          Last edited by Smudge; July 2, 2006, 02:27 AM.
          You don't need to know all the answers. No-one is smart enough to ask you all the questions

Comment

Smudge is right...actually, the original recipe came from when I was living in England...they've got crumble down to a fine art, over there. AND they've got Bird's Custard Powder...see if you can find it in Hawaii, it's worth the search.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
              Lilikoi by a mile
              A.K.A., Passion Fruit. Yuck. One of my least favorite. Something about that gooey, seedy texture and the slight tartness don't go well for me. I even avoid juices with it.

Speaking of tart, check out this cool little live, young Pineapple plant they have growing in rows (plenty of them) on the second floor lobby of the Hyatt Regency Waikiki...

Photo by Pomai - 7.1.06.

It's about the size of a baseball. I bet their guests must be really tempted to pull one and take it back home with them.

Frozen Pineapple slices with Li Hing Mui powder on it is a winnah!
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

ANYTHING with li hing mui powder is good! I sprinkle it on fruit, before dehydrating. Mmmm!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  In Japan, fresh Melon Juice is very popular. Simply ripe Melons blended with a little milk. It's so awesome. There's also a packaged version in stores. I don't know why that hasn't caught on here yet. I should email Hawaiian Sun about that one.
                  Big pilikia re my lactose intolerance if I see milk as one of its ingredients.

On topic, I pretty much like all fruit. And we have access to lots of good fresh fruit from farmers' markets in the San Jose area.

But, when I was home during the spring rains, I got hooked on pangit, rain-damaged papayas that I bought from mom&pop stores on Liliha just makai of Kuakini. Those papayas were so consistently ripe-ready to eat and so ono ice-cold for breakfast. [Complaint: Usually no mo parking nearby. I had to park so far away . . . past Liliha Bakery]
                  Last edited by Palama Kid; July 2, 2006, 04:21 AM.
                  Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

So far I pretty much agree with everyone before me 'cept citrus, while it's ok, I won't go out of my way for it. If it's served at a friend's home I'll eat it but I won't pay for it at a restaurant! Tropical fruits are my favorites followed by strawberries and blueberries.

A quarter cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup of granola and a 1/2 cup of yogurt makes a nice dessert! Now I'm hungry!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                      [...]Gotta' admit, Bird Cage was a HILARIOUS movie!

In Japan, fresh Melon Juice is very popular. Simply ripe Melons blended with a little milk. It's so awesome. There's also a packaged version in stores. I don't know why that hasn't caught on here yet. I should email Hawaiian Sun about that one.
                      Isn't this known here as a smoothie? Or is the Japanese version thinner?

Loved 'Bird Cage'!

Comment

rofl I <3'd Andre!

and watermelon.

and berries.

Comment

Re: Favorite Fruits - Loon Ngan

If you like Lychee, this variant called Longan, or in Cantonese Loon Ngan, tastes similiar, except a little more sweet and intense in flavor...

Loon Ngan - peeled and unpeeled

They measure about an inch in diameter, with a soft, yet chewy white-translucent flesh and a black seed inside.

My aunt from Portlock (Hawaii Kai) has two tall trees of them growing in her backyard. Currently it's blooming.

Here's a bunch...

I tell you, these babies are so ono!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Tis' the season for folks giving us fruits. From the Loon Ngan "Dragon "Eye" fruit in my last post, to two boxes of Persimmons from Kula, Maui!...

My girlfriend's mom on Maui sent them to us, which she picked from her friend's trees in her yard up in Kula. I guess the temperature up there is ideal for this type of fruit.

I'd say they taste like a cross between a cantaloupe, a pear and an apple, with a firm flesh and thin skin. They say you're supposed to peel it, but ahh.. to much hassle. I just whack da' buggah, skin and all. lol They're pretty sweet, without much acidity. Ono!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

And for those who aren't lucky enough to have priority persimmons from Kula, Star Market has them on sale for $0.99/lb. Talk about a crowd! There were a dozen seniors jostling me for access to the best examples. Most of them maxed out on the 5lb. limit.

While supplies last.
                              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
                              X