Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: weird food toppings/pairings

Originally posted by Adri
    There's a Japanese restaurant here that serves a salad of raw potato strings. I disremember what kind of seasoning (and the name of the restaurant) but it was gooooooood!
    i think that was angelo pietro's that served raw potato in string form.

Comment

Angelo Pietros has that raw potato salad... but I wouldn't classify it as a Japanese Restaraunt. I would call it more Italian than Japanese...
      The Pietro Group also owns and operates 104 various types of restaurants in Japan, Korea and Hawaii. Among them are the "Yo-Men Ya Pietro" and "Pietro's Pasta" where spaghetti, pizza, and salad are the main items on the menu
      http://www.pietrousa.com/

In fact... it looks like they themselves say the same thing.
      Welcome to Angelo Pietro Honolulu, specializing in Italian - Japanese Cuisine! Angelo Pietro Honolulu combines the best of Italy and the distinct and delicate flavors of Japan and serves it just for you in a warm and pleasant setting. We offer a wide variety of Italian dishes including Create Your Own Masterpiece Pizza! We also have the best spaghetti in town!
      http://www.thehawaiianportal.com/db_clients/297.php

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly0040
        I tried the frostie and french fry combo as a teenager. I just ended up with a cold french fry and salty frosty - did I do it right? Or is this like the equivalant to pretzels and ice cream?
        It doesn't really work with soggy fries or a super stiff frosty. You have to luck out and get the right combination.

I also like cranberry sauce out of the can (either type: chunky or smooth) and I'll put that on anything (ice cream, sandwiches, ice cream sandwiches, vegetables, meats
        Another one that sounds really odd but is very good and makes a lot of sense once you get to thinking about it, is cranberry + turkey sandwiches. Often with mayo added. I tried it at a French deli place on a suggestion from a friend once and it was really good. Then I realized that it's basically just Thanksgiving leftovers dumped onto a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
          It's a Southern U.S. thing. Can't really compare it to steak and eggs, as they are both generally savory items. But fried chicken and waffles INCLUDES maple syrup on it, so you have that savory-sweet clash going on. It's best if the fried chicken has a peppery batter (say, with cayenne in it.)
          Waffle House bay-bey!!!!!!
          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Another DB mentions several variations of the Loco Moco, which in itself is a rather a weird pairing in a "screw-the-arteries, triple-the-sin" kind of way...

En Fuego's serves an Ahi Loco Moco: 2 large pieces of battered and fried Ahi on a bed of your choice of white or brown rice, a light teriyaki sauce over the rice, eggs any way you like, smothered with brown gravy.

Another unknown place serves a Pocho Loco: Fried Rice, Breaded Boneless Pork Chop, Brown Gravy and Eggs.

I better leave now and run a few laps.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
              Waffle House bay-bey!!!!!!
              Oooh yeah! We ate at one of those outside of Atlanta and one somewhere on the GA-NC border. They were so picky about how their waffles looked that at one Waffle House, they gave us a deformed waffle and insisted on making another fresh one, which they gave to us for free!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Waffle House has fantastic food. Used to go there all the time when I lived in Texas. (Un?)fortunately I had to stop because the smoking environment eventually got to me.

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                  i think that was angelo pietro's that served raw potato in string form.
                  I just asked a friend who picked the place with the raw potato dish and confirmed it was Angelo Pietro's. I guess I recalled it as a Japanese restaurant because of the natto and ume dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                    anyone had that poi cup at the pineapple room? looks really sloppy...a cup of poi, lomi salmon, and kalua pig, piled in that order in a little cup.

Actually, I think that makes a perfect combination. Whenever I eat Hawaiian food, I like to eat poi with kalua pig. Kalua pig is salty, oily, smoky, INTENSE—it needs to be combined with something else—rice, cabbage, etc. Poi is one of the better combinations—it mellows out the flavor. Lomi salmon is another. When you combine the three, poi-kalua pig-lomi salmon (which is what I usually do when I eat Hawaiian food), the combination is perfect.

Also—this is probably not unusual (especially for locals), but I like to sprinkle salt on fresh sliced pineapple. It brings out the sweetness.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      It's a Southern U.S. thing. Can't really compare it to steak and eggs, as they are both generally savory items. But fried chicken and waffles INCLUDES maple syrup on it, so you have that savory-sweet clash going on. It's best if the fried chicken has a peppery batter (say, with cayenne in it.)
                      Chicken and waffles aren't limited just to the South. California has Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, and there are places on the East Coast and the Midwest where you can order it as well.

Comment

A Famous thing in Wisconsin is Apple pie with cheddar cheese melted on top.

Never tried it but I heard it's very good.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Chicken and waffles aren't limited just to the South. California has Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles, and there are places on the East Coast and the Midwest where you can order it as well.
                          Yes, Roscoes is famous here.

I tried it once...pretty sinful. Tasted good, but felt my heart slowing down as I ate (well, at least in my head anyway)

Comment

Originally posted by Bard
                            It doesn't really work with soggy fries or a super stiff frosty. You have to luck out and get the right combination.

Another one that sounds really odd but is very good and makes a lot of sense once you get to thinking about it, is cranberry + turkey sandwiches. Often with mayo added. I tried it at a French deli place on a suggestion from a friend once and it was really good. Then I realized that it's basically just Thanksgiving leftovers dumped onto a sandwich.
                            What really sends that over is adding cream cheese...try it...really yummy :-)

Comment

Originally posted by kaipo
                              -Dipping french fries in the McDonalds Ice Cream
                              That's one of my favorite things to do. And I also like to get those little chocolate ice cream cups from Ambassador's (I think they're Meadow Gold?) and dip Lay's sour cream & onion chips in them.
                              myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

when i was a kid i invented a sandwich, it basically consisted of a layer of peanut butter, a layer of butter, more peanut butter, more butter. washed down with a glass of milk, its yummy.
                                cheese and ketchup sandwiches? we used to call that poor mans pizza.
                                my first job was at BK, there were samoans that used to eat their french fries not with ketchup but with mayo. i think this is how its done in france also.
                                i had a girlfriend who used to eat ramen with cheese on top. sounds gross but tasted good.
                                my friend also used to put mayo in his chili.
                                when i used to work at pizza hut i used to make a super thin crust pizza with 1/2 tomato 1/2 alfredo sauce. piled high with cheese, bacon, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, and olives. it was yummy.
                                Last edited by Hellbent; August 10, 2006, 11:44 AM.
                                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                                X