Best Ramen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Ramen

Last night I paid a visit to Gyoza No Ohsho in King's Village Plaza on Kaiulani Ave., just across the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. This is the former home of Ito Guruma Ramen House, which was EXCELLENT.

I ordered the Char Siu Ramen ($8.50) and an Asahi Beer, here...

Notice how square the cuts of Chashu is. The broth was rather mild and I didn't really care for the bean sprouts in it. Also, the lack of Menma (bamboo shoots) was disappointing. The ramen noodles had that traditional egg-based flavor, so that was good.

Overall, I'd give this bowl of what I'll rename "Chashumen" a 7 out of 10. Good, but not great. I was the only patron in there at the time, so naturally the service was very attentive from the two young hosts. We talked more about where the party was at after they closed. I couldn't get any "secret" ingredients out of them. lol

A surfer-looking dude came in just before closing and ordered Gyoza to go, which he testified to me that was "da' bomb". So I imagine being their namesake, that's their calling. Next time.

Here's the storefront...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So I went to this little Asian Market (that's the name) and asked about Ramen and they gave me some shoyu ramen? OMG I am never buying Ramen at the grocery store again! It was worth the language difficulties and travel time too! It was nothing like Top Ramen
      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
      Sharing withother survivors...
      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle
        So I went to this little Asian Market (that's the name) and asked about Ramen and they gave me some shoyu ramen? I am never buying Ramen at the grocery store again! It was nothing like Top Ramen
        First of all, I wouldn't trust Ramen from a store named "Asian Market". The name alone implicates too many unknown variables. Stick with a Japanese-named Ramen shop, operated by Japanese. That's my criteria here in Honolulu as well. I don't want Ramen that tastes like Kim Chee or Pho.

For any ramen to be inferior to Top Ramen instant noodles has to be REALLY BAD. Yikes.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
          First of all, I wouldn't trust Ramen from a store named "Asian Market". The name alone implicates too many unknown variables. Stick with a Japanese-named Ramen shop, operated by Japanese. That's my criteria here in Honolulu as well. I don't want Ramen that tastes like Kim Chee or Pho.

For any ramen to be inferior to Top Ramen instant noodles has to be REALLY BAD. Yikes.
          Well, there went my bubble of excitement! Wonder what I ate?
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Well, there went my bubble of excitement! Wonder what I ate?
            Lots and lots of stuff that's no good for you

The numbers reflect a package of Top Ramen, but after looking at "specialty ramen" sold at Asian food markets, they're awfully similar, especially with the use of palm oil and MSG.
            Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
            We're not here to mess around
            Boston, you know we love you madly
            Hear the crowd roar to your sound
            Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
            You know we couldn't live without you
            Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Sorry I voted OTHER, but um, theres one tiny restaurant in Kailua ~ Ra Ra Ramen and they have the most onolicous Miso Spicy Ramen saimin thingy ~ oOh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Got2HaVKaYaNoW
                Sorry I voted OTHER, but um, theres one tiny restaurant in Kailua ~ Ra Ra Ramen and they have the most onolicous Miso Spicy Ramen saimin thingy ~ oOh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!
                Do you mean "Rai Rai Ramen" on Oneawa, near Taco Bell?

I think there is another one on Kapahulu, IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
                  Do you mean "Rai Rai Ramen" on Oneawa, near Taco Bell?

Rai Rai!....LMAO, hows me RA RA? yea thats the one. ra, ra, <giggling>
                  sigpic

Comment

Gomaichi Ramen (631 Keeaumoku). Their chicken Tan Tan ramen is quite good. I always interpreted the high ratio of Japan national customers as a good sign.

Comment

So I went to this little Asian Market (that's the name) and asked about Ramen and they gave me some shoyu ramen? OMG I am never buying Ramen at the grocery store again! It was worth the language difficulties and travel time too! It was nothing like Top Ramen
                      Originally posted by Pomai

Pomai -- I think blueyecicle meant that the shoyu ramen from Asian Market was a lot better than her usual Top Ramen from the grocery store. I mean, she said it was worth the time and hassle. Right, b?

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        I'm no branding or marketing or campaigning expert, but whaaat? Giving away ramen packs?

So, the message is:

- Case feeds the hungry? (or the freebie-seeker?)
                        - You're so poor, this free food will make you grateful enough to vote for me? (But what if I'm homeless and have no way to cook it?)
                        - Sparky was famous for his navy bean soup, I'll be famous for the dehydrated/reconstituted ramen I serve office visitors in DC?
                        - I'm LOCAL too!(?)
                        - I'm the "Top" candidate and will use my noodle in DC?

Well, if Jeremy Harris can give away ice cold slices of watermelon to parched Kailua 4th of July Parade viewers, (which made total sense and was greatly appreciated in the heat of the day), I guess Ed can give away ramen.
                        JH's campaign also gave away plastic bags full of eggplant and someother veggie (bell pappers?), I recall there was a little kerfluffle over whether the person who gave him the veggies to give to potential voters made a campaign contribution and how do you value the veggies for reporting purposes if they are a campaign contribution. But I also recall hearing how impressed people (especially people in Chinatown and Kalihi) were with Harris giving away vegetables. I think it had something to do with "showing" that he understood local culture, giving something back to people that didn't seem to be a vote-for-me-bribe (although it certainly was intended to help get votes) and seemed humble. It's also like "I'm your next door neighbor." in the sense of if you were growing something like eggplant (or mango or avocado) and you had plenty, you would share with your friends and neighbors, right? These were local items, not generic bottles of water or "mainland" things like tape measures (which Ann Kobayashi gave away at one time).

Pomai Wow, you're a fabulous cook! Your pictures always make me hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Adri
                          Pomai Wow, you're a fabulous cook! Your pictures always make me hungry
                          Arigato Gozaimasu! Thankfully you're refering to my effort in making authentic ramen, and NOT just adding hot water into an instant Cup Noodle.

IIRC, it was Lyla Berg's 2004 campaign where she distributed instant ramen with her flyer. I never did cook it. It's probably still in the cupboard. lol

If a political candidate passes out SUN NOODLE ramen, only THEN would I guarantee their vote! That's what you call being "PRC" (Politically Ramen Correct).
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Looking for the perfect Ramen? Some source material.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/

Going to Uwajimaya today... I'll keep my eyes out for it.

Scriv, perhaps you can add this to your trivia question game...............what does the below picture represent? ( I know you will clean that up)....

Last edited by nachodaddy; September 17, 2006, 10:27 AM. Reason: added picture
                            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Hakata (Tonkotsu) Ramen is the best for me.

Above is Myojo's my preferred brand. Careful when getting it all the packaging looks the same so you gotta either know how to read the Japanese label or get the right colored one. It even comes with the pork bone stock in it which you add after you boil the noodles and add the soup base. Then once its in your bowl you add the pork bone base with all of its greasy goodness.

My wife's from Fukuoka so I had a chance to to eat it first hand and it was G-O-O-D, GOOD! This instant is really good also though.

I'm sure most Japanese super's have the brand in stock in Hawaii and for the mainlander's/trans-planted local's Mitsuwa's Supermarket (West Coast and Jersey. The lucky bums!) has them as well as you can order it online at Asian Food Grocer. Heres a link:

(http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/index...&Category=1441)

I live in Utah so I always stock up when I go visit relatives in LA or beg relatives for some when they come up from California.

Other than that the ramen shop at Maui's Shirokiya's at Queen Kaahumanu Center was awesome to bad it closed (RIP).

Aloha and Enjoy!
                              Last edited by keoki_sing; September 17, 2006, 07:12 PM.
                              As long as my Wasabeefu Chips, my Tonkotsu Ramen, and my Chocoflakes stocks are good and I live less than 10 miles away from an L&L's all is right in the world. Yes Utah has an L&L's actually they have 2 now.

But I'm all out of Chocoflakes so I'm only 3/4's fine the last 1/4 of my life you can find me in a fetal position rocking back and forth trying and possibly failing to do College Algebra....Sad but true..

Comment

Pomai,
                                When you make the chashu for your ramen, what cut of pork do you use? How long do you simmer it?

Edited to add: Pomai, I followed the link to your blog where I found a more detailed post and your recipe for the chashu. It answered my question. Thanks!
                                Last edited by mapen; October 8, 2006, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X