where do they serve coconut mahi mahi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do they serve coconut mahi mahi

aloha does anyone know where they serve coconut mahi mahi i love it i had it at a luau a few years ago yummy!!
    *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
    http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Re: where do they serve coconut mahi mahi

You had it at a luau in Hawaii? Or a "luau" on the Mainland?

Can't say I've seen it specifically highlighted on a local menu, though I don't eat at many luau (or fancy restaurants for that matter). I found one reference to such a dish on a Kauai spa page, but most mentions of it come from California or Florida or Virginia and don't really imply any Hawaiian link at all.

While I'm sure local chefs and "Hawaii Regional Cuisine" will inevitably bring coconut and mahi mahi together, my guess is this dish is about as Hawaiian as "Hawaiian pizza." That is, a cheesy culinary construct and not at all what you should find at a mostly-authentic luau.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      a mostly-authentic luau.
      Which isn't the case with most tourist-oriented lu`au, true?
      I never had coconut mahi mahi, though I did have it with a macadamia nut crust at a (long gone) restaurant on Moloka`i, back in 1989. It's funny, but to non-Hawai`i-residents, mahi mahi is often an "exotic" fish - while in Hawai`i, it's what you often get as a staple with your plate lunch (sort of like the cheaper whitefish used for continental fish 'n' chips - usually cod or haddock.)

Comment

oh ok it could have been when i went to a luau at seaworld in orlando a few years back , my bad but i know it tasted yummy

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiidreaming
          oh ok it could have been when i went to a luau at seaworld in orlando a few years back , my bad but i know it tasted yummy
          Well since you're talking Florida, that dish could have been an influence of that OTHER fusion cuisine known as "Floribbean". My girlfriend used to work at Tommy Bahama Restaurant in Wailea, Maui, which featured such dishes. I have yet to try Conch, a popular dish in the Caribbeans.

On a local cooking show I've seen a Tahitian raw fish dish (kinda' like Poke) that used coconut milk and lime juice. Looked good.
          Last edited by Pomai; August 29, 2006, 09:33 AM. Reason: Caribbean bbbrrrrbbbbrrrr lol
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I had coconut shrimp at the old Tahitian Lanai and it was indeed yummy. Other restaurants on Oahu must have something similar, maybe? It seems to me La Mariana would be the likely restaurant to have that entree but I can't recall the menu items! Dunno why there couldn't be such a dish as coconut mahi mahi. I'd order it but, then, I like Hawaiian pizza!

Comment

yep ill try the coconut shrimp yumm

Comment

i think....Red Lobster may have that coconut mahi mahi....can't recall their menu offhand...but im sure if you give them a call and check they can tell you

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  It's funny, but to non-Hawai`i-residents, mahi mahi is often an "exotic" fish - while in Hawai`i, it's what you often get as a staple with your plate lunch
                  Right! Up here in California, restaurants proudly advertise the exotic TILAPIA on their menus.

Ha ha ha ha.

[vomits in mouth] Ugh... [/vomits in mouth]

Comment

Red Lobster is really pushing its "Maui Luau Shrimp and Salmon," and even posts the recipe online. Of course, they're saying it's inspired by Hawaii, and not in any way an authentic island dish, but I have no doubt they don't mind the presumptive affiliation most diners will make!

Comment

Not sure about coconut mahi mahi but I've had great coconut shrimp appetizers at Haleiwa Joes on the North Shore and in Kaneohe.

Comment

This has been bothering my mind all day.

Hmmmm. To prepare. Easy. Just like regular Fried Mahi Mahi.

Filet pieces. Salt & Pepper

Dip in egg. Put in bread crumbs. Fry in oil till golden brown.

Dry on paper towel.

Sprinkle with sherdded coconut.

Put on platter with a t-leaves or a banana leaf for decoration. You can also decorate with various tropical pieces of fruits too.

Add more sprinkle shredded coconut as desired.

Sauce: Any sweet tangy sauce which can be found in your favorite Supermarket - Asian Section.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          This has been bothering my mind all day.

Hmmmm. To prepare. Easy. Just like regular Fried Mahi Mahi.

Filet pieces. Salt & Pepper

Dip in egg. Put in bread crumbs. Fry in oil till golden brown.

Dry on paper towel.

Sprinkle with sherdded coconut.

Put on platter with a t-leaves or a banana leaf for decoration. You can also decorate with various tropical pieces of fruits too.

Add more sprinkle shredded coconut as desired.

Sauce: Any sweet tangy sauce which can be found in your favorite Supermarket - Asian Section.

Auntie Lynn
                          Mmmmmmmm.....when's dinner?

Comment

I was thinking this:
                            Dip mahi mahi in seasoned flour, then egg, then a panko and shredded coconut mixture, panfry in olive oil and butter; serve with a fresh mint-mango-lime-red-pepper-maui-onion-salsa.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                              I was thinking this:
                              Dip mahi mahi in seasoned flour, then egg, then a panko and shredded coconut mixture, panfry in olive oil and butter; serve with a fresh mint-mango-lime-red-pepper-maui-onion-salsa.
                              That sounds yummy and classy!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X