Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Slow Cooker Asian Barbecue Ribs https://www.manilaspoon.com/slow-coo...CqovGg9cEz4-RQ

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    vegetable beef https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ_vNUSQMZg
    6.7 oz/190 g onion
    4 stalks of green onion
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp sugar
    4 cloves of garlic
    16.9 oz/480 g beef
    2 tsp soy sauce
    2 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce
    3/4 tsp oyster sauce
    3/4 tsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    4 1/2 tsp corn starch
    3 tsp oil 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
    3 tbsp oil for cooking
    3 tsp dark soy sauce
    1 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp cooking wine
    1/3 cup water
    Black pepper
    Cut green onion in half to separate white and green parts. Slice white parts down the center in half. Then cut into two-inch slices. Cut green part into two-inch slices. Keep separate. Crush four cloves of garlic and finely mince. Cut white onion in half and then into large slices. Separate layers for quicker cooking. Set aside with whites of green onion as these will be cooked together. Slice beef into desired thickness. Thin or thicker is fine.
    Place into bowl then add the following: 2 tsp soy sauce 2 1/4 tsp dark soy sauce 3/4 tsp oyster sauce 3/4 tsp sugar 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 4 1/2 tsp corn starch Mix well. After mixing beef add: 1 tbsp oil 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil Mix again. Heat pan on medium high heat. Add 1 1/2 tbsp oil Add onion and white part of green onion. Stir fry just enough to get rid of the raw spicy taste. Season with 1/4 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Do not overcook as you want to keep the onion crunchy. Remove when done. Add 1 1/2 tbsp oil to pan. Add beef and spread out. Let beef pan fry until bottom is slightly brown and then turn over. Add minced garlic then stir into beef. Add 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine into side of pan in order to bring out aroma of the rice wine. After the rice wine evaporates add 1 tbsp of dark soy sauce and 1 1/2 tsp oyster sauce. Mix well. Add 1/3 cup of water and let sauce thicken. When sauce thickens add black pepper to taste. Add green onion and regular onion. Stir well to mix everything together.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied

Thai-Style Meatballs (Luk Chin Tod)
    500g ground pork or chicken or both. Chicken is usually leg and Thigh. Breast meat is not valued in Asia.
    • 4-6g cloves garlic, minced. Chinese/Asian and California garlic are different. Walmart has Chinese garlic 90% of the time.
    • 1-2 g coriander roots, finely chopped (or substitute with cilantro stems)
    • 12-14ml or 1Tbs fish sauce
    • 14ml 1Tbs oyster sauce
    • 5ml 1tsp soy sauce. Use Chinese or real Thai soy not Japanese. lite soy is needed, lite is not less salt.
    • sugar, use very little, a lot will depend on the oyster sauce. Start with a little pich
    • white pepper just a pinch but it should be slightly more than the sugar.
    • 1 egg, large
    • 15-25g of flour. Depends on the type. Thai flour is often low gluten. And the moisture content of the chicken will dictate.
    • Oil for frying
    1. Meatball Mixture: keep mixture very cold!!!
      • In a mixing bowl, combine ground meat with minced garlic, chopped coriander roots (or cilantro stems), fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper, and egg.
      • Mix well until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
      • Do not overmix, they will come out like store bought (rubbery)
    2. Shape and Fry the Meatballs
    3. Keep Light Brown with almost no colour. Browning is often considered unhealthy and changes the texture and flavor; aka Maillard reaction
    With Thai food there is no substitute for fresh ingredients and technique. Core proteins in the US and sauces just taste different. So try and source what you can that is imported. There is plenty of salt from the fish sauce test a batch before adding adding seasoning.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    Glass Noodle Stir-Fry https://hot-thai-kitchen.com/glass-noodle-stir-fry/
    Thai sauce; soy, Golden Mountain, oyster sauce. marinate chicken in fish sauce and oyster sauce a bit before.
    Tom Kha Gai Soup https://40aprons.com/tom-kha-soup-whole30/
    Thai sauce
    1 shallot chopped in saut? pan with peanut oil until clear add two cloves garlic and keeping cooking another minute. Add 1 tsp chili paste, add 1/4-1/2 cup soy, splash (2 tsp) white vinegar, 2-3 tbsp palm sugar (more if you like it sweet), 1/8 tsp tamarind paste, few splashes of fish sauce.
    Chicken Curry - pressure cooker
    2 chicken breasts (sliced)
    1 large 15 oz can of coconut milk
    4 tablespoons of curry paste
    2 tablespoons fish oil
    chopped carrot and/or potato
    bamboo shoots (optional)
    garnish with some thin sliced onion, cilantro, and chili oil
    Last edited by Ron Whitfield; July 19, 2024, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Whitfield
    replied
    an iron skillet does a better job at stir-fry rice
    saute green, red, yellow peppers, onion , garlic, ginger, lots of sliced button and shiitake mushrooms to saut? til almost fully cooked. rinse off cubes of baking soda marinated beef,, drain, dry, seared on one side only and removed, the rest of the process fully cooking when assembled. cold cooked rice is stir fried till it begins to crisp on the outside yet remaining white. everything is returned to the pan to combine with sauce.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    Man accused of attacking Panda Express workers over the quality of his food (hawaiinewsnow.com)

Panda Express isn't real Chinese food. He even got mad when the food was free.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    The Secret To Chinese Restaurant-Style Green Beans Is In The Sauce (yahoo.com)

You made green beans actually tasty.

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied
    14 Of The Unhealthiest Dishes At Your Favorite Chinese Restaurant (yahoo.com)Ch

Those Chinese dishes are mostly at Panda Express.

Leave a comment:

• cynsaligia
    replied
    Re: Chinese food

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    One of my blog users just mentioned that Libby Manapua Shop in Kalihi will ship out their stuff via mail order through USPS 1-2 day service. Albeit expensive compared to picking it up in person. Still, this might be valuable info' for folks off island craving that local style Manapua, pork hash, half moon and rice cake fix.

You can call them, make your order, pay by credit card and they'll send it out frozen in a styrofoam shipping container.

They also mentioned Libby's has an extended parking lot across the street now, so no need cram into that "manini" lot behind the building.

Libby's is still my favorite of all the manapua shops on Oahu. I should propose a website design to the owner. They NEED one.

*drool*

i have many fond memories of libby's from small kid time, but one of my favorites was about ten years ago. i bit into a char siu pork manapua...hmm. all bread. bit again. still all bread. i bit several more times, and i got more than halfway thru tha buggah, and only then did i get a bite of that wondrous almost fuschia porky stuff.

my snacking partner laughed. "wow...what happened there?" he asked.

i shrugged. "manapua man in training, maybe."

my snacking partner almost choked on his pork hash, he started laughing so hard. i didn't think what i said was all that funny, but the look of distress and panic on his face was priceless. thank goodness he didn't literally choke, otherwise...this wouldn't be such a fond libby's manapua memory.

Leave a comment:

• Pomai
    replied

One of my blog users just mentioned that Libby Manapua Shop in Kalihi will ship out their stuff via mail order through USPS 1-2 day service. Albeit expensive compared to picking it up in person. Still, this might be valuable info' for folks off island craving that local style Manapua, pork hash, half moon and rice cake fix.

You can call them, make your order, pay by credit card and they'll send it out frozen in a styrofoam shipping container.

They also mentioned Libby's has an extended parking lot across the street now, so no need cram into that "manini" lot behind the building.

Libby's is still my favorite of all the manapua shops on Oahu. I should propose a website design to the owner. They NEED one.

Manapua, Pork Hash, Half Moon and Rice Cake, with shoyu and Coleman's mustard dipping sauce.

Ahh, that famous pink box!

Libby Manapua Shop
    410 Kalihi St., Honolulu, HI
    (808)841-2253

MENU (all take-out, this is current)
    Charsiu pork manapua - 95¢
    Blacksugar manapua - 90¢
    Chicken manapua - $1.00
    Porkhash - 45¢
    Halfmoon - 45¢
    Pepeyau - 45¢
    Rice cake (white or brown layered) - 45¢
    Cookies (almond or tea) - 50¢
    Coconut custard mochi - 75¢
    Coconut custard mochi w/ chocolate chips - 80¢
    Spring rolls (vegetarian) - 65¢
    Spring rolls (shrimp paste w/curry sauce) - 60¢
    Pot Stickers - 55¢
    Pillows (like a turnover or pocket) - $1.20
    -Azuki bean, chicken curry, chicken teriyaki, sesame chicken, hamburger curry, pizza or bbq hamburger
    Chow fun, large (quart size) - $3.90
    Chow fun, small (pint size) - $2.85
    Gon lau mein, large (quart size) - $4.00
    - small (pint size) - $2.90

Leave a comment:

• Kaukura
    replied

Thanks for the suggestions Lei Liko and MadAzza.. I will have to try those.

Leave a comment:

• craigwatanabe
    replied

When I was in Mountain Home Idaho back in the early 80's a Chinese Restaurant opened up called The Great Wall. Eager for some ethnic food in a place where Taco Joe's was about as ethnic as it got, me and my local buddies from Hawaii checked it out.

Basically canned "Chinese" food you could buy at any Safeway that really wasn't Chinese at all but something that was supposed to resemble chinese food. I asked for chow mein and they gave me chop suey. I told them Chop Suey isn't even Chinese, it was invented in America!

But the real insult to us was when we walked in with our Scott Slippers and they told us we couldn't come in with shower clogs. I told them, "hey let's not get racist here" and that I would never EVER take a shower with these slippers, pointing to my expensive Scott Slippers.

What a disappointment.

But you want good chinese food, check out Tony Chang's Road Runner columns. He knows his chinese food.

Leave a comment:

• Vanguard
    replied

Is Lung Fung in Niu Valley still around?

That's quite decent, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Hurricane350
    replied

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
    Oh wait, you wanted MAINLAND style "Chinese" food. Never mind.
    Sorry I offended you.

Leave a comment:

• i-hungry
    replied

Probably my fault for starting from the middle of the thread but I'm was getting confused with the references to "mainland" Chinese food. I thought this was about food from mainland China and not North America.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X