Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Place to get GREAT Korean Beef or Mongolian BBQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place to get GREAT Korean Beef or Mongolian BBQ?

I'm headed to Oahu the March/April of 2007 and I am trying to scope out a list of good, great actually, restaurants where I can get some Bulgogi or find a Mongolian BBQ place that grills the food rather than cooking it on a hot slab. I rememer when we lived at Schofield Barracks they used to have weekly Mongolian BBQ night at it was SOO good. It's been over 20 years, but we've never found a place that can match it. It's like it was cooked over an actual grill that had a fine wire mesh over the grill, so they would get charbroiled rather than cooking on what is essentially a hot metal griddle, which is all we can find here in Florida and Georgia...

As for the Korean Beef (bulgogi) my mom learned to make the marinade when we lived there and it is still something we cook on the grill at homw. However, I'd love to have it in a restaurant, cooked like it should REALLY be done.

I swear I'm going to gain about 20 lbs on vacation. I feel like I'm going to eat my way across the island...

Re: Place to get GREAT Korean Beef or Mongolian BBQ?

My favorite Food is Korean!

I love Han Yang and Million Dollar Restaurant.

Check this thread...http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....ht=korean+food

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Sorabol on Keamoku
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I know a really good place in Oregon!! ROFL! ~giggle snort~ hahaha
        Doesn't do anyone any good but me!
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

hmm....not to sure where u can get the best grilled kine...the Kiawe wood place has good grilled food...but for some reason I don't like the place....can just go all u can eat and go to camellia.
          'If you have a problem. If no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, The A Team"

Comment

The three winners for Best Korean Restaurant in the Hale Aina Awards are:

Gold = Sorabol on Keeaumoku
            Silver = Kim Chee II on Waialae
            Bronze = Gina's Barbeque in Market City Shopping Center

January issue of HONOLULU Magazine has the list of all the winners if you're interested along with more details. And the August 2006 issue has the restaurant guide. Provides a nice overview to the cuisine offerings in Hawaii.

Comment

We're talking about Korean Beef and Mongolian BBQ here... not SPAM from a local magazine...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                We're talking about Korean Beef and Mongolian BBQ here... not SPAM from a local magazine...
                PJ, you just love to spank dontcha? Shoots. If I had an answer to this qery, I sure as heck wouldn't be sharing it. The problem with reviews and magazine contests is that if it's your favorite place getting outed, you can't get back in there for MONTHS. So my answer? Yum-Yum Ala Moana. hahaha.
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  PJ, you just love to spank dontcha? Shoots. If I had an answer to this qery, I sure as heck wouldn't be sharing it.
                  Participating in the discussion is one thing, signing up for HT to promote your magazine is another. Especially when virutally the same message is cross-posted to different threads.

Besides... Sorabol? Gina's? Those aren't top secret places, and would have gotten mentioned anyway. And the terms "Kim Chee II" and the word "GREAT Korean Beef" shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Average, yes. Great? Nah.

Comment

My girlfriend was just at OnJin's Café yesterday, where she reports the Boolgogi Kimchee Sandwich was simply EXCELLENT. Layers of Korean Marinated Grilled Beef (Boolgogi), topped with Kim Chee on an onion roll with lettuce and tomato and a side white bean salad and steamed broccoli - all for just $8.00. Her peers also raved over their dishes and great prices.

OnJin's Café is on Kamake'e st., kitty-corner to Office Depot and Nordstrom Rack, just behind Ward Entertainment Center.

I gotta' try this place.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                      [...]I gotta' try this place.
                      Onjin's is great! It's survived in that location when other restaurants couldn't due to street closures, sewer repairs and construction. It's survival speaks well for it.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                        Onjin's is great! It's survived in that location when other restaurants couldn't due to street closures, sewer repairs and construction. It's survival speaks well for it.
                        Absolutely second OnJin's as one of the best restaurant values in Honolulu. I wrote this review more than two years ago, and the restaurant is still going strong. Visiting friends from Japan really love OnJin's too.

Comment

I'm a meat jun kind of guy and Young's Kalbi in Aiea is great!

Comment

I know this is kinda off topic because disco didn't want this type, but...

My husband LOVES the Mongolian BBQ where you fill up your bowl and then it's cooked on that big ol' disc thing that gets kinda nasty after awhile if they don't clean it. If I could find somewhere on the island that does it, that means I won't have to hear about it anymore. It doesn't have to be super (I dont personally care for it, but I'm not a picky eater either) but if it gets him to stop talkin about it, I'm a happy girl.

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                              Participating in the discussion is one thing, signing up for HT to promote your magazine is another. Especially when virutally the same message is cross-posted to different threads.

Besides... Sorabol? Gina's? Those aren't top secret places, and would have gotten mentioned anyway. And the terms "Kim Chee II" and the word "GREAT Korean Beef" shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Average, yes. Great? Nah.
                              And that's your opinion. If you actually read, it all relates man, just trying to offer some additional information and my opinion. It's not like you have to pay for it, just trying to share it.

And if you read above that, Sorabol was mentioned already, but what's the harm in reinforcing that?

Comment

Working...
                              X