Local Bakeries' Twist-Tie Color-Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Local Bakeries' Twist-Tie Color-Codes

I have had very bad luck with bread at Safeway (Hawaii Kai). Probably had to return at least 6-8 loaves of bread, always moldy. Their explanation was that some of the bread is baked on the mainland then frozen to ship here. They put them on the shelves after being defrosted. I now spend a good 5 minutes going over each package before I buy it. You can also check the dates on the plastic tags to get an idea when they are suppose to last till.

Comment

Yeah, those dates are fine, but I want to know when they were baked!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The research is on. Here's what I've found so far, at the Star Market at Kam Shopping Center.

I drive past three pretty-good bakeries with good sliced bread (Elvin's, Fritz's, and Saint Germain, all on Dillingham), but they don't stay open late, which is usually when I do my grocery shopping.

Friday night: Pretty much all Love's Bakery products had either white or yellow ties, including the one Love's product I buy with any kind of regularity, that something-hearth bread.

Saturday night: Most of the whites gone, almost everything else yellow.

Sunday night: Everything's pretty much still yellow, but those king-sized loaves of white bread have green. I notice that all the Love's bread at the nearby Longs also has green.

Don't know if this interests anyone, but the world needs to know!
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          Interesting article, but I wouldn't put much faith into bread companies pulling bread after only 2 days. I've bought some pretty wasted bread more often than not from various markets including Safeway and Foodland. That's why I buy only the Japanese style bread that's sold at Marukai and Don Quijote.
          So are you saying Japanese bread is superior to our local or mainland breads? Or that they have a longer shelf life? Just curious. It has good 'body' to it, but it's kinda' plain. Makes good PBJ's. I prefer the fancy crust type like the one with oats on it (Pali Ridge? I forget the brand).

Interesting question Scriv'. I, for one, have never ever took notice to this before. Googlin' the subject brings up quite a few who've also pondered the question.

The most common color coding found indicates these are the days they were baked:
          Monday - Blue
          Tuesday - Green
          Thursday - Red
          Friday - White
          Saturday - Yellow

Wednesdays & Sundays bread not baked and/or delivered.

Notice it's in alphabetical order. Of course, whether our local bakeries follow the same colors is subject to further research.

So based on that, if you go into the store on Saturday morning, preferably you want one with white or yellow ties on it. Then again, stores (or bakery delivery drivers) who don't follow the procedure to sell out old inventory might still be trying to sell LAST week Friday and Saturday's delivery!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Update:

Friday night: Mostly white, some yellow.
            Saturday night: Some white, mostly yellow.
            Sunday night: Mostly yellow, some green.
            Monday night: About half green, half red. And a few orange (!).
            Tuesday night: Some green, mostly red, a few white.
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
            X