X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: healthy & salty. Oxymoron?

Originally posted by Hilo Artist View Post
    Oh wowee! Good for you
    I screwed up big time and I want to apologize to Hilo Artist for replying to his posts on water intake in a sarcastic way. I don't want to give any impressions that I was mocking him in anyway as doing so is really insensitive to anyone here on HT and so if anyone felt that way I apologize as well.

Sometimes I go overboard but I want everyone here to know I can also take whatever I dish out too.

Aloha

Craig Watanabe
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Wow, I never saw this topic as becoming so serious! I'm glad everyone's getting involved.

Jake, I agree with Layne. You'll do great! In all honesty, my not wanting to take pills daily (along with wanting to be around for my future child) are things that drive me to get healthy. I wish I could say i have good BP. I don't. I take 2 pills for that. Ever since my dad had a quad bypass and valve replacement, I've looked at things differently and have been to the doc for routine stress tests. I often refer to my time before the wedding because I focused on looking good at the wedding and lost a bunch of weight. Along with that weight loss came not having to take my BP meds. My BP was great before the wedding so I know that with a lifestyle change (I refuse to call it a diet) I can control my BP and naturally the cholesterol and triglycerides will (hopefully) be controlled as well.

So i went shopping last night and bought "No Salt" salt substitute. Not the morton brand. Tastes like Poo. Least when used as table salt. I'll try cooking with it and see if it gets any better that way.

I also went around and label shopped for some "salty" snacks. Wound up with heart healthy stuff with lots of fiber in it. Or at least things that they claim are heart healthy. My plan is to only eat a serving or two of these snacks if I'm craving. If moderation is the key then one or two servings is definitely better than leaving the bag open on my desk baby steps.

Purchases:
      Triscuit
      Sun Chips
      Honey Nut Cheerios
      All-Bran
      2% milk
      Cherries
      Strawberries

It's a start. BTW, I've discovered online that Triglycerides while being pushed high through eating a high carb, high sugar diet, can also be high due to a diet too high in calories vs calories being burnt. I'm taking that to be my case because I hardly eat any carbs or sugars soo all this bran/wheat/multigrain thing is freaking me out a bit.
      -kp!

Comment

You might want to ask your doctor about adding niacin to your treatment regimen. My husband has taken it, along with Zocor, for quite a while now and it has made a tremendous difference. Much more effective than the statin alone.

His last total cholesterol was 133, triglycerides also 133. His HDL is not great but his LDL was good which resulted in an acceptable HDL/LDL ratio.

If you decide to start taking niacin make sure you buy the "no flush" slow-release version. We found that the best and cheapest was available at Sam's Club.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
          I screwed up big time and I want to apologize to Hilo Artist for replying to his posts on water intake in a sarcastic way. I don't want to give any impressions that I was mocking him in anyway as doing so is really insensitive to anyone here on HT and so if anyone felt that way I apologize as well.

Sometimes I go overboard but I want everyone here to know I can also take whatever I dish out too.

Aloha

Craig Watanabe
          OH Wowwweeee Watanabe!!! Just kiddin! We know where you're coming from!!!
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Aloha

Craig Watanabe
            Craig

No need for an apology, we are practically neighbors here.
            Continue on and thanks for your honest message.

Aloha
            Layne

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              Hey Lavagal

Naughty girl!

It's Friday so everyone have a Great weekend! for me I am still under the weather 102 fever due to bronchitis but will make it to my cousins daughters grad party for some very salty Hawaiian food!

Eat well and stay heathy

Layne

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                Wow, I never saw this topic as becoming so serious! I'm glad everyone's getting involved.

Jake, I agree with Layne. You'll do great! In all honesty, my not wanting to take pills daily (along with wanting to be around for my future child) are things that drive me to get healthy. I wish I could say i have good BP. I don't. I take 2 pills for that. Ever since my dad had a quad bypass and valve replacement, I've looked at things differently and have been to the doc for routine stress tests. I often refer to my time before the wedding because I focused on looking good at the wedding and lost a bunch of weight. Along with that weight loss came not having to take my BP meds. My BP was great before the wedding so I know that with a lifestyle change (I refuse to call it a diet) I can control my BP and naturally the cholesterol and triglycerides will (hopefully) be controlled as well.

So i went shopping last night and bought "No Salt" salt substitute. Not the morton brand. Tastes like Poo. Least when used as table salt. I'll try cooking with it and see if it gets any better that way.

I also went around and label shopped for some "salty" snacks. Wound up with heart healthy stuff with lots of fiber in it. Or at least things that they claim are heart healthy. My plan is to only eat a serving or two of these snacks if I'm craving. If moderation is the key then one or two servings is definitely better than leaving the bag open on my desk baby steps.

Purchases:
                Triscuit
                Sun Chips
                Honey Nut Cheerios
                All-Bran
                2% milk
                Cherries
                Strawberries

It's a start. BTW, I've discovered online that Triglycerides while being pushed high through eating a high carb, high sugar diet, can also be high due to a diet too high in calories vs calories being burnt. I'm taking that to be my case because I hardly eat any carbs or sugars soo all this bran/wheat/multigrain thing is freaking me out a bit.

Kung Pao

I just rmembered a really good semi salty snack I used to get from the Natural Food store. It is these round brown rice crackers! It only has a little trace of salt on it but tastes salty. I know you will like them as my three children go nuts for them and eat all of mine. You know children , they only like things with a taste to them.

The calories on these crackers were also very low per serving. I will buy some of these and take a picture and post it here so you know what I am talking about.

These crackers comes in different flavors, sesame, oriental, and plain which is the lowest in sodium and calories. We usually buy dips from the same store and my wife like the Hummus, and I like this red pepper artichoke mix that is very low fat.

I found these at Down to Earth too!

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                  You never know if you step on someone's toes so better to take the first step in making sure you don't.

Layne, apology or not, you didn't deserve that remark from me, heck we're all trying to help each other here, healthy living is important to all of us and we should be adding to this thread constructively. My bad

Comment

You never know if you step on someone's toes so better to take the first step in making sure you don't.

Layne, apology or not, you didn't deserve that remark from me, heck we're all trying to help each other here, healthy living is important to all of us and we should be adding to this thread constructively. My bad
                    Craig

hey I apologize for my immature Woweee remark... I am really immature for a 42 year old as you can see.

I tell you what, I must treat you to lunch one of these days! Lets go have a healthy but tasty lunch at Soontaree's or my favorite Island Naturals!

I have also been wanting to try the ribs place in that Keaau open market area, Last time I was there with my family and couldnt eat , was on my diet.

Food is a great way to establish a good friendship! I sure showed Tikiyaki how much and how quick I can eat when I treated him to breakfast recently! LOL! I look like a lightweight, but still can eat and drink like a 200 pounder!

No sweat my friend, I look forward to meeting a fellow Big Island brother!

Aloha
                    Layne

Comment

Okay okay already!! Enough with the kiss kiss hug hug you embarrassing me already Ho dis kine, too grown men acting ladat...we go do em in PM eh?

Me I like to barbecue my steaks and I hemo da Alae salt...more flavor!

Sounds like we gotta do a Big Island get together!

Comment

Sounds like we gotta do a Big Island get together!
                        Plezzzzzzz...make it in September!

Mahalo

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

http://news.menshealth.com/salty-foods/2012/02/12/

These salty foods are making me thirsty.

Comment

Working...
                          X