Snakes, Scorpions & Creepy Eats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakes, Scorpions & Creepy Eats

What creepy things have you tried eating at least once in your life? Worms. Bugs. Lizards. Frogs. You name it. Or anything that crawls that isn't part of the "normal" American diet (what thing that crawls is?!).

While these critters may not look, sound or feel in texture like good eats, in many other parts of the globe they're considered a normal part of the diet, and also used for medicinal purposes.

The subject comes to mind as for some reason, this week was show & tell in the office for these things. My uchinanchu coworker shared photos of a bottle of Habu Awamori he bought in Okinawa directly from the factory at that link..

Habu Awamori - Okinawan Snake Sake (rice wine), used for medicinal purposes. The snake in it is a Viper.

Habu Awamori is said to be good for back problems and arthritis. Hmmm, my aunt might benefit from this. The article doesn't mention if you can eat the snake afterwards though. Can, or what?

While one of our accountants brought this bottle of Skorppio Vodka she picked up in Mexico (which is actually a product of the UK)...

According to their website, the scorpion is farm-raised and completely edible. Yeah, sure.. after 10 ten or more shots, maybe!

Anyone ever tried the Tequila worm? Or this Vodka Scorpion? Sober? How is it? I imagine its only flavor is the alcohol its soaking in.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Snakes, Scorpions & Creepy Eats

I haven't ventured beyond frog legs and snails...and I love both! I have relatives who think sashimi is a bit too exotic!!! Bring it on, I say!!!

I know several people who've downed the tequila worm. "Downed" meaning swallowed whole; unwilling to chew! No taste that way! Ewww. I look twice at the gummy worms I place in a dump cake!

Comment

One of the members of an email list I used to be part of a long time had a method of boiling small live fish (caught from a stream) with blocks of tofu. The fish would try to burrow their way into the cooler blocks of tofu as the water got hotter but in the end they stuck and be cooked within the blocks of tofu.

Personelly I never tried it (either eating it or cooking it).

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        The fish would try to burrow their way into the cooler blocks of tofu as the water got hotter but in the end they stuck and be cooked within the blocks of tofu.
        They featured that on a Japanese travel show I seen a while ago. Savages. lol

Originally posted by tutusue
        I haven't ventured beyond frog legs and snails...and I love both!
        Never tried frog legs. Taste like chicken, right?

Now Escargot.. C'est ci bon! Love it! Although there's no way in hell I'd eat it if weren't DROWNED in garlic butter.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Yeah, frog legs taste like chicken. I can't help thinking that they dispose of the whole frog just to eat the skinny legs. Not that I'm fond of frogs, but it just seems so cruel.

I've had fried yellow jacket larvae. Yep, as a kid. My brother dared me, so I fried a couple up and ate one. I told him how good it was, and he ate one, too. It actually wasn't bad... crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside.

Comment

I ate a live goldfish once... no chewing just swallow it really wasn't that bad. But my friend one-upped me and chewed it and showed everyone the mess in his mouth before he swallowed it... that was pretty gross.

Comment

Deleted by poster.heheheh
              Last edited by 1stwahine; August 4, 2007, 07:04 PM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                Deleted by poster.heheheh
                Awwwww, no fair!

Comment

Originally posted by nikki View Post
                  Awwwww, no fair!
                  Was too gross for HT...bumby I get Scoldings!

Auntie Lynn
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                    Was too gross for HT...bumby I get Scoldings!

Auntie Lynn
                    That wasn't gross. Brave...but not gross!!!

Comment

My big culinary adventures are no big deal on this board, but my friends and family in Ohio all think I'm weird for eating sushi and squid and mussels. I've also had escargot (yum!) and frog legs (not my thing) and once, while in Florida, I had alligator tail, which was good.
                      Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                      Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

The most daring I've been with food hasn't been by being fearless with meat products, such as balut, insects, or snakes, (A Big Mac for me would be unthinkable!) but rather by consuming vegetable and fruit-based items with horrendously vile odors emanating from them.

Durien and fried "stinky" (marinated and fermented) tofu are two foods, which in spite of their repugnant smells, proved to be quite edible once I sampled them.

And of course, there's natto, which I enjoy with nori and rice. (Natto rolls) You love it or hate it; how you feel about it seems to be always predicated on its somewhat unappetizing appearance.

Comment

I have eaten the worm many times, kinda tastes like and explosion of smoky tequilia, that is all.

I have seen the snake sake, and wanted to give it a shot, but have not had the chance. As for eating snake, it is delicious. I have had rattle snake and would gladly eat it again.

I have eaten crickets and scorpion, but have a slightly bitter,nutty flavor. I am not sure if the nutty quality came from the cooking process(dry heat/roasted) or if it the natural attribute of the critters.

As a Chef, I feel it is my duty to try everything, at least once. What is odd to us, is often normal or even a delicacy to other cultures. If it swam, slithered, or crawled, it is eatable, according to Andrew Zimmerman.

Ounce for ounce, insects and grubs provide more protein then beef, as well as provide valuable calories needed to survive.

Frog legs are D-LISH! I love em! Same with escargot. When prepared well, the are one of my favorite things.
                          Last edited by TATTRAT; August 5, 2007, 07:11 AM. Reason: type-o
                          flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

I love escargots too... also clams, oysters and mussels. But I can't help thinking that I'm eating their guts.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
                              The most daring I've been with food hasn't been by being fearless with meat products, such as balut, insects, or snakes, (A Big Mac for me would be unthinkable!) but rather by consuming vegetable and fruit-based items with horrendously vile odors emanating from them.
                              That's a great point. Many food items at fast food restaurants are far worst for your health, in comparison to the nutritional value of, say, an insect. The latter actually proven GOOD for you.

You'll certainly live longer eating grasshoppers regularly over a "Baconator" (51 grams of fat!) or Big Mac.
                              Last edited by Pomai; August 5, 2007, 09:24 AM.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X