Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corn on the cob

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
    Okay has anyone else done this?: Put the unhusked corn on the cob right on the bbq grill and cook it like that.
    Nope but a friend did put a few corn on the cob (the husk was removed) on the bbq grill. I though that was unique since my experience has been boiling the corn.

Comment

Okay has anyone else done this?: Put the unhusked corn on the cob right on the bbq grill and cook it like that. I tripped out when my friend from the mainland did that this past weekend. Most of the husk is burnt off in the process, some of the kernels get singed but dang it was freakin delicioso.

Never seen it done like that before.
      Maybe not barbecued but certainly steamed, and that was good, too.

Ronald Wong grew and sold corn in Waimanalo and I recall that being pretty darned good! I think it was a variety developed by UH called supersweet #10.

Comment

Okay has anyone else done this?: Put the unhusked corn on the cob right on the bbq grill and cook it like that. I tripped out when my friend from the mainland did that this past weekend. Most of the husk is burnt off in the process, some of the kernels get singed but dang it was freakin delicioso.

This is a great way to cook corn. I like that the silk singes off. Gives the corn a bit of smokiness; and the husks smell good throughout the grilling.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hell, YES! But I grew up in the middle of corn country. It caramelizes some of the sugars in the kernels (think high fructose corn syrup - there's a lot of sugar in corn); then you can put all kinds of things on it, if you like - a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of chili powder is a good option.

Comment

Great cooking ideas. Labor Day weekend BBQ!

Comment

why do they call it "corn-on-the-cob"? if it's on the cob, it's just corn. there should be a corn-off-the-cob instead.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
                why do they call it "corn-on-the-cob"? if it's on the cob, it's just corn. there should be a corn-off-the-cob instead.
                Because in most cases, we eat things after they are removed from their containment or structural holders. Off the cob, it's "corn." Since we have a second option, we note it as such. The simpler version is used for the "removed" version, as it's the more common form.

By your system, we'd eat apples-off-the-tree, beans-off-the-vine, beef-off-the-hoof.

And if anyone agrees with me, we can be just like peas-in-a-pod.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                  Do that in the microwave, too. The corn comes out sweet and juicy (no burned kernels). Much better for you than boiling in water and adding sugar. Another ono way to cook fresh corn is to cut if off the cob and put it in a pan with a little olive oil and minced garlic and a dash of hot sauce (I use Chermoula sauce), salt and peper and saute until slightly browned. Ooohbabygood.

Miulang

That's the way we do it. In the mw, either in husk or out. Onolicious!
                  Aloha,
                  Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                    Craig: You must mean one-inch deep kernals! We used to call the corn raised for feed horse corn, and it would be way taller than people corn.
                    Field corn (for cattle and horses) is the really tall stuff. It looks a lot different (the leaves) than people corn. A farmer down the road from us used to raise it every year, and I used to see it when we lived in Idaho too.
                    Aloha,
                    Mokihana

Comment

If you want to save yourself a drive to the windward side and value instant gratification, check out the fresh roasted Kahuku corn at the next Farmers' Market at KCC.
                      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                        Field corn (for cattle and horses) is the really tall stuff. It looks a lot different (the leaves) than people corn.
                        So does field corn taste different than people corn?

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana View Post
                          Field corn (for cattle and horses) is the really tall stuff. It looks a lot different (the leaves) than people corn.
                          Originally posted by helen View Post
                          So does field corn taste different than people corn?
                          Field corn has much lower moisture and sugar content than sweet (a/k/a "people") corn. If you see what looks like "old" corn in a field (distinguished by leaves and husk that look brown and dry), that's field corn. Low moisture means less spoilage, so it can be dried and stored longer, to be used as livestock feed.

A technical difference: field corn is harvested when it is mature, as a grain; sweet corn is harvested immature, as a vegetable.

Yes, it tastes different. You wouldn't like it. It doesn't have the taste you think of with sweet corn, and the pericarp (the outer hull, if you will) of the kernel is much harder.

Then there's popping corn, which is harvested and grown more like field corn, but with a harder starch inside the kernel. As the kernel's internal moisture is heated into steam, the starch becomes gelatinous. When the hull finally splits open, the starch and endosperm burst out like a foam, and quickly cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X