Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Foodland Ala Moana reopens on Thursday

Originally posted by mapen View Post
    I remember the Foodland and McDonalds was in the present day food court location up until at least 1983.

The McDonalds ordering counter was on the first floor with stairs up to a dining area on the 2nd floor. The 2nd floor eating area had windows that looked out onto the Foodland floor. Was an interesting set-up.
    Yes, I remember that window setup, it was interesting indeed. My memory recalls up to at least 1984 because I remember hanging out at that McDs a lot seeing if I won a hamburger or big mac based on the US team's Olympic results.

Comment

Checked it out last night, after a Koreamoku Walmart run. Here's the front....

Here's Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, which is located on the right hand side of the front entrance...

And here's Beard Papa's, also located on the right hand side as you walk in, further in from CBTL (witness the suttle Foodland-themed wallpaper)...

The left side is dominated by their deli.

As for the store itself, it's mostly new and spiffy, but nothing that screamed of dramatic architecture or innovation, visually-speaking at least... just a newer-looking Ala Moana Foodland. Simple as that.

Some tables and chairs in front of CBTL would've been kinda' cool. Jenai?!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Looks nice but had to point this one out.....
        Picture #2
        Da clerk behind da counta must be lookin at you wit da camera

Comment

So what used to occupy the space years ago where McDonalds Ala Moana now sits? Also what used to be located at the space where Foodland now occupies?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
            So what used to occupy the space years ago where McDonalds Ala Moana now sits? Also what used to be located at the space where Foodland now occupies?

Aj
            Was it Hopaco for McD?

Comment

So what used to occupy the space years ago where McDonalds Ala Moana now sits?
              India Imports was located somewhere in that area, IIRC.

Just walking in that store, I think I got high.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Aj
                My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember a restaurant where Foodland is now located.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember a restaurant where Foodland is now located.
                  I think the Coral Reef was closer to where the post office is. But I don't think the Post Office it taking up all the old space, so I'd guess that foodland is in part of that area and part of something else.

I thought India Imports was on the same side (mauka), but I could be wrong.

As for McD's, Singer sewing center was in that general area too. Didn't Hopaco become Hilo Hatties?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    I think the Coral Reef was closer to where the post office is. But I don't think the Post Office it taking up all the old space, so I'd guess that foodland is in part of that area and part of something else.

I thought India Imports was on the same side (mauka), but I could be wrong.

As for McD's, Singer sewing center was in that general area too. Didn't Hopaco become Hilo Hatties?
                    India Imports was on the makai street-level side.

Singer center was on the makai mall-level.

Hopaco was on two levels (mall and street) on the makai side.

It was the Coral Reef at the Ewa end of Ala Moana near the post office. The one at mid-mall makai of the stage was the Continental.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      India Imports was on the makai street-level side.
                      Yup. That's where it was. On the same side where McDonalds, Sam Goody's and Old Navy currently is. Of course, we all know Old Navy was the former home of Woolworths. McDonald's current location was either Hopaco, which was also on that end of the center, or India Imports. Definately.

I was very young, yet still remember going in India Imports with my sister. She wasn't a "stoner" but liked "stoney" stuff.. lol She got all her "stoney" black light rock posters and fragrance incense from there. It was a really cool store. Just the smell was a trip. lol
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                      X