Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Da' "Manapua Man"

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    God-forbid a "Manapua Man" should have a meager "soccer mom" minivan.
    No way!

A Stryker vehicle maybe, but not a minivan.
    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

In my days, Sun Sun Lau (Cantonese) sold steamed manapua. But, it was a treat when our Oahu relatives would come to visit and bring boxes of manapua and dim sum (I liked pork hash) from the "big city."

On occasion, they'd bring the baked manapua, usually from Kwong On, the place in Kaimuki (Waialae Ave.) that's closing after next Tuesday.

I never experienced the "manapua man" in Hilo although older people before me always talk about them. We did have the "yasai men," tofu factories, and "ice shave" stores ............

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
        On occasion, they'd bring the baked manapua, usually from Kwong On, the place in Kaimuki (Waialae Ave.) that's closing after next Tuesday.
        I'll be sure to pay a visit before Kwong On closes. Either this Monday or Tuesday. I bet they have additional pictures of the classic tin can-toting Manapua Man! I'll ask.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          If I had to take a guess, I'd say that this kind of Manapua Man disappeared around the mid 60's.

I have a friend who grew up in Kalihi, he remembers his Manapua Man selling okole instead of pepeau.
          The Manapua Man I know of was from the 70s. I'm not old enough to remember the 60s one. Maybe he was one of the last ones around?

What is this about the Manapua Man selling butt?

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
            What is this about the Manapua Man selling butt?
            You're blurring the activities of Chinatown now.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Growing up I remember the manapua man, yasai(vegetable) man, slop man, milk man, chlorox man, rubbish man, and someplaces had an ice man, and our dogs all ate table food. I think the okole he is referring to is the round dim sum, like a half moon only round in shape.
              Last edited by D'Alani; August 26, 2007, 09:57 AM.

Comment

I remember a dollar got me a manapua, rice cake and a cold Pepsi looooong time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne View Post
                  I remember a dollar got me a manapua, rice cake and a cold Pepsi looooong time ago.
                  Now, that would cost you about $1.80, at least at the Manapua Wagon near my office.
                  ___
                  "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                  X