Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Birthday Cake or Pie?

Hey, who voted "neither one"?
    Last edited by nikki; September 29, 2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Meh. I just want one big honkin' slab of dark chocolate ... candy, that is.

One friend of mine wants a birthday bibingka (kankanan). Another wants rice cake.

I'm not much of a [fruit- or veggie-based] pie man. I couldn't eat a slice of pumpkin pie in one sitting.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I'll take pies over cake any day. My favorites: lemon meringue, apple (with ice cream), and Anna Miller's fabulous strawberry pies. But I wouldn't turn down a good cake, especially if it's chocolate.

Cakes are prettier than pies, but I often feel they're more for show than taste. (Have you ever had a great piece of wedding cake?)

Comment

I have to agree with ericncyn that most of the "cake is like bread" faction must only have had bad cake. Nonetheless, I would rather eat a slice of divine lemon merinque or triple berry pie any day. And don't even get me started on the sweet extravaganza that is pecan pie. We love pie; more pie, please!

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
            Cakes are prettier than pies, but I often feel they're more for show than taste. (Have you ever had a great piece of wedding cake?)
            Nope. Pass. And I've never been married, but when I do, like Scriv' suggested, if my wife-to-be approves, it's gonna' be PIE! A sloppy, wet, juicy, purple Blueberry pie that she can shove in my face and get all over my white Tuxedo. lol!

You ever watch the show "Ace of Cakes" on the Food Network? Everything they make is basically a plain cake recipe (yes, yellow-colored sweetened "bread"), covered in colored Fondant. I think even Duff Goldman himself said he doesn't like the taste of Fondant. **Shivers**

I mean sure, a cake that looks like the first airplane I ever piloted would be cool, but would I enjoy eating it? Probably not. Just the "destruction" part would be fun (the first cut).
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

My father was a baker. I used to watch him practice his decorating skills, using his old-fashioned piping equipment, creating flower petals, elegant scripts, and simple illustrations. For a baker, decorating a cake is almost as important (maybe more so) than the taste of the cake itself. This is why it's the number one medium for birthdays (you can write messages on the product); or weddings (the visual centerpiece of the celebration).

A pie, on the other hand, is a homemaker's masterpiece. It's meant to be eaten.

I admire a well-decorated cake. A lot of the new Japanese style (or Korean) bakeries create these beautiful cakes, so beautiful I feel guilty cutting into it. When I taste it, it's good ... but not so good that I don't have regret about destroying it. I think: I should have left it as is and enjoyed the sight of it. It is the ultimate eye candy.

Pies, on the other hand, always invite you to eat them ... by whatever means.

Comment

alarmist, much?

Originally posted by woodman View Post
                I've had it with these cake supporters!

A good pie usually tastes as good as it looks, but cake usually tastes like exactly what it is, overglorified and oversized BREAD.

I suspect the cake lobby is behind all of these "pro-cake" posts, probably supported by big money from the cake & bread industry.

You'll have to do better than that. I can see you people coming a mile away.

Stop supporting the bread industry.

Boycott cake. EAT PIE INSTEAD!
                dooooooood!

lay off the pie...or whatever it is you're ingesting or inhaling or injecting.

whatever's in your blood has apparently made you irrational, agitated and hallucinating about cake conspirators in the same way you are hallucinating about mobs of copper-thiefing, drug-selling/drug-buying, invasive species carrying oahuans overrunning the "neighbor" islands like locusts and turning them into honolulu (nevermind the fact that there are already parts of certain neighbor islands that have certain similarities to places like...oh, irvine, california).

those of you oahuans who want to try a gorgeously luscious cake, i suggest you try the valrhona chocolate cake from mariposa. it's absolutely heavenly accompanied by a glass of sherry or port, and it's definitely not a bread.
                Last edited by cynsaligia; September 29, 2007, 09:08 PM. Reason: cause i'm funny!
                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
                  Sorry woodman, I'm not a member of any vast cake-wing conspiracy,
                  An obvious lie; why else would you post this:

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post

... here's my monkey-wrench contribution to this thread:

CHEESECAKE
                  I just want to know how much the bread industry is paying you to post comments that defend cake.

Comment

When I was a kid, My mom made me the classic Duncan Hines/Betty Crocker cake for my birthday every year. Chocolate Cake with Vanilla frosting.

I still drool when I think about it.

In later years, I grew to love white cake with white frosting...add the shredded coconut on top...even better.

Then there is RED VELVET cake, which is a newer favorite for me...especially when it has cream cheese frosting on it.

I'll take that ANY day of the week and LOVE it. Birthday cakes made in supermarkets with "buttercream frosting" are so sub-par to the ones mom used to make....I'll still eat them, but they just don't compare.

I like Pie too...but for birthday I want C A K E.

CAKE rules.

I want have my cake and eat it too, then I want a second and third piece of cake, which I want to also eat.

Can you tell I love CAKE ?
                    http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                    Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                    Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Actually...

You ALL would ditch cake AND pie if you had a great Cannoli

Due to your island location, these are probably as rare as Poi is in New York, but, I have to tell you...No Pie or cake can compare to a great cannoli.
                      Cannolis are the Rolls Royce of desserts.

Fairly easy to make too. All you need to find is the cannoli shells and make the filling.

3 cups Ricotta cheese (use the full fat kind)
                      1 1/4 cups Sugar
                      2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
                      1/2 cup Finely chopped candied
                      Citron (optional)
                      1/4 cup Semi=sweet chocolate pieces

I make these at Christmas time...and gain like 5 lbs because of it.

I've also had cake made with cannoli filling. Someone read my mind when they came up with that.
                      Last edited by tikiyaki; September 30, 2007, 08:17 AM.
                      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

tikiyaki, those of us on oahu can get cannoli at antonio's pizza, run by a couple guys named Joe Tramontano and Anthony Romano. the article, written in 2004, says the cannolis are $2.99 but now they're $3.50 (i was just there for a bday party last weekend).
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                          Can you tell I love CAKE?
                          I gotta' admit, those Drake's Cakes you sent me were really ono! But those are more like coffee cakes. Not Birthday cake, cake. lol

Per Merriam-Webster dictionary, the definition of:

Cake:1 a: a breadlike food made from a dough or batter that is usually fried or baked in small flat shapes and is often unleavened b: a sweet baked food made from a dough or thick batter usually containing flour and sugar and often shortening, eggs, and a raising agent (as baking powder)
                          Aha, see! It's a "breadlike" food.

Pie:1: a meat dish baked with biscuit or pastry crust — compare potpie 2: a dessert consisting of a filling (as of fruit or custard) in a pastry shell or topped with pastry or both
                          There's where the rules of this debate get blurred.

Can a pie really be compared to a cake? Well cakes and pies ARE usually showcased in the same place at the bakery, so choosing between the two is only natural.

Hmmm.... let's see... Chocolate Cake or Banana Cream Pie? You know my choice!
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Aha, see! It's a "breadlike" food.
                            sure, and grape juice is like a 1997 duckhorn merlot.

Originally posted by Pomai View Post

Hmmm.... let's see... Chocolate Cake or Banana Cream Pie? You know my choice!
                            great! that leaves more pieces of morton's molten godiva chocolate cake for ME to eat! thanks for your gallant sacrifice, pomai!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
                              tikiyaki, those of us on oahu can get cannoli at antonio's pizza...
                              I've been told you can get shells from R. Field, too, but I haven't confirmed this. I'm very interested in experimenting, if the shells are priced nicely.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                                Actually...

You ALL would ditch cake AND pie if you had a great Cannoli

Due to your island location, these are probably as rare as Poi is in New York, but, I have to tell you...No Pie or cake can compare to a great cannoli.
                                Cannolis are the Rolls Royce of desserts.

Fairly easy to make too. All you need to find is the cannoli shells and make the filling.

3 cups Ricotta cheese (use the full fat kind)
                                1 1/4 cups Sugar
                                2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
                                1/2 cup Finely chopped candied
                                Citron (optional)
                                1/4 cup Semi=sweet chocolate pieces

I make these at Christmas time...and gain like 5 lbs because of it.

I've also had cake made with cannoli filling. Someone read my mind when they came up with that.
                                Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                                I've been told you can get shells from R. Field, too, but I haven't confirmed this. I'm very interested in experimenting, if the shells are priced nicely.
                                very cool, tikiyaki & scriv! it just so happens i have a coworker who tried the cannoli at antonio's and wanted to get a recipe and find the shells.

Comment

Working...
                                X