King Kamehameha: Battle For Paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: King Kamehameha: Battle For Paradise

I got to admit you address all my fears about this movie Kimo. I tried to look at "the bright side" and say to myself well, if nothing else at least the world will learn something about Hawai'i and King Kamehameha. I'm more than tired of the ignorance (some not their fault, others plenty their fault) of mainlanders who are severly misinformed of Hawai'i and of the Kanaka Maoli. The things that AREN'T common knowledge up here that SHOULD be is very sad. I've actually had someone say to me after visiting Hawai'i that they didn't "get" what's the big deal with the Native Hawaiians, then follow that comment with..."F*** the culture, all we care about is the beach." Oh ya, I had to be held back on that one! This person said other various comments that has me out for blood when I see him. I'm normally more than understanding but to have someone come back from their vacation, knowing my racial background, educated on the Hawaiian Sovereignty movement, AND my feelings on it all...

BUT back to the topic at hand. The questions that came to mind after my 2 seconds of positive thought about this production:

-What exactly are they going to learn from this movie, I mean what are they going to be leaving the theater thinking?
    -How far from reality will the story be?
    -What plot lines are they going to ADD to the truth to make it "fluffy" enough for the general public to sit through?
    -Who will play the supporting cast around The Rock?
    -Will they be involving any Kanaka Maoli historians with the writing of the script and film production?
    Last edited by Lei K; March 23, 2005, 04:16 AM.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Stories such as that of Kamehameha are better handled through documentaries than feature films. So much fiction has to be put into a feature film in order to make it to the big screen (I mean, we will never know exactly what Kamehameha might have said because none of it is written down except for the legal documents) that it will get distorted.

And if the screenplay isn't pono, it wouldn't surprise me if there were all kinds of accidents that plagued the filming of it.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina
        ...then follow that comment with..."F*** the culture, all we care about is the beach."

and even that, they don't care about, cuz when they leave it, it then resembles a big ashtray/trashcan.

Comment

I'm sorry but I just have to ask. Do you guys even know what King Kamehameha was like or what he wanted for the Hawaiian people? Do you know how he felt about the British. Heck, do you even know how he managed to unite all of the islands?

By the way, Kamehameha had over twenty wives.
          I am guessing they won't cover the "white man invasion" because that didn't occur until after Kamehameha died.

Comment

Regardless of the sacriligiousness or accuracy of this movie, I'm planning on watching it simply because I have to know how Hollywood is portraying Kamehameha in order to comment on it.

True the movie probably won't be as accurate as any one Hawaiian scholar would want but unless I see it for myself, I can't criticize it if I hadn't at least watched or researched it. That would be as bad as the white man making a movie about the greatest king in Hawaiian history without consulting any experts in Hawaiian culture or history!

For what it's worth, I believe this movie should be given an objective perspective until you've seen the movie and made your own judgements regarding it's authenticity. Then let the opinions fly. It's only fair and to judge otherwise is to be as guilty as the white man who started it.

Hopefully the true story will be brought out to bring understanding to the plight of the Hawaiians. At least this movie will make those unaware of the fact that Hawaii was once ruled by a monarchy to look beyond Hollywood for the answers and try to become sensitive to the Sovereignty movement.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kamealoha
              I'm sorry but I just have to ask. Do you guys even know what King Kamehameha was like or what he wanted for the Hawaiian people? Do you know how he felt about the British. Heck, do you even know how he managed to unite all of the islands?
              Well, since you obviously have known the man personally, perhaps you might enlighten us?
              http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

From what I've been told, Kamehameha the Great was an interesting fellow, by inviting one chief (his relative I believe) for some good times but instead killed him. He pretty much ate Captain Cook too...the other white meat.

Yep he was right up there in the catagory of barbarian albeit Cook deserved to be the main menu item.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                X