Merrie Monarch 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2008

Before anyone answers kani-lehua here --- we've got Superferry & Aloha Airline threads already, so can we keep this one focused on this year's Merrie Monarch? Thanks kindly.

Comment

Just in case folks didn't see it in this morning's SB, Aunty Luana Kawelu says that so far no kumu has indicated that they won't be able to come because of what's happened.

I assume that, with all the $$$ and time invested in the MM, no halau's going to back down just yet. Gives more meaning to Hilo or bust!
      Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
      We're not here to mess around
      Boston, you know we love you madly
      Hear the crowd roar to your sound
      Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
      You know we couldn't live without you
      Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Before anyone answers kani-lehua here --- we've got Superferry & Aloha Airline threads already, so can we keep this one focused on this year's Merrie Monarch? Thanks kindly.
        Well...transporting halau to and from Merrie Monarch during this very troubling time seems pertinent to me...in this thread...kinda...sorta...really! YMMV

Seriously, I'd rather follow any MM transportation issues here rather than have to toggle between and wade thru the AA and SF threads. Just my 2 centavos. Feel free to give me change!

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
          i thought about your suggestion. but, will hilo's harbor be able to fascilitate the ferry? when the big island needed help after the 2006 earthquake, did they transfer the national guard's equipment and dock at hilo? inquiring minds want to know.
          Even if Hilo can't accomodate it, it could go Kona side, even if MM participants and guests would have to bus over to Hilo side.
          Arranging this would be great PR for MM and for SF, and for the state too, if it will allow it.

(Leo -- transportation to and from MM is indeed relevant to this thread. Maybe even extremely relevant, given the sudden and unexpected Aloha Air shutdown. And hey, nobody has used this thread to make jokes about SuperFerry protesters... yet. )

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Merrie Monarch travellers from the outer islands, make sure you rebook your Aloha Airlines travel plans to the Big Island!
            Someone oughta contact the SuperFerry and get them to do maybe just one run this week, and another after MM is pau.
            Problem solved.
            LEO LAKIO: the first quote is from craig and the second one is from lika. i merely responded to both. in a previous post, i brought up the fact that:
            olana a'i said that she has app. 100 people in her entourage that were flying on aloha for merrie monarch. while i understand aloha's customers' frustration (myself included), think of all the families that will be affected when the app. 3500 employees go on unemployement. so much uncertainty
            while not every halau is in the same situation as olana a'i, it wouldn't be the same festival if the halau couldn't even get there. hopefully, it will all work out.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              Even if Hilo can't accomodate it, it could go Kona side, even if MM participants and guests would have to bus over to Hilo side.
              Arranging this would be great PR for MM and for SF, and for the state too, if it will allow it....
              Staying over on that side isn't unheard of. Last year, Kapua Dalire-Moe's halau and their musicians stayed in Waikoloa and were bus-ed in and out Hilo each night.

It's a long drive, but that's what happens in Hilo during MM season if if you don't book well in advance like most halau do!
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                Staying over on that side isn't unheard of. Last year, Kapua Dalire-Moe's halau and their musicians stayed in Waikoloa and were bus-ed in and out Hilo each night. It's a long drive, but that's what happens in Hilo during MM season if if you don't book well in advance like most halau do!
                Amen to that. Typically, people start making reservations for the next year the day after the current MMF ends!
                Lots of 'em stay in Waikoloa and Kona, since Hilo sells out in something like 7 minutes.
                Hey, if SuperFerry can't do it, maybe one of the cruise ships could. Or how cool would it be for the Navy to step in and help?!? Lingle has tried to step in and halt the Aloha closure (and that didn't work), so now her office should check out some of these alternatives for MM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Well...transporting halau to and from Merrie Monarch during this very troubling time seems pertinent to me...in this thread...kinda...sorta...really! YMMV
                  Yes - but the second question about the '06 quake and the like had more potential than the earlier comments to steer this thread into unrelated territory. But no need anybody get all huhu. Remember - I'm the King of Derailment.

Comment

the second question had to do with docking in hilo where the merrie monarch festival, as we all know, is held. even though i had participated in the festival as a dancer (many years ago), i didn't realize that halau traveled from kona to hilo. the point i was trying to make was whether or not both hilo and kona harbors were equipped to receive the ferry that could have hypothetically transported attendees of the festival.
                    Last edited by kani-lehua; April 1, 2008, 11:28 AM.
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                      that was the point i was trying to make.
                      That's okay - I wasn't trying to single you out in any case, or anyone else who had posted before. No one was being bad - I just wanted to give a gentle reminder that, as recent posts had the potential to steer this into territory better covered elsewhere, perhaps we could keep this thread focused on the competition and event itself, as previous threads on MM have done.

Since I can't be at the event, I love to read local perspectives on what goes down - and would rather read about the foibles of ferries and antics of airlines somewhere else.

Comment

I'll repeat what I said earlier -- transportation issues to and from Merrie Monarch (along with housing issues) are indeed totally viable and important parts of this thread and clearly do belong here.
                        IMHO, this thread is being derailed more by complaining about that, and then folks defending it, than if the discussion just continued unchastised.
                        Let's leave moderating to the moderators.

So. Has anyone looked at the Gift Shop page on the MM website? Some very cool stuff this year, as usual.

Comment

That's okay - I wasn't trying to single you out in any case, or anyone else who had posted before. No one was being bad - I just wanted to give a gentle reminder that, as recent posts had the potential to steer this into territory better covered elsewhere, perhaps we could keep this thread focused on the competition and event itself, as previous threads on MM have done.

Since I can't be at the event, I love to read local perspectives on what goes down - and would rather read about the foibles of ferries and antics of airlines somewhere else.

I was invited to attend the festival this year. Tickets and housing arrangements all taken care of! But I've got a lot going on right now and we're headed to the mainland in a few weeks. Plus a little inconvenience we commonly refer to as a "work schedule," lol, so I had to turn down the offer. As I'm watching it on TV I'm sure I'll be wishing that I was there.
                          Maybe next year! Oh---and the flights were on Hawaiian.

Comment

What a wonderful idea! You first...

Comment

I'll repeat what I said earlier -- transportation issues to and from Merrie Monarch (along with housing issues) are indeed totally viable and important parts of this thread and clearly do belong here.
                              IMHO, this thread is being derailed more by complaining about that, and then folks defending it, than if the discussion just continued unchastised.

So. Has anyone looked at the Gift Shop page on the MM website? Some very cool stuff this year, as usual.
                              pela i'a no!
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Bob Jones weighs in (in MidWeek) on the "bad boys" of contemporary hula - specifically, two California-based kumu hula: Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu & Patrick Makuakane.

Comment

Working...
                                X