Presumptuous or respectful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presumptuous or respectful?

My ohana is new to the Big Island. We have lived in several unusual places and I was an exchange student in France when I was in high school. I am very interested in other cultures and languages. I was intrigued to learn that there are Hawaiian-immersion preschools here (we have a 3-year-old). Maybe I should mention we are white...and my son is blond and blue-eyed. My point is, we plan for our son to grow up here. It seems to me that he should learn the language and customs of his adopted home. I don't know that he would even be accepted to a Punana Leo preschool, but is it presumptuous to apply? Are we being supportive/assimilative? Or sort of colonial and wanting something that properly "belongs" to Hawaiians alone? Mahalo for your thoughts.

Re: Presumptuous or respectful?

My first advice is to try to apply and see what happens. If you get in great, if not well at least you tried.

Unless of course you have the feeling that the people who run the Punana Leo preschool be offended by anyone attempting to apply to the school?

Comment

The very fact that you're asking about this seems to be a good indicator that you are approaching this with the right attitude -- respectful and wishing to learn. There's no racial barrier to learning and speaking the Hawaiian language. Go for it. Just don't pretend to actually be Hawaiian, because you're not and you will never be.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
        My first advice is to try to apply and see what happens. If you get in great, if not well at least you tried.

Unless of course you have the feeling that the people who run the Punana Leo preschool be offended by anyone attempting to apply to the school?
        Thanks, Helen...I have actually done the written application (which includes a letter explaining why we desire our family to be involved). An interview will be scheduled next month. But, my husband mentioned this to a few people at work and got raised eyebrows (not really negative, more surprised) and I started wondering if I had made a wrong move...I don't want to be offensive to anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
          The very fact that you're asking about this seems to be a good indicator that you are approaching this with the right attitude -- respectful and wishing to learn. There's no racial barrier to learning and speaking the Hawaiian language. Go for it. Just don't pretend to actually be Hawaiian, because you're not and you will never be.
          I agree with Glen on all of his points above.

I have a friend who has hapa (Japanese/caucasion) children. They were in the Hawaiian immersion program during elementary school.

HTer, Pua`i Mana`o, will be a good source of information should she pop into this thread.

Comment

Just remember in any immersion program parental involvement is essential. And that includes parent/teacher meetings in Hawaiian.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I struggle with this as well - although my issue is more that my non-Hawaiian child might be taking up a spot that a maoli kid could be utilizing. My youngest is due to start kindergarten next school year and I am thinking about applying to a Hawaiian charter school.

I was in Waikiki during the celebration of 20 years of Aha Punana Leo. It was awesome to me to hear keiki conversing in olelo hawai'i and I talked to some of the parents and administrators about my concerns. They told me the same thing - just apply and see what happens. So, that's what I am planning to do.

Just remember in any immersion program parental involvement is essential. And that includes parent/teacher meetings in Hawaiian.
              The parents that I spoke to are also taking classes so that they can speak to their children in olelo hawai'i at home. I am totally down for that!

When I was in Japan, the daycare on base had a long waiting list and I looked into taking my kids to a Japanese daycare but the caregivers put me off, telling my interpreter (my friend) that they were afraid to have my kid in their class because in an emergency, they might not be able to communicate with me. Pretty lame excuse as I was learning Japanese and an interpreter was only ever a phone call away but I let them talk me out of applying. I got a nanny instead but I regret now that my kids could have learned Japanese fluently.
              Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
              My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

The PL has long held a forward-thinking position on the matter of including families of all ethnicities into their educational fold.

Go for it!

pax

Comment

Working...
                X