Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portuguese Genealogy

http://www.islandroutes.com/

"It's because of the LDS church (and Mormon relatives ) keeping such great records of their Polynesian community that I can prove 8 generations on paper. I'm learning more oral genealogy about my family though. I wonder if your genealogy is not an actual paper record would school still accept it if you wrote it down for your project?

I can only go back 4 generations Pake. China is a pain in da okole about letting people in their records, it seems. Anyone who knows how to research family records from China please educate me. Pukiki family lines have proved a tad more easy, I got 5 generations in Hawai`i, about 2 generations back on the mother isles. Anyone know a good resource on how to get Portuguese records?
    My husband has ancestry on paper back to the 890's. As a genealogy freak that blows my mind to go through, it's amazing.

Were there always family tree projects in school ova in da aina? I neva got to do one during my time in school there.

Sorry to get off topic." posted by leikaina, 4/24/07 in the, "gay people in hawaii culture" thread.
    Last edited by kani-lehua; April 20, 2008, 03:48 PM.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Re: Portuguese Genealogy

Haven't checked HT in a while, nice to come back and see this. Will go check it out! Mahalo!
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
      Haven't checked HT in a while, nice to come back and see this. Will go check it out! Mahalo!
      it's quite interesting. i learned something new: name changes. my great-great gramps was known to us as JOHN (one of the founders of the antonio society). but, according to the site, he was JAO (something like that). even his children's names had different variations.

you mentioned the difficulty in doing your chinese genealogy. the same thing applies for those researching their japanese roots. and, for those of us who are part hawaiian, genealogies were passed down orally and later documented.
      "chaos reigns within.
      order shall return."

Comment

Joao seems to be a popular name in my Portuguese genealogy as well. I also had a great grandfather by that name (from Sao Miguel). Have you been able to find out a lot from the website you linked me to? I plan on spending my free time tonight looking around there. I do have my ancestry traced back to both Ponta Delgada, Sao Miguel and Funchal, Madeira through Portuguese lines. I have no "mainland" Portugal ancestors for the last few hundred years from what I can see. I haven't found one yet. Seems I'm an islander no matter what way you look at things.

My Chinese family immigrated from Guangdong (Canton) like most Chinese in Hawai'i. My great grandpa was actually president of the Chinese Society for a bit. I don't know much about my Chinese family previous to the mid 1800s. I imagine it's probably hard for most of us to find those things out. I'm always open to finding out new ways to research those roots. I must have the world's most common Chinese surname as my main Chinese surname. The other one has to be like the 3rd most common surname.

My Hawaiian family history is very interesting and has been great fun to learn more now that I've found more knowledgeable family members. I'm lucky to have a lot down on paper but of course, there was so much I didn't know that was passed down. My tutu's memories of what her parents told her isn't as great as they used to be so it was nice to find family to fill in da gaps in what I knew. Tutu came from a family with a mother who wanted her to be modern and leave behind Hawaiian ways/thinking (etc) and a father who taught it to her secretly.
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

to tell you the truth, i didn't spend much time on the site. when one researches genealogies, it can take many, many hours. thankfully, my father along with wayne davis (genealogist), did his paternal portuguese side. his great grandfather was born in santa justa, lisbon (lisboa). i do think you will find it interesting, though! there's also links to other websites.

as far as the hawaiian side, me thinks all kanaka are related?!

have fun and don't get frustrated.
          "chaos reigns within.
          order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by Lei K View Post
            My Chinese family immigrated from Guangdong (Canton) like most Chinese in Hawai'i.
            (Nearly) All Chinese were immigrated from Canton during the old plantation days. So was my "Chinese" side. Going back to tacking it down. Here is my quick story as example.

My Grandmother was born in 1912. She is hapa Chinese. Her father was a business man and traveled. Her "real" family moved to Chicago (via SF). Her mom died. So her father send her to China to stay with some family. My Grandma sold her "passport." As a youngster, she didn't really know what it was for.

Long story short, she was able to leave China.

So there is another person in the U.S. with my Grandma's real identity.

Granda used her Chinese name from then on. Had to become a U.S. Citizen again. So there is someone with her English name around. And I'm sure that person is married, have great grandkids by now.

Is if any one of us was to trace our family history, it would get messed up.

P.S. Many Chinese names were changed during that era.

"Hey Chinaman, what's your name????"

Ahhhhh..........Soon.

"Ok. Mr. Ah Soon."

What Soon his first name? Last name? Nick name? Or just something sounded like "Soon" to the Haole boss?
            Last edited by cabanalane; June 5, 2008, 08:08 AM.

Comment

what an interesting story!

as with the chinese, other ethnicities' names were changed.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

I've just started tracing my Portuguese ancestry over the last year. The LDS resources are great especially since my family has not kept good records. Unfortunately I've gotten stuck once I get back to the Azores.
                The http://www.dholmes.com/ site is a good reference too. It has ship lists but unfortunately they don't have complete manifests. Would love to touch base with someone who has more insight on Portuguese geneology research especially once you leave Hawaii and have to trace back thru Portugal.

Comment

Working...
                X