Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another takeover of Iolani Palace

tread lightly.

LOL. No Fear Here. This is Hawaii, not Oakland, CA. In fact, I just had a "regulator" event at the beach while camping this weekend. If you want inflammatory, I can provide that also.

If what I say upsets you, perhaps you should stop asking folks to read it to you.
    FutureNewsNetwork.com
    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Sad that this latest palace "takeover" will probably lead to the following measures:

1) Beefed up (and possibly armed) DLNR security force on the Palace grounds, around the clock.

2) Increased security camera surveillance, both inside the building and throughout the grounds.

3) Metal detector at the gates.

Sad how the vanity of a few is spoiling it for everyone else.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

But here's a different case, in which a HPD officer acted quickly and decisively with a citizen.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
          But here's a different case, in which a HPD officer acted quickly and decisively with a citizen.
          I'm confused now. Isn't the lack of HPD assistance related to the citizen/volunteer victim being on Palace grounds? The victim in your cited article wasn't anywhere near the Palace.

I've witnessed HPD officers reacting quickly but I've never seen an altercation at the Palace. Or, am I missing something?

Comment

What I want to know is: Did everyone put on their booties?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
              What I want to know is: Did everyone put on their booties?
              Thanks for the smile in the midst of this thread, Lavagal.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I'm confused now. Isn't the lack of HPD assistance related to the citizen/volunteer victim being on Palace grounds? The victim in your cited article wasn't anywhere near the Palace.
                Nothing to do with the Palace, everything to do with police officers.
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Was this incident labeled "The Malice in the Palace?" Was the Kings Ron Artest there?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Was this incident labeled "The Malice in the Palace?" Was the Kings Ron Artest there?
                    Do you mean this guy?
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

We need for all of the facts to be revealed before jumping to any conclusions about HPD's response (or lack thereof) to the latest occupation of Iolani Palace. But already, the police chief (Boisse Correa) seems to be taking a defensive position instead of having an open mind.

http://starbulletin.com/2008/08/17/news/story02.html

In a written statement, Honolulu Police Chief Boisse Correa said he is aware of the allegations, and has ordered an internal review.

Correa defended the police response, saying that their assistance was requested by the state Department of Public Safety.

"As a result of the request, I authorized that all necessary resources be provided," Correa said. "The actions taken by our officers last night were appropriate."

So without knowing all of the facts regarding the sargeant who is alleged to have taken no action on a Palace employee being assaulted,.... without knowing all the facts on why it took 3 hours for HPD to finally take action against this Kingdom of Hawai'i group, Chief Correa sums up the performance of his department as being "appropriate." How disappointing.

Seems to me that Correa may not be maintaining an objective viewpoint on the matter of Hawaiian sovreignty groups taking over the Palace. When another "Kingdom of Hawai'i" group took over the palace grounds a few months ago, it was reported that Correa not only talked with Queen Mahealani Asing and her supporters, but that he hugged and shook hands with them. Granted, he did so out of uniform and not in an official capacity. But it wouldn't surprise me if the sargeant and the 911 operator accused of saying that they couldn't do anything because it's "not in their jurisdiction" could be taking their cue from the Chief.

Personally, I think more than an internal investigation is merited.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 17, 2008, 09:52 PM.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Just read a bunch of comments in the Star website. Gosh, I'm cracking up.

I have this vision of Don Knotts playing the king, and slapstick comedy watching him and his group of nitwits try to find the throne.

And Keanu thinking MY post was offensive. Bwahahahahahahahahaha. Gut hurts. Tears flowing. Cheeks are cramping from the perma-smile.

At best, the SovMov has been reduced to a cartoon on the Editorial Page.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

It does appear that an assault took place.The AG just arrested a retired provost marshal in connection with this alleged infraction today.

On that note,there was a interesting comment posted here about this situation.

"To: sfka2000

Your post is biased and poor. Check your information before you spew crap from your mouth. My friend works with the employee who was assaulted. She was already INSIDE the gates (duh, she was at work) and they tried to force her OUT. These are not freedom fighters - they're thugs!"
                          Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post

I've witnessed HPD officers reacting quickly but I've never seen an altercation at the Palace. Or, am I missing something?
                            Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            Nothing to do with the Palace, everything to do with police officers.
                            C’mon Burl, that’s a cop out. Tutusue is bringing up an important point here. HPD is the only common denominator in your article, which is otherwise irrelevant. The main issue here is that ‘Iolani Palace is a state monument, and as such, where are the state officers (DLNR, state sheriffs, etc.) in all of this? As far as I’m concerned, this is dereliction of duty on their part. The mere fact that they got there after HPD, particularly less then three months after a similar sovereignty group incident, is a disgrace.

The easy thing to do, is point fingers at the cops. That seems to be the cool thing to do these days.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                              I have this vision of Don Knotts playing the king, and slapstick comedy watching him and his group of nitwits try to find the throne.
                              Did you see Saturday and Sunday's posts on Ian Lind's blog? He agrees with you, Tim:
                              Maybe this latest group of monarchists should forget the occupation and concentrate on the screenplay. It’s a definite winner: A hapless band of would-be monarchists, led by the bumbling but charming ex-con, leave their base on Maui to launch an assault on the palace he has previously claimed as his own during a coronation ceremony ignored by virtually everyone. What he really wants now is to chain himself to the throne but has no idea where to find it once they’ve broken into the building. Their ambassador arrives in a taxi and hurriedly puts on a cast-off United Nations jumpsuit. They’re able to make substantial progress towards their goal because of a simmering political dispute between city and state law enforcement officials. Palace employees huddled in a locked room call 911 to report they are under seige only to be told that they are out of the Honolulu Police Department’s jurisdiction. It could be a hilarious “Viva Max” redux without Davy Crockett and the Alamo, or perhaps something more along the lines of Peter Seller’s classic, “The Mouse that Roared”.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And yet, in all this, lots of folks in Hawaii will tell you it's the school system that sucks.

Did you ever read "The Bell Curve"?

I mean, seriously folks, how could you NOT be embarrassed to the core of your cultural identity.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Working...
                                X