Hawaii's Homeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaii's Homeless

Denizens of a homeless camp at the Waianae Boat Harbor have been notified of their impending eviction. They've been allowed to remain for 9 months. They're going to end up somewhere, shelter or no shelter. Those Makaha neighbors have a chance to show compassion by not fighting the proposed Saint Francis shelter, or to perpetuate the NIMBY mind-set that makes suburbs suburbs. It's going to be interesting. Maybe the fact that the shelter would be run by the Catholic church will help ease the justifiably worried minds of parents in the area about an increased presence of the indigent.
    Don't be mean,
    try to help.

Comment

gotta' have heart in depressing situations but watch out for the cons too yah. no one can say anything bad about the charity work the church does in situations like this.
      this space for rent

Comment

Both my wife and I work full-time jobs. Not large salary ones though and with the cost of housing, insurances, food and clothing, having raised kids and paying Federal/State taxes, we are "just keeping our heads above the water". We have neighbors that used to complain to us that they're not getting enough help, although they have all been on section 8 for years. They sit on their behinds while getting extras like car insurance paid, or help with moving expenses, etc. I lost it one day and said that "No one's helping us and they(The Government) take thousands of dollars every year from us, that don't have much, to give to people like you that aren't willing to earn your own way. They are not mentally ill, just lazy. I was laughed at and the reply was that they found out how to use the system. At least they don't try to get sympathy from me anymore. Now understand that I believe that there are people that can not make it on their own and we individually and corporately as a nation need to help, but I'm tired of being taken advantage of so badly. I can't even save up for my "rainy" day living from paycheck to paycheck.
        Do you think that there will be another tax revolution?
        Or how about the direction here in Hawai'i of the people willing to do the service jobs not being able to afford to live here and that only leaves the one's that can afford it but not willing to do "those" kinds of jobs? What's next?
        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
          I lost it one day and said that "No one's helping us and they(The Government) take thousands of dollars every year from us, that don't have much, to give to people like you

doesn't sound like ya lost it.
          sounds like ya found it.
          "grew a couple" as it were...

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Finally a glimmer of hope for the homeless on Oahu: St. Francis Healthcare System might be turning the old First Hawaiian Bank Employees recreation center in Makaha into a homeless shelter. And this one won't look like low-income housing, either. It'll have all kinds of recreational amenities for the residents and keikis and could house up to about 50 people. And it's far enough away from Honolulu that it might help relocate some of the homeless from some of the beaches.

Wonder what the neighbors in Makaha will say about this plan?

Miulang
            It's a shame that the rec center would be turned into a shelter. It's really a fantastic place and I know it'll turn that area into bad place. The rural lifestyle of those residents who live just below will hate it, I know.

The problem with most homeless is that they just want to be left alone. For what? It seems to be left alone to conduct illicit activity such as drugs as seen at many homeless sites around Oahu. They don't seem a bit interested in respecting the Aina. Look at Barber's Point. When the military left, the place turned into a slum with trash and evidence of vandalism all over the once pristine shorelines as well as the surrounding buildings. It seems the military had a better awareness of the land than those who now occupy it.

With the foresight of what can happen to Barber's Point one can only surmise the impact of putting the homeless at FHB's rec center.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
              It's a shame that the rec center would be turned into a shelter. It's really a fantastic place and I know it'll turn that area into bad place. The rural lifestyle of those residents who live just below will hate it, I know.

The problem with most homeless is that they just want to be left alone. For what? It seems to be left alone to conduct illicit activity such as drugs as seen at many homeless sites around Oahu. They don't seem a bit interested in respecting the Aina. Look at Barber's Point. When the military left, the place turned into a slum with trash and evidence of vandalism all over the once pristine shorelines as well as the surrounding buildings. It seems the military had a better awareness of the land than those who now occupy it.

With the foresight of what can happen to Barber's Point one can only surmise the impact of putting the homeless at FHB's rec center.
              I think this place might be different, simply because it'll be run by a private (albeit the Catholic Church) agency and not the State, and they should be able to enforce the rules about no drugs, etc. better than the State. What I know about the "tent cities" that we have in my area is the residents police themselves and if they find someone doing drugs or drinking alcohol in the camp, or if a new resident has committed a felony, the residents will call the cops because they know they have to behave themselves in order to break the stereotype of all homeless people being bums.

The center apparently will also have job training programs and counseling available. Many of the homeless people don't want to be homeless, they just fell behind in the rent payment. Many actually work at jobs, but what they bring in doesn't cover the high cost of rent. Except for the druggies and others who don't want to be helped, I think it's commendable that the Catholic Church wants to help some decent but down-on-their luck people to a better life. I'd rather see those people try to earn a decent living so they can become productive citizens rather than let them give up hope entirely of ever leading decent lives and forever leech off the state.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I seen how bad it is with the homeless. My Uncle a Catholic priest give's food out to the needy and one day I got to see first hand how bad it truely was. I mean the people were like a pack of wolves when the food was given and than they complained that it was too little for them to survive on and I guess they wanted more, so they started to harras the people giving them food and argue. I know life is hard around but life is what you make of it. Some of the people I know didn't choose to be in that predicament and I personally applaud those who got out of that bad life style.

I am sick of looking at my small paycheck or what's left of it when all the bills eat away at it and hear some of my friends who survive on Well Fair complain about how bad their life is, when all they do is sit around and mope "POOR ME" and they have EBT cards and wellfair is paying for their house electricity and car insuriance.

I paid for everything I have and it's a blessing I am still above water living pay check to pay check. But at time's I do try to help out people by giving a dollar or two to people with signs saying they are poor. One day I was hanging with my friends and I told them what I do to help out and they laughed at my idea they told me not to give them any more money because I am only funding their drug and bear money. and I think they are right. What is to be done with the growing population of homeless people? I mean shelters and churches helping out the needy are great but it will only make them dependable to society rather than independant.

On a further notice I want to see them leading decent live's making something of theirselves, becoming a contributing citizen of society. We all have that GOD GIVEN RIGHT.
                Last edited by Pedro; July 1, 2005, 11:21 AM.
                A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

I too served in soup lines only to have a homeless person spit in my face or worse, directly in the food trays! They tell me, "You don't know what it's like to be out in the streets".

How do you respond to that one? Of course I don't know but heck I'm here to help! What I did learn that day was that at least life in a home taught me an appreciation for a hot meal.

So you wipe your face clean, replace the food tray and politely ask, "would you like some rice with that?" and go on to the next sour face with another insult to your integrity.

I've learned in life that you get what you put into it. I worked hard to get to where I'm at now, retired at age 45 and living well. I've paid my dues to the needy doing volunteer work, contributing to AUW, even going so far as to give my lunch to a homeless person sitting outside my workplace in Kakaako.

Some of the homeless tell me they just want to be left alone. They just want to exist but not work hard for the simple things we take for granted like a hot shower and a warm bed to sleep in. They complain yet they do nothing to better their lives.

So why do I always give a couple of Twenty dollar bills to some barefoot guy hunched over in his tattered shirt? Because he needs it. I don't wait for him to ask, I just go over to him and tell him, "Please take this" and I quickly walk away before they can rant about not being a charity case.

I do this because one day it could be me out on the streets and I hope to God that someone will do unto me as I have done unto them and spare me the humility of begging.

Dispensing charity to the homeless is like trying to give a child their medicine. They kick and buck and resist like hell but you know it's for their own good and you keep on dishing it out. It's not your ego you're trying to save...it's their lives and every life on this planet is a gift from God and we should treat them as such. We owe it to humanity to take care of our weak and our poor for it could very well happen to any one of us.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Amen to that, Craig. Many of us are one or two paychecks away from that precarious existence. The ones who panhandle just for money more than likely are the ones who just want drug, booze or cigarette money. The ones who say they want to be left alone probably have mental health issues. And yes, sometimes when you think you're helping out the person (by giving food rather than cash), that person will "reward" you by berating your act of charity. That's when you know that that person is an addict.

One time we saw this guy sitting on the sidewalk of a hamburger joint we went to, so besides our food, we got him a hot meal and coffee. He wasn't begging or anything, but when he got the food, he called over one of his buddies and shared his meal with that person.

I believe that if you give of your time or your money with no ulterior motive other than to help someone down on their luck, that you are rewarded threefold for your act of kindness.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I too served in soup lines only to have a homeless person spit in my face or worse, directly in the food trays! They tell me, "You don't know what it's like to be out in the streets".

How do you respond to that one?

ya say
                      "chuck you, farley, I'm outta here". race to the nearest shower, then go home to watch football with yer buddies.

Comment

So why do I always give a couple of Twenty dollar bills to some barefoot guy hunched over in his tattered shirt? Because he needs it.

I do this because one day it could be me out on the streets and I hope to God that someone will do unto me as I have done unto them
                        ...you don't give money beCAUSE he needs it. You are buying insurance in case YOU end up in his position.

and spare me the humility of begging.
                        But you don't want to do something to spare yourself the humility of being homeless?

Comment

Fire away.[/QUOTE]

A coordinated clean sweep effort needs to be done, starting with the Mayor, the police and the communities. The Mayor needs to get creative or have the homeless situation get out of hand. Combined with the police department or an off shoot committee, determine who is "homeless by circumstances" and who is mentally disturbed. Loitering laws have to be strictly enforced. A tent city prison maybe.

The folks who are homeless by circumstance will be corralled and put into the Aloha Stadium. (or other H.S. fields) They will all be given jobs, whether it be manning a booth at the Swap Meet, cleaning the stadium, or running concession stands during events. All for no pay. This is their trade for having somewhere safe to sleep. If you Don't report to your job they kick you out. Subjecting you to the newly strictly enforced loitering laws.

I saw a woman live under the Piikoi bridge for over 6 months before anyone did anything about her.

Comment

Missing kids adding to Hawai'i's homeless?

The State needs to do a much better job of keeping tabs of the kids that have been placed in foster care. According to this Advertiser article, there were at least 38 kids in foster home placement who cannot be accounted for. Presumably they are all runaways, which probably means they are living on the street and in physical danger.

I am amazed that the state laws don't allow for Maile alerts to be put out immediately when a foster child runs away. If the DHS doesn't have the staff or funding to keep track of the kids entrusted to their care, why can't the State allow the press and private citizens to kokua right away? Does it take having one of these kids ending up being murdered on the street before the community is allowed to act?

This fact is really appalling: "...On O'ahu, which accounts for nearly two-thirds of the missing children, no special effort is made by police to find them. Once they run away, they are part of the 1,000 runaway children the Honolulu Police Department's Juvenile Services Division investigates annually. And it's a daunting task: HPD has five officers assigned to the runaway detail..."

I really hope the citizens of the State can pressure the Legislature to change laws regarding public notification of runaways. I really hope there are no more "Peter Boy" incidents. Every kid, no matter how pilau their attitude, deserves a chance at having a secure home and a proper education. I think the State is failing in that regard with the current DHS rules that are in place.

Miulang

P.S. One reason why Amber (Maile) alerts to the public are valuable is because Shasta Groene, the little girl who was kidnapped along with her brother Dylan in Idaho, was saved because her picture was plastered all over the place. She was missing for 6 weeks (and her brother is still missing and presumed dead), but some alert people who had seen the Amber alert pictures called police. She was being held captive by a registered child predator.

Comment

I might have a little controversial view on the whole homless problem. This is how I see it. If you can beg for money, you can beg for a job. I hope this doesn't offend anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by dee_diddy
                                I might have a little controversial view on the whole homless problem. This is how I see it. If you can beg for money, you can beg for a job. I hope this doesn't offend anyone.
                                that apology is offensive to those that don't subscribe to the very hypersensitive politically correct view of everything nowadays, where ya haveta walk on eggshells and learn of this month's P.C. label for each race, all genders, social strata, etc that change more often than the wind...

Ya know, the hopeless don't NEED to work, when they can earn MORE than minimum wage just panhandling!
                                Last edited by kimo55; July 3, 2005, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X