Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Christmas Came to Hawaii

As presented by Hoku Paoa Stevenson at the Summer Palace
    1786 Captain George Dixon was a long way from home. He reflected briefly on the lot of a sailing man. The warm breeze which rocked the Queen Charlotte gently at anchor was pleasant enough, but he would have welcomed the December winds and the roaring fires that were part of Christmas in England. He would have liked to look out on glistening holly and snow-covered spruce instead of the palm trees on the shoreline and he would surely miss the rich sweet taste of the traditional plum pudding.
    Still, he was a sailor; he could make home of any port. And there was a great tradition to be observed, even if he had to make do with what he had. So, on this December 25, 1786, he ordered a Christmas dinner and a bowl of punch prepared. A pig was brought from shore and roasted, the galley crew made pie and for this special occasion, the day's ration of grog was mixed with coconut milk.
    From the deck of the Charlotte in Waimea Bay, Kaua`i, Sandwich Islands, his men toasted friends and family at home in England, and the miles between the two island kingdoms were bridged, for a moment, by the bumpers of the curious liquor. It was Hawai`i's first Christmas.
    1819 Close by in the bay, a light burned late below decks in another of His Majesty King George's ships. Capt. Nathaniel Portlock added a final footnote to his log. That day he had gone ashore and distributed a pocketful of trifles to the native children who followed him wherever he went.

LINK: To read rest of story....

Re: How Christmas Came to Hawaii

Thanks for posting that. Hoku was a the former live-in caretaker at Queen Emma's Summer Palace and a dear friend of mine (I had the honor of giving her away at her wedding in St. Andrews), but sadly she passed a few years ago. Her memorial service brought hundreds of people, including music by her friends Jerry Santos and the late Auntie Genoa Keawe.
    Hoku had a brilliant mind and an outrageous sense of humor, and was a tenacious researcher and author, as seen in the artcile you posted.
    She is still missed.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
    X