Barnes & Noble doomed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Barnes & Noble doomed?

I'd like to see that happen, just to prove that we won't find ourselves in "third world" conditions.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
      Depends on what you mean by "decent bookstore."
      BN and Borders have only been here since the early and mid-90s. Before that, we had mall bookstores and a couple of tiny independents.
      Decent, as in BnN/Borders, where you have a large selection, most mags, chairs, internet, and without someone who's life depends on sales screaming THIS ISN'T A LIBRARY! I want mainly magazines any way and TOWER RECORDS was really good for that.
      Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 18, 2013, 10:52 AM.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        Decent, as in BnN/Borders, where you have a large selection, most mags, chairs, internet, and without someone who's life depends on sales screaming THIS ISN'T A LIBRARY! I want mainly magazines any way and TOWER RECORDS was really good for that.
        So by your definition, life in Honolulu was "third-world"-like before 1992?
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Royal Palace had a working telephone system before the Whitehouse.

In that sense, the Nation of Hawaii relegated the mainland to

third world status.

King Kam adopted technology as soon as possible.

That's how he was able to dominate in the wars between the island

rulers.

Many times I have gazed from a bridge at the Hydroelectric plant in Hilo

That was one the earliest installations of it's kind

In many ways, Hawaii is a world of its own.

Not perfect, granted, but better than some of the alternatives.
          Last edited by lensperson; May 18, 2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

All we need now is for Bloomingdales to move into Ala Moana.....
            Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
            ~ ~
            Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
            Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
            Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
              All we need now is for Bloomingdales to move into Ala Moana.....
              Who'd have thought that? About gone are the days of doing ohana Christmas shopping at Ala Moana.
              Tools for Dad from Sears. Muumuu for Mom from Liberty House. Stocking stuffers for the kids from Woolworths. sigh.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Who knows what EVIL lurks in the hearts of MEN (and WOMEN...);

The SHADOW KNOWS! (but I don't).

The only EVIL I know is people who kill for no reason, and those people who wish to disarm the defenders.

Oh, and Obama, under inditement for three infractions of Federal law.

1. Leaking information to news sources,

2. [deleted due to Federal security standards]

3. [deleted due to Federal security standards]

What else is there to say?
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

There is another cool hydro plant aways up on the Amauulu rd.

The seasonal rainfall makes output less reliable but nonetheless the capacity is there if need be.

I can recall vividly hiking up Amauulu trail with a camera bag stuffed with Nikkors and masses of Kodachrome.

After a point I came to a cane truck road in the red soil.

I walked along to the left and eventually ended up at Boiling Pots

on the upper Wailuku.

After all that walk it felt nice to take off my shoes and dip my toes in the

cool running waters of the irrigation canal.

Just downstream Hina once lived in a cavern hidden by the waterfall.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
                    So by your definition, life in Honolulu was "third-world"-like before 1992?
                    Wasn't TOWER there before '92? Regardless, Hawaii does 3rd world well, but business wise it's poor. The way we've been so slow to adapt to basic technology, like up to date internet speed, leaves us gagging in '13. Some 3rd worlders probably have had large book stores and fast net for years, maybe we're 4th world?
                    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Re: Barnes & Noble doomed?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      Some 3rd worlders probably have had large book stores and fast net for years, maybe we're 4th world?
                      Unlikely. As you know, there's no such thing. First World nations, in their orignal use, were the United States and its allies. Second World nations were the Soviet Union and its allies. Third World nations were the sorta unallied nations, I suppose the ones so poor in resources that they had little to offer either Superpower. The usage of First and Second World has fallen by the wayside, while "Third World" has come simply to mean impoverished or undeveloped, a remnant of the Cold War that's kind of sad to ponder.

So yeah. You could call it Fourth World, but you'd be coining a phrase, I guess.
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                      X