Singer crashes Obama summit with 'Occupy' song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Singer crashes Obama summit with 'Occupy' song

The whole point was to just DO IT. Simply making a stand, however quiet it may be, is the whole point. He didn't stridently yell or turn up his volume. He just stood there, all by himself and sang his song. That takes courage and whether anyone paid attention or not, the story is all over the world now. Sometimes, THAT is the point! and for all those offering negative opinions - I wonder if they would have had the cojones to simply stand there and do the same thing? Would you?
    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      Also, in today's Star-Advertiser, Makana told the author that "he realized that the dinner's attendees weren't paying much [any] attention to the lyrics. "They don't really know what happened, and that's the beauty of it," he said."
      Really? It's beautiful that nobody there knew it happened? So the point of doing it was... what?
      It's called subliminal programming. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't; it depends on the distractedness of the recipients. The less they pay attention, the better it works (from experience...).

K?
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
        The whole point was to just DO IT. Simply making a stand, however quiet it may be, is the whole point. He didn't stridently yell or turn up his volume. He just stood there, all by himself and sang his song. That takes courage and whether anyone paid attention or not, the story is all over the world now. Sometimes, THAT is the point! and for all those offering negative opinions - I wonder if they would have had the cojones to simply stand there and do the same thing? Would you?
        For the record, my post was not intended to be taken as a "negative opinion" about Makana. It was just a commentary about how Makana's actions at the APEC leaders gathering, an interesting story in and of itself, has been exaggerated by the press.

1) The article on Yahoo.com that MM linked to contained the headline, "Singer crashes Obama summit with 'Occupy' song." While it is true that Makana's protest song strayed from the assignment he was given to provide background music, the fact remains that he didn't crash the gathering.

2) The Media Research Center has tagged CNN's reporting of the incident on its BiasAlert listing.

CNN Hypes Musician Playing 'Occupy' Song at Obama Dinner
        By: Matt Hadro
        Monday, November 14, 2011 6:06 PM EST

Multiple times on Tuesday, CNN touted a musician who quietly played a song about Occupy Wall Street at an APEC dinner attended by President Obama and other world leaders.
        American Morning co-host Alina Cho called the artist a "very brave musician" and CNN's Brianna Keilar reported that Obama was "unwittingly serenaded" by the man.
        American Morning co-hosts Christine Romans and Alina Cho admitted that Makana's message probably didn't resonate with the President. "I doubt they knew. I doubt they were listening, quite frankly," Cho said of the President and the First Lady.
        Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 14, 2011, 05:37 PM.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

sorry FM - my post was not directed at you. I was responding to Lika Nui. and I probably should (once again) have just kept my mouth shut.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

sorry FM - my post was not directed at you. I was responding to Lika Nui. and I probably should (once again) have just kept my mouth shut.
            Responding to me about what? I'm a big fan of Makana and think he's one of the best guitar players in the state! And note what I wrote in previous posts in this thread:

It was a nice try, if not well thought out. (...) Still, nice try!
            He's getting slammed by a lot of locals, sadly.
            So please don't blame me for just reporting that there are negative comments out there and giving the source, as have several other people in this thread. And I didn't start this thread, either. I just find the whole thing interesting, similar to what happened when the big-name musicians raised hell over the Grammy Awards and wanted to boycott CBS just because they aired the program. Both situations are... interesting.
            Several posters here actually have been against what happened, Anapuni. Are you going to address those?
            But what I'm really looking forward to is the answer from LeoLakio about that Seattle post of Makana supposedly dining with the President last Saturday night.
            Last edited by LikaNui; November 14, 2011, 06:37 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Also, in today's Star-Advertiser, Makana told the author that "he realized that the dinner's attendees weren't paying much [any] attention to the lyrics. "They don't really know what happened, and that's the beauty of it," he said."
              Really? It's beautiful that nobody there knew it happened? So the point of doing it was... what?
              !
              Really? do I need to ask you to read your own words? that is what my response was about.
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Really? do I need to ask you to read your own words? that is what my response was about.
                They weren't my words, they were what was written in the Star-Advertiser. Got a problem with that, talk to the author, Mary Vorsino.
                Then I simply asked readers here what they thought he meant by what he said.
                So are you going to attack other posters in this thread who actually said negative things or not? I see you didn't answer that.
                Interesting.
                More interesting if people just discuss the topic of the thread and don't get attacked for their opinions.

Comment

Lika Nui - I'm sorry you felt you were being attacked. It wasn't personal to you, but you did quote the story so in a way, it was your own words. I'm not going to argue semantics with you. What you took as an attack was just me stating my opinion. I guess as an activist, I look at things a bit differently. I don't "attack" people - I've had it done to me and its not a good feeling. I will confront those that I disagree with. We all do that and I think we all try to also show respect for the other members here. I tend to speak very directly - and will always be willing to say the same things to a persons face (in real life).
                  Last edited by anapuni808; November 14, 2011, 07:21 PM.
                  – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Lika Nui - I'm sorry you felt you were being attacked.
                    Apology accepted.

It wasn't personal to you, but you did quote the story so in a way, it was your own words.
                    That's one of the funniest comments I've seen on HT in ages! Thanks for writing that!

I'm not going to argue semantics with you. What you took as an attack was just me stating my opinion.
                    Okay. No problem. Peace.

I tend to speak very directly - and will always be willing to say the same things to a persons face (in real life).
                    Me too. We're very much alike in that regard. I just find that a couple of people here like to attack me for being direct. Doesn't make me lose any sleep, and you too, I imagine. [high five]

Now, about his dinner next to the President...
                    Last edited by LikaNui; November 14, 2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

If you read it again - I didn't actually apologize. I don't think we are anything alike and actually, when I was attacked - I did lose some sleep over it. water under the bridge by now though (in case anyone cares ). Gotta love karma.

you don't really need to reply here - I've said all I had to say about the subject of Makana except that I respect his action.
                      Last edited by anapuni808; November 14, 2011, 08:29 PM.
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

whether anyone paid attention or not, the story is all over the world now. Sometimes, THAT is the point! and for all those offering negative opinions - I wonder if they would have had the cojones to simply stand there and do the same thing? Would you?
                        It is not often that we agree, Anapuni, so I will go on the record. I think Makana made more of a statement than a protest march a mile away ever could have! Our tone-deaf politicians need to realize all is not well in the homeland. Clinton, Dubya Bush, and Obama all talked a good game, but in the end, they have all stood first and foremost for the gobalization and homogenization of America. Obama and King Neil's decision to avoid leis and the wearing of Aloha shirts designed especially for APEC leaders was the ultimate insult to Hawai'i, its people and the Aloha spirit. Hats off to our leaders for turning Honolulu into a police state. Mahalo, Makana. You represented the 99%!

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

I meant to add that since LeoLakio is in that other group and also is from Seattle, he perhaps knows who Iakonu is. Leo, how about you post a message in that other group and ask Iakonu to identify their source for that rumor, please.
                          Skylark Rossetti.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                            Obama and King Neil's decision to avoid leis and the wearing of Aloha shirts designed especially for APEC leaders was the ultimate insult to Hawai'i, its people and the Aloha spirit.
                            Depends on how you want to look at it. The tradition was that they wear the attire of the host nation. It was also reported that the tradition was broken on the last meeting. Obama decided to continue the new non-tradition.

Comment

But wouldn't the true traditional clothing be the malo, pa`u, and kihei?

http://www.hawaiihistory.org/index.c...CategoryID=302
                              "The basic garments were a malo, or loincloth, for men, a pa`u, or skirt, for women and a rectangular shawl or kihei for both. All were made of kapa, a barkcloth made from wauke, mamaki, oloa, `akala, or hau plant fibers."
                              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I don't think we are anything alike
                                Oh, the only way I was saying we're alike was in terms of "speaking very directly." That's all. I thought I made that clear in my reply. Sorry if I didn't.

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                Obama and King Neil's decision to avoid leis and the wearing of Aloha shirts designed especially for APEC leaders was the ultimate insult to Hawai'i, its people and the Aloha spirit.
                                "Ultimate insult" is carrying it too far. I too would've enjoyed seeing them in Aloha shirts. But did you see the story about this on the front page of today's Star-Advertiser? We all know that many conventions and meetings do NOT come here because people think we're just a vacation island, and that actually costs a state the loss of a lot of money. According to today's paper, the decision to wear suits was made to send a message out to the world that serious business can be done in Hawaii. Hopefully that decision will bring a lot more business here, which clearly would make it not an ultimate insult. Ya think?

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Skylark Rossetti.
                                Thanks. Someone else will be following up on that.

Did you folks see the new thread about Obama praising John Cruz? No comments on that thread?

Comment

Working...
                                X