X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: bites the dust: Big part of semi-old Waikiki

Originally posted by kimo55
    was where, exactly?

oooOOOOOooo! You would make me ask my mother!

I just had a really cool phone conversation with her, actually. Ma worked at Ferdinands after the birth of my youngest sister (1969-1977). She worked as a waitress at Ferdinands and bartended at Lamariana, off of Sand Island somewhere, during the same era.

Ferdinands used to be on Kuhio Avenue, and on the same block of International Market Place, but on the back side of that block.

According to Ma, they had a Polynesian revue dinner show on the weekends, and she had to wear a tan uniform, which comprised of a dress, apron and nylons (this last point made me cringe).

My grandparents raised us in Hilo while Ma lived in Honolulu, working those jobs that employed her for her fantastic Hawaiian smile and humble nature and provided wages that matched her low education. We didn't see her much, but that was life back then in the 60's and 70's, when one's mother was singing for the Yankee dollar...

pax

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
      There was Royal Theater where the Banyan Tree restaurant is now. That's where I went to see Merry Poppins when it first came out in the theaters!
      what is the banyan tree restaurant?

Comment

The Banyan Tree restaurant was right across the street...oh that corner was kiddy corner from the Crazy shirts location.

Ferdinands overlooked the miniature golf course. The miniature golf course was torn down and the International Marketplace was extended to Kuhio Avenue on that sacred land (I cried when it was demolished as a kid). To go play a few rounds of putting then have a nice tall Coke Float was the perfect combination.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I remember going there.
          we have home movie footage of that minigolf place!

but banyan tree IS,,, or WAS? if was, what's there now?
          The minigolf was called kiddy corner?
          Oh, you mean "kitty-corner"!
          Last edited by kimo55; January 19, 2006, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X