What does "hapa" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hapa haole pride takes hold on Mainland

On the mainland mixed race people are the norm, whether they know/recognize/acknowledge it or not.
    I prefer to call myself a "mutt".

Comment

Reading that article was just weird, since the word hapa was used about ten times to simply mean "of mixed ethnicity," and not one who is part Hawaiian and part Caucasian, which has been its traditional use here. Granted, the definition that hapa takes on in the article is not necessarily incorrect, since it can mean someone of mixed blood, and not just apply to part Caucasian Hawaiians, but it is really awkward to hear the word used alone to mean mixed blood. If someone were part Chinese and part white, the person could say he or she was hapa Pākē, hapa haole, but not just "hapa" standing without a modifier. Some might argue that since the word "hapa" is from the English word "half," it originated outside of the Hawaiian language and, therefore, should not be limited to its primary use among Hawaiian speakers; however, the word hapa developed extended meanings beyond simply "half" within the context of the Hawaiian language, and one of these meanings happened to be mixed race, and when said alone as "hapa" it came to mean part Caucasian Hawaiians.

Not that I'm condemning the use of the word hapa to apply to all people of mixed ethnicity, but as more and more people with no connection to Hawai'i are introduced to the word hapa according to its fashionable meaning in articles like the one provided above, that's the definition they're going to learn first. And, just as other words which have been taken out of the context of the Hawaiian language have developed folk etymologies, like has been done with the word "haole," the same will inevitably happen with the word "hapa," if it hasn't happened already.
      I ka wā i laulaha ai ka ‘apa‘apa, he hana ho‘āuhuli ka ‘ōlelo ‘ana me ka ‘oia‘i‘o.

Comment

"Pride" in something that takes no effort on your part? This discussion is both meaningless and divisive. Why should anyone feel pride or shame for being the way they were born?

I just enjoyed a HAPA concert. Is Barry Flannagan's expertise at slack-key guitar any less because he's Irish? I don't think Nathan feels that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina
          "Pride" in something that takes no effort on your part? This discussion is both meaningless and divisive. Why should anyone feel pride or shame for being the way they were born?
          A fair point, and one MadAzza, among others, made recently in another thread. Sure, feeling "pride" for something that you had nothing to do with -- the ethnic background of your parents -- sounds ridiculous. But even if it makes no logical sense, I can't flatly state that such pride is wholly without merit. Who am I to discount someone else's feelings, for one?

I don't immediately see someone who is proud of being, say, half Chinese, half haole as being ridiculous. In a sense, I think someone who says they are "proud to be {x}" is really saying, "proud to be {x} in this time and place." That is, "proud to be {x} when others may think being {x} is something to be ashamed of." This same type of minority expression is expected and even natural in a variety of contexts, not just race.

Given the pressure to assimilate, given that not too long ago being only "one percent" non-white meant you weren't "one of them," I can't entirely begrudge someone who says, "I'm {x} and {y} and am comfortable with both." Am I ridiculous for feeling some pride that my kids comfortably navigate both Catholic and Zen Buddhist rites? Maybe.

Having been born and raised in Hawaii, it was actually hard for me to understand the kind of thinking that still exists out there. My wife frequently recounts the tale of when she had taken our daughter to visit her mom in central Florida. Our daughter and another neighborhood kid were playing happily on the slide, and that kid's mother and my mother-in-law were having a pleasant chat.

At one point, the other woman got quiet, and leaned in close to whisper in my mother-in-law's ear. "Is she..." she said, barely pointing at my daughter, "...oriental?" Forget the whole "oriental" thing (even I have to remind myself that it's not a PC term) -- the fact that she whispered it like she would've said "puppy kicker" or "terrorist" was absolutely hilarious.

I think what most folks take issue with is the expression of ethnic pride to the detriment of others. That is, not just "{x} Pride," but, "Eat My {x} Pride, Losers!" And I certainly think there's a lot of that going on. I certainly don't take the ten-inch high lettering on the overtinted back window of a chromed-out Hummer as an expression of humility, you know?

As to the main topic of "hapa"? I wholly understand and respect those who feel as 'i'iwipolena does, that "hapa" should mean half or at least part Hawaiian, not part whatever. (Online "prove you're Hawaiian!" vigilante groups, like those noted in the earlier thread, are the folks I do take issue with.) Considering all the other awful things that have happened to indigenous cultures, it's a fair point to want to preserve the language.

But since "hapa" is itself a borrowed word, and since "hapa" is understood generically to mean "half" (whether Korean/Hawaiian ancestry or water and cream in a recipe)... since the Pukui/Elbert Hawaiian dictionary definition lists this generic usage first, and the ethnic mix usage second -- even then, saying hapa Hawai`i means "half Hawaiian" -- I don't mind that "hapa" has been, in a sense, borrowed back. Half Hawaiian, hapa Hawai`i, half Japanese, hapa Kepani, it's all good.

Indeed, instead of "hapa," "hafu" could have been the word that popular American culture adopted -- "hafu" having apparently taken a similar trans-Pacific journey. But at least "hapa" has evolved to have largely positive connotations, while "hafu" has not.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            Am I ridiculous for feeling some pride that my kids comfortably navigate both Catholic and Zen Buddhist rites? Maybe.

You ABSOLUTELY should feel pride. And I would feel pride if my son, born Catholic, showed the enthusiasm, effort and respect to learn and participate in the rites for Buddhism, Islam, Judaism or Wicca. Or learned slack-key, the Hawaiian, Chinese or Russian languages, cooking lumpia or lasagna, etc.

I would feel sad and angry if anyone downplayed his efforts because he isn't a "real" Hawaiian, Russian, or Filipino. If somebody wants to get a tattoo and call himself a Hapa, who is getting hurt?

Comment

If somebody wants to get a tattoo and call himself a Hapa, who is getting hurt?
              well, think of how those feel who ARE hapa and justifiably wear tattoo of aukmakua when others who are not hapa call themselves that, and wear Hawaiian shark teeth tattoo when they have no aumakua, of course and esp, their aumakua (which they don't have, nor do they know the word) is NOT the mano. and they walk around telling everyone this is a real authentic Hawaiian tattoo. when it's just simply a cartoon of waves and some squiggles on an armband.

"who is getting hurt" conveys the same thoughtlessness when outsiders steal Maori identity when they use Maori Ta Moko. The Maori tattoo is sacred family lines; geneology, and many thoughtlessly use visual aspects of it as designs for tattoo. Maori are very offended by that and no degree of Pakeha whakatoatoa (white arrogance) would justify it. "Whites are distinctly known for not asking, for assuming how they see the world is how others do so also. Whites bastardize our spirituality and culture. This conveys great disrespect for another's culture." These are the thoughts of many Maori and other islanders. And you ask "who is getting hurt when you take other's tapu imagery...."

Comment

[QUOTE=kimo55]
                "Whites are distinctly known for not asking, for assuming how they see the world is how others do so also. Whites bastardize our spirituality and culture. This conveys great disrespect for another's culture." QUOTE]

K den,

Can we get rid of all the Japanese Elvis impersonators?

Comment

not until you quote correctly.

Comment

Can we get rid of all the Japanese Elvis impersonators?
                    only when they do the hula during their performance.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                      On the mainland mixed race people are the norm, whether they know/recognize/acknowledge it or not.
                      I prefer to call myself a "mutt".
                      What about "poi dog"? Is there a particular ethnicity that I need to have in my mixed-blood makeup before I can use that term to describe myself?
                      (At least the "dog" part can be attributed to the Chinese zodiac, in my case.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        What about "poi dog"? Is there a particular ethnicity that I need to have in my mixed-blood makeup before I can use that term to describe myself?
                        (At least the "dog" part can be attributed to the Chinese zodiac, in my case.)
                        I used to know quite a few people who's nickname was 'poi-dog'. It was a term of endearment, not a racial slur. Not sure if it went the way of 'oriental'.

Is is still used in general conversation????
                        You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          an appreciative caucasian such as myself, BY... a Hawaiian.

because if my deep appreciation and study of Polynesian culture i have been immersed in for decades, I would end up sharing alotta deep kine stuffs with the ohana.. many's the time a Samoan or Hawaiian friend would say; Kimo, you seem more Hawaiian than many islanders I know!

he would say, eh kimo, you know more about Hawaii than I do... or many people I know!"

this was why i was known to them as "hapa". and yet, I have not one drop of Hawaiian koko.
                          This is an excellent case of a moving line of qualification. I could say some of the same things (about my deep appreciation and study...and full-blooded Hawaiians have told me that I am "more Hawaiian than some of the Hawaiians they know"), but even then, I would not think to put myself anywhere near kimo55's level. We're both Caucasian, yet with strong connections to Hawaiian and other Island culture. I dare not pass myself off as being "of Hawai`i," though I doubt many would begrudge kimo55 that designation.

He is also one of the first to come forward with a passionate defense of Hawaiian ways, and to attack those who use the culture in ways that he feels are not appropriate - as I have been told on a number of occasions, no one has more zeal than the convert.

But at the same time, are there still some who would say that he cannot use "hapa" to describe himself, that being "hanai'ed" still isn't enough? They could argue that it is simply his lack of Hawaiian blood, nothing more. Can you begrudge them their attitude in this matter? It's not such a simple one to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                            He is also one of the first to come forward with a passionate defense of Hawaiian ways, and to attack those who use the culture in ways that he feels are not appropriate - as I have been told on a number of occasions, no one has more zeal than the convert.
                            Ah, but I am not a convert. and moreso, the sentiments I convey are to a large degree echo'ed elsewhere. I am not the first, nor the last. and most emphatically, i am not fighting a battle I have no place in. I have been on all sides of the exploitation of Polynesian culture. have seen every side of it. This is a fairly decent postion to be in, it helps you know well whereof you speak.
                            many authors, cultural practitioners and activists help me form the basis of these sentiments which are my own and they are confirmed and reinforced from much talk with many kupuna here, that are active in other avenues... just not as vocal in the manner I am. and of course, not seen on HT, as much as they are working "behind the lines".
                            Other kupuna and teachers have elucidated areas of cultural insentsititivity and i asked them to elaborate , and I learn what are the sore spots and also they assist me with wording, what is seen as pono, what is not, in the eyes of the well... "keepers of the culture"...
                            hey. what I'm goin do with what i learn, eh?! As a loudmouth obnoxious (yea, palolo joe, I know; understatement...) vocal dude with a video camera and a relatively captive audience, and scorpio tendencies, i gotta do what I gotta do.

still some who would say that he cannot use "hapa" to describe himself, that being "hanai'ed" still isn't enough? They could argue that it is simply his lack of Hawaiian blood, nothing more. Can you begrudge them their attitude in this matter?
                            As I say, I don't call myself hapa. ( I quote myself: "this was why i was known to them as "hapa".") or hanai'ed. extended family, general ohana and friends have used that to describe. i don't walk around with a "I am hapa" shirt on. anymore than i would walk around with "Hawaiian at heart" or Kiss me, I'm Hawaiian" shirt. (which i have seen on ebay. ugh.)

how can someone begrudge someone else's perception which is based on decades of life in these islands? I don't wear any epithet of Hapa, as some badge. I illustrated it is used here in this way. To enforce the indigenous keiki o ka aina employment of the term. But I do not call myself hapa.
                            Last edited by kimo55; July 17, 2006, 05:37 PM.

Comment

language has funny barriers. When speaking in Hawaiian of someone's ethinicities, we use the term hapa all the time, as in "'o wau 'o Kalani a he mea hapa Pukiki hapa Pilipino au" (I am Kalani and I am half Portuguese and half Filipino). Through olelo that IS how one would address the subject, and no one would blink an eye at appropriating terminology.

The idea of "being more kanaka than most kanaka I know" rankles my ire. Personally, I am of the ability to speak lovely English (mahalo to the DOE and a strict grandmother educated at Roosevelt H.S.), but never would it occur to me that my mannerisms and behavior are more English than most Englishmen Prince Charles knows.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                                The idea of "being more kanaka than most kanaka I know" rankles my ire. Personally, I am of the ability to speak lovely English (mahalo to the DOE and a strict grandmother educated at Roosevelt H.S.), but never would it occur to me that my mannerisms and behavior are more English than most Englishmen Prince Charles knows.
                                yep. but that's what i heard. It wasn't meant as a slight to any kanaka from the source. as much as "Wow. you island style. You representin'! these odda blalah's ovah heah, all mainland kine, now."
                                and that was cool.
                                at least that's what i heard. and any otherwise depreciative or sinister ulterior undercurrents were invisible to me....
                                Last edited by kimo55; July 17, 2006, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X