Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What makes you local?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
    That brings up a great new thread...do you turn your pidgin off and then on or on and then off. Off and On or On and Off.

For me it's normally On then Off.

I think that would help define what makes you local.
    The AF from K (do I even need to define her any more than that?) only turns pidgin on when she's "interacting" with other locals - I hear it when she talks with her folks on the phone! The rest of the time, mostly off.

For me - never installed, so never could be "on" (unless it's an intentionally humorous "haole pidgin." Spoken very crisply: "What --- bother you?")

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      Spoken very crisply: "What --- bother you?")
      aaaggh! finganayows on chokbwahd.

Comment

The AF from K (do I even need to define her any more than that?) only turns pidgin on when she's "interacting" with other locals - I hear it when she talks with her folks on the phone! The rest of the time, mostly off.

For me - never installed, so never could be "on" (unless it's an intentionally humorous "haole pidgin." Spoken very crisply: "What --- bother you?")

Maybe with all the changes in pidgin as each generation adopts and modifies it we should develop a version number like Pidgin v.1.0 and see how far the upgrades go.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          Exactly --- "Why, YES, as a matter of fact - I DO like beef!" *POW!*

Comment

Exactly --- "Why, YES, as a matter of fact - I DO like beef!" *POW!*

and just your luck you try pick fight with one vegetarian..."Why no I don't like beef actually"

Comment

Hey bra, don't make like that.
              Last edited by lurkah; August 8, 2006, 11:45 AM.

Comment

That brings up a great new thread...do you turn your pidgin off and then on or on and then off. Off and On or On and Off.

For me it's normally On then Off.

I think that would help define what makes you local.
                This is a good segue topic.

I interchange the two so much that I find myself at that "too late" point to switch (depending on company and situation). For example:

--helping my kids with their homework and realizing that I had been explaining through pidgin, and catch that fact after s/he mimics me. This happens far too often helping with algebra and geometry. (no foget how fo foil? First derms outah derms inna derms las-derms! Dat is in da proof column and dis is da dearem column cause you gotta prove why!) It doesn't help the kids that Ma kept all of her college text books, including the calculus ones....oh how I wait to bang out derivatives witdem!

My Ts come out somewhere between a T/D sound.

Thinking about this example I just shared, I am musing why: except for one college math professor, all of my math teachers were local Japanese, as were most of my K-12 school teachers. Articulation came at a rapid clip with them, so I never considered that their intellectual abilities were marred by their pidgin, because these were *math* teachers, and adept at what they taught.

When reading aloud through English, I still revert to some of those skills taught through HEP (anyone remember this? Affixes, IL readers-up to level 25!, SRAs, etc). Drill and kill. Phonics-based. I still break down my words according to prefix, root, suffix, tense. Sometimes this can annoy my company, because if the conversation is through pidgin (or Hawaiian) and there I go hyper-enunciating, I find myself getting teased.

...getting off track...

pax

Comment

RE: "What ..... Bother you?"

A bunch of us were listening to Artie Wilson on the Leahey and Leahey radio gig sometime last year when Jim Leahey asked Artie how he has adapted to the "local way" after more than 3-1/2 decades. Artie's been here since 1970 as a UH basketball player, local businessman, and married a local girl. He replied that he's picked up the local language and offered: "WHAT .... BOTHER YOU?"

In unison, we screamed: "NO, NO, NO, ARTIE! ASS TOO HAOLE! IT'S WAT .... BODDAH YOU?"

Comment

Rap was da best!!! Too bad he stumbled across the pakalolo field in St. Louis park. yeah das the rumor about his death. Nobody falls down on a well-travelled hiking trail in the middle of Honolulu and dies.
                    I didn't hear that rumor ... but I was in the K59 newsroom when I heard the call on the scanner when Rap's body was discovered -- just off Aloha Oe Drive in Maunawili. Of course they didn't identify him on the scanner, but it did turn out to be him.

IIRC his death was later ruled a suicide -- and yes, drugs were found in his system. Maybe an overdose, too? Most of us were only exposed to the brilliant and funny part of him -- and we should remember him that way.
                    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Rap, Billy Kaui, Robert Beaumont...

what a waste of talent.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                        Rap, Billy Kaui, Robert Beaumont...

what a waste of talent.
                        Mackie Feary...

Comment

I'm also Filipino, born and raised here, never lived out of state. Been to the mainland on business and vacation on a few occasions. BUT...I don't really consider myself "local." Somehow along the way, I've become to feel too Filipino to be local. I dunno...seems like "local" is a completely different culture from the one I'm associated with.
                          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Mackie Feary...
                            co-sign. he died too young.
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

he died cuz he co signed for something?!

Comment

he died cuz he co signed for something?!

I would too with today's mortgages.

But good old Mackey Feary, seemed he couldn't write a song without being stoned, like Lost Again. That one had a feel good beat to it. So what Kimo did you listen to the CD I sent you with the Kalapana interview with Mackey and RJ?

Comment

Working...
                                X