The visit to Hawaii was all I could have hoped for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The visit to Hawaii was all I could have hoped for

I think kava is the Tongan name for it. It's called ‘awa in Hawaiian, but it's the same plant.

Comment

Back from our trip 3 days and.....

I put the house up for sale!! Ha Ha Ha!! A long time friend came over last night and we did the paperwork(to my wifes dismay)I love shocking that poor woman,I don't do it on purpose but she is the slow planning(agonizing)type and I'm the "If it feels right do it now" type.She got sick from worry even though she has been the one pestering me about how if we are going to move/sell we should do it fast while the market is good and I have been telling her first things first (like me going to see Hawaii and such).
      After spending a week with real people instead of the plastic orange county stepford type I'm going nuts.The plane ride was torture.When my baby cried people would turn and look but not make eye contact but just kinda make there feelings known.Nobody hardly talks to one another.Back home I took a walk and realized how I miss the spirit of the land,everythings cemented and even where it's not there are no native plants just decorative sprinkler fead things that are not from here.
      We are so outa here!

Comment

Re: Back from our trip 3 days and.....

Originally posted by Fondoo
        I put the house up for sale!! Ha Ha Ha!! A long time friend came over last night and we did the paperwork(to my wifes dismay)I love shocking that poor woman,I don't do it on purpose but she is the slow planning(agonizing)type and I'm the "If it feels right do it now" type.She got sick from worry even though she has been the one pestering me about how if we are going to move/sell we should do it fast while the market is good and I have been telling her first things first (like me going to see Hawaii and such).
        After spending a week with real people instead of the plastic orange county stepford type I'm going nuts.The plane ride was torture.When my baby cried people would turn and look but not make eye contact but just kinda make there feelings known.Nobody hardly talks to one another.Back home I took a walk and realized how I miss the spirit of the land,everythings cemented and even where it's not there are no native plants just decorative sprinkler fead things that are not from here.
        We are so outa here!
        Aloha Fondoo,

Brah you get da South Coast Plaza, Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, and IKEA, along with decent schools and relatively cheap gas in Orange County. I live about 6 miles from Kapoho in a subdivision near Pāhoa and during the past few years, quite a few folks from the continental U.S. have moved here. Unfortunately, some of the malihini seem to think that razing acres of native 'ohia forest and replacing it with palm trees and Bermuda grass (along with putting up gates, walls and fences) is an improvement over the natural environment.

Cheers,

Jonah K
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

If buying alot of retail merchandice,sending my children to public school,and driving around in a car alot was my bag sure orange county could serve my family.
          Since I'm looking for a wholsome place to raise my little girl hopefully on a 3-5 acre piece of land thats not dosed but hand cleared or an existing farm lot with the idea of a fence would be to keep my animals in and not people out maybe you could see where I'm comming from Jonah.
          I am not a big development company pushing the state to allow prestine forest to be subdevided but a simple honest man that needs a healthy place to raise his children

Comment

hey fondoo, if general impressions are correct, it'd be cool if you and jason scott lee could connect and talk story, not only because i think the two of you woud get along but because he could offer you some tips on how he's working his land (or offer suggestions and let you decide what you wanna do).

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ht=jason+scott

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/07/features/story1.html

and a link to the book that scott refers to (The One-Straw Revolution):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

good luck man!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
              If buying alot of retail merchandice,sending my children to public school,and driving around in a car alot was my bag sure orange county could serve my family.
              Since I'm looking for a wholsome place to raise my little girl hopefully on a 3-5 acre piece of land thats not dosed but hand cleared or an existing farm lot with the idea of a fence would be to keep my animals in and not people out maybe you could see where I'm comming from Jonah.
              I am not a big development company pushing the state to allow prestine forest to be subdevided but a simple honest man that needs a healthy place to raise his children
              Aloha Fondoo,

If I were married and had children, I'd probably be living in Irvine and visiting Pāhoa instead of living here, because my wife would probably hate living in the "boonies." The Puna district isn't exactly a "wholesome" place, but as long as you and your family can be happy here that's probably all that really matters. Are you planning on actually farming/ranching or do you just want a big house on 3-5 acres near the ocean?

Cheers,

Jonah K
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Hey very nice!Thanks Shaveice I'm going to grab that book and Jason's story has heart.
                Lol Jonah I still feel like you are trying to put me in a rich city slicker box.I have not felt at home in the city for years and charish the summers
                i spent in Indiana (1200 population town).My wife lived in Paradise Park 15yrs ago but could not find work and had to leave.I have no attraction to fancy cars/clothes/restaurants/shopping malls I despise crowds (unless it's family and friends)I have been self employed in a humble small business of my own for 20 yrs and do not dream of a high paying job/title.
                We do want to work the land in some form but I have so little knowledge about it that no plans can be made untill I have rented long enough to get to know the work involved and the options available.
                As far as wholesome goes I am aware of the different types that make up small town life and feel we all attract the type of people we hang with (birds of a feather theory) but small town life you can have more real friends and nieghbors that have time for one another IMHO
                thank you for the word ups Jonah,you are the reason I hang here because I like all opinions not just a Rah Rah! cheering squad

Comment

Working...
                X