Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else find "Chinaman's Hat" offensive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone else find "Chinaman's Hat" offensive?

Originally posted by lurkah
    I'm beginning to see why all those mainland haoles wanted to kick your butt back then. You probably asked for it.

Moving on...

hmmmmmmm, here's one for category "a."

Comment

"why not discuss instead of suppress?"

Looked to me like you got some discussin from a few people,but you disregard it because it does not satisfy some need you have.
      I noticed you being warned by an admin the other day and yet if anything you have stepped up your wakky ways.Do you have a need to be banned?I have seen this behavoir in school where there was a kid that got picked on alot but even when we would try our best to let him be a part of the group he would act out so bad until he would be shunned again,like he "needed" to be shuned

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
        "why not discuss instead of suppress?"

Looked to me like you got some discussin from a few people,but you disregard it because it does not satisfy some need you have.
        I noticed you being warned by an admin the other day and yet if anything you have stepped up your wakky ways.Do you have a need to be banned?I have seen this behavoir in school where there was a kid that got picked on alot but even when we would try our best to let him be a part of the group he would act out so bad until he would be shunned again,like he "needed" to be shuned

scroll back on this particular thread. i wanted discussion and received a few positive posts about the hawaiian name and then i t was all downhill from there. try read.

Comment

Originally posted by kahalabrah
          Why continue an archaically racist term for a beautiful landmark?
          Well I can agree the term is out of date since no one is wearing those kind of hat anymore, then again other than baseball caps, hats in general is kind of out of style.

it is highly offensive to those of chinese heritage.
          I take it the hat itself has a certain name to it, I don't know what it is, but I won't be surprised if there is one.

can you all agree with me on this one issue? pretty please?
          Partly, but then again I suspect the island's Hawaiian name would be more in use due to using Hawaiian place names as the way to go.

Comment

scroll back on this particular thread. i wanted discussion and received a few positive posts about the hawaiian name and then i t was all downhill from there. try read.
            So whats wrong with a few positive posts? what do you expect? it's not an issue for folks otherwise there would be more discussion.The downhill part is because THIS IS ALL YOU WANT TO DISCUSS!! It's a downer,there is a whole wide world out there that can spark our imagination and our thoughts in a possitive way lets see you post some other thoughts awhile then after showing some balance others may be more inclined to helping you with your mental trouble

Comment

this forum is either:
              a) full of racist haoles, or
              b) people in utter denial of racism, or
              c) combination of a+b
              why not discuss instead of suppress?
              Because we've tried discussions. Because we've been through this with you several times already. See "Exhibit A." Look at this thread... you're asking, "Anyone else find 'Chinaman's Hat' offensive?" You can't possibly be truly inviting 'discussion' if you're not allowing for people to simply answer your original question with "No."

The fact is, sensitivities are different here in Hawaii. Not in denial, not ignorant, just different. Hell, most folks in Hawaii don't bristle the way Mainland people do at the word "oriental." I prefer the Hawaiian name, sure, but know that people know it as "Chinaman's Hat," and would use that to discuss it as a landmark. And I sure don't see it as racist.

Hell, while I can see where the folks who were in an uproar about Jap Road, I thought a fair case could have been made for leaving it as is. And I'm Japanese (and have been called a "jap" to my face). It's not just the word. It's how it's used.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                Tourettes is a good analogy. Professional victim might be another.

Give it a rest, willya, kahalabrah?
                Aloha Kākou,

Larry Elder coined the term "victicrat" to describe a "professional victim." Here's the complete definition:
                Victicrat (vik'ti krat) n. (victim + -crat) 1) a supporter of the mentality believing in perpetual victimhood, who blames his or her plight on other person(s), event(s), or circumstance(s); one who refuses to accept personal responsibility for one's own actions.

The forum listed below might be a better place for kahalabrah to find like-minded individuals more inclined to agree and sympathize with his particular point of view....
                http://www.asiansinc.com/forums/

Cheers,

Jonah K
                Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

bra of kahala, you are trying yer best to cause dissent and you seem to be a one person racial divide machine, trying yer best at setting back the clock of all strides america has made toward seeing all races getting along.
                  you are a verminous cock roach. puuuLLLLEEEZE get stepped on....

whew.
                  I know, I know...
                  I should ignore but DAYum... gotta help prevent this disease from spreading...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    Because we've tried discussions. Because we've been through this with you several times already. See "Exhibit A." Look at this thread... you're asking, "Anyone else find 'Chinaman's Hat' offensive?" You can't possibly be truly inviting 'discussion' if you're not allowing for people to simply answer your original question with "No."

The fact is, sensitivities are different here in Hawaii. Not in denial, not ignorant, just different. Hell, most folks in Hawaii don't bristle the way Mainland people do at the word "oriental." I prefer the Hawaiian name, sure, but know that people know it as "Chinaman's Hat," and would use that to discuss it as a landmark. And I sure don't see it as racist.

Hell, while I can see where the folks who were in an uproar about Jap Road, I thought a fair case could have been made for leaving it as is. And I'm Japanese (and have been called a "jap" to my face). It's not just the word. It's how it's used.

you said: "The fact is, sensitivities are different here in Hawaii. Not in denial, not ignorant, just different."

that's fine. so why not discuss like we're doing instead of accuse ME of being racist like many other posters?

obviously, like you pointed out, mainland asians are more sensitive (do you blame us?) than hawaii asians. let's discuss why.

Comment

such a derogatory name such as "Chinaman's Hat?" Just a thought.
                      This thread, and that thought, should've died in its infancy. By now you've seen that no, nobody finds the name offensive.
                      Kahalabrah, the rest of us here obviously feel that you have some very deep and disturbing issues. I don't recall a single member who has supported your endless racist whinings. I'd respectfully -- seriously -- like to suggest that you seek some professional counseling before you snap and "go postal". Please. For your own good and for that of the citizens of O`ahu.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Dual-fisted, Fully-Erect, Central Fingers to All

as my last post, i bid goodbye to the few who welcomed my opinions based on my life's experience on the mainland. there are many asians like myself. see www.angryasianman.com for commentary.

to the rest who, like most racist mainland whites, try to suppress the asian man, i give you a hearty FAAK YOU.

(poof! disappears forever)

Comment

obviously, like you pointed out, mainland asians are more sensitive (do you blame us?) than hawaii asians. let's discuss why.
                          Because we did. This thread is supposedly about Chinaman's Hat, and whether the name is offensive. You got your answer.

As to the broader conversation, it's been part of your agenda since you've arrived here, and since you're clearly unwilling to acknowledge the possibility that your perceptions are incorrect, or that different perceptionsare valid, it doesn't look like anyone wants to continue it. At least with you.

I agree much of this thread has been directed at you rather than the topic, but seriously, I think a good case can be made that it is your perceptions, and not the issues you say you're trying to raise, that are clearly the problem here.

But yeah, unless anyone has any further thoughts on the offensiveness of the name "Chinaman's Hat," I'd say we're done here.
                          (poof! disappears forever)
                          If only...

Comment

Kahalabrah Is Gone!

as my last post... poof! disappears forever
                            Looks like we are done here.

Comment

Working...
                            X