X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: when we are lucky enough to help people

Originally posted by Pomai
    Aunty,

Are you recording each individual child's feet size? That sound's tedious. My impression was that it was going to be a bulk order of general children's sizes.

But hey, If going be individualized, mo' bettah! 'Dat way each slippah going fit jus' right!

Right on Aunty!
    I think originally MWH staff had taken on that task. But it looks as tho' Auntie is now bearing the brunt of the work. But, as she said, "If you want something done, do it yourself!". Still, Auntie, that's a lotta work.

Comment

A fellow resident, a spunk of a lady, "Beverly" started to help me last night! More names and sizes came to my Hale this morning too!

Ahhh...everything is coming together.

It takes time.

Almost.

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Mahalo, everyone, for the wonderful comments.

And you, Aunty, your blessings are going to come back tenfold.

As for me, I enjoy learning when people's lives are touched. But I find inspiration when I learn of people touching other lives.

...now if I could just hook up with some mad cash (oh, such a minor detail), I would serve my "true callling" to be a phila-, a phirlinthr.. a pheleopithis-....a donah-lede!

pax

Comment

Great story. It made my day better.

Now it makes me want to volunteer my time again.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
            [...]...now if I could just hook up with some mad cash (oh, such a minor detail), I would serve my "true callling" to be a phila-, a phirlinthr.. a pheleopithis-....a donah-lede!
            I dunno...I could be wrong...but I think what you did, Pua`i, might be more rewarding for both the giver and the receiver. So many of those phil, phirli, whatevers kine people donate based on tax advantages and the advice of high paid accountants...not to mention publicity, depending on their agendas. Then said phil/phirl/whatevers get lotsa pats on the back. But do they see the tears of thankfulness in the eyes of a hungry person like you and your daughter did? Some do, I'm sure. But, for the most part, being a phila(word) can be fairly hands-off. My experience the other night taught me that I will keep a few McDonalds gift cards in the car year 'round. That way I can give a meal from my car any time the opportunity arises. And, the reason I choose McD's is because of the opportunity to donate to the Ronald McDonald charities at the drive up window. You really can be a phirlipheliothropist without having a lot of mad cash! It's what's in your heart that counts.

Comment

[QUOTE=

Walking out the door with three large pizzas, we then drove home. A few blocks over at a red light, I saw an older homeless woman sitting on the curb, asking a passerby for some money. I didn't even think about it; I grabbed that extra pizza (box is hot! The food is fresh!) and ran it to her, wished her a Merry Christmas, got back in my car, and as I drove through the light, my daughter noticed that the old lady was crying.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah because she doesn't like anchovies

Okay that was a great example of fate. It was meant to happen.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Yeah because she doesn't like anchovies
                Or Domino's owner's politics. When I started reading this thread, my first thought was about that fact, and their mediocre-quality pizza, as the reasons I don't patronize Domino's.

But were I in the dire circumstances of that woman, and someone gave me a free meal, I wouldn't give a rosy rat's rump about corporate politics. ("Oh, yes, I'm broke and starving --- but tell me, are you driving an environmentally-responsible vehicle? Because if you aren't, my conscience demands that I reject your kind offer of food.")

The bottom line here is that you did a wonderful deed, and I suspect it's not the first time. The rest of us here should commit ourselves to making our best attempts at similar behavior, daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                  [...]("Oh, yes, I'm broke and starving --- but tell me, are you driving an environmentally-responsible vehicle? Because if you aren't, my conscience demands that I reject your kind offer of food.")[...]
                  I actually did have a somewhat similar experience many years ago in SoCal. It was the holidays. I'd joined my parents for dinner at one of our favorite restaurants and requested my usual doggie bag. Part way between the restaurant and the car I saw a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk wrapped up in a ratty blanket, reading a newspaper. I offered him my doggie bag. He asked what was in it so I told him. "Sorry", he said..."I'm a vegetarian." and went back to reading his newspaper!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                    I saw a homeless man sitting on the sidewalk wrapped up in a ratty blanket, reading a newspaper. I offered him my doggie bag. He asked what was in it so I told him. "Sorry", he said..."I'm a vegetarian." and went back to reading his newspaper!
                    Bet if you told him there was a tossed salad and half a bottle of Jack Daniels he would've snagged it in a heartbeat.

Maybe the woman cried because
                    1.) It was a Domino's Pizza, and not Boston's.
                    and
                    2.) It had anchovies in it. "I wanted Pepperoho-ho-ho-ni-i-i, not Anchoho-ho-ho-vi-ii's...WHAAHHHHH!, WHAAAAHHHH!."

In all seriousness, however the recipient perceives an offer shouldn't matter one bit. If the person giving is doing it from the heart, then mission accomplished.
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                      Bet if you told him there was a tossed salad and half a bottle of Jack Daniels he would've snagged it in a heartbeat.
                      [...]
                      In all seriousness, however the recipient perceives an offer shouldn't matter one bit. If the person giving is doing it from the heart, then mission accomplished.
                      The Jack Daniels reference is one of the main reasons (drugs being the other) that I prefer to give restaurant gift certificates or food rather than cash to the homeless.

And, you're right...as long as the giving is unconditional the mission is accomplished. What I loved about Pua`i's story was that her daughter got to experience it. And she got to see how much it touched both the giver and the receiver. That's one of life's lessons that can't be taught from books.

Comment

ah, you guys are great. To clarify, that lady got a large vegetarian pesto pizza. If you have never tried this pizza (they make a chicken variety, too), I really, really recommend it.

pax

Comment

Something we've done in the past when we went to Starbucks is to give the cashier an extra free drink coupon and tell her to use it for the person who's next in line. Hey, even yuppies need random acts of kindness too sometimes!

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X