No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    All it is is a car, a van. It can be parked anywhere. It's not a scary looking white trash trailer. You can take it with you to work.
    Just as long as parking doesn't include parking structures. Too tall.

I've never seen an RV in Hawaii (except maybe one converted into a bookmobile or something like that). I think they must be illegal.

Comment

It's all very well and nice to ask them to leave...but where are they gonna go? Out of sight, out of mind...till the next neighborhood moves them along?
      Exactly Susie! Where are they going?

The situation in Hawai'i is grim. The awful Truth...it's going to get worse before it get's better. How can the the situation be resolved when the only alternative has been "evicting" them from where they are? It's sad. The Homeless are our problem. Each and every one of us who resides here in Hawai'i nei. Whether we like it or not, we are responsible. We can't turn our backs on them. No and's, if's or but's about it. Like many times before, I've posted..."Many are just a paycheck away from being Homeless themselves!"

All it takes is a devastating illness, accident, unexpected unemployment, etc. to occur and den one can be on the streets too. There are the Silent Homeless who go about. People who work hard but are unable to afford the high cost of rents as well living in our own State. How sad.

What will it take to make our leaders in Government to sit down and finally come together to tackle this problem? Planning, walauing, research is all waha!! What they have to do utilize their minds and their resources. Combine it and once and for all build a place where our Homeless can go as a transition to live and build a better life until they can once again live on their own.

It can be done. It should be done.

It will take time. But at least it is better than what we have now.

Shelters here and there will only create more problems. As you can see from the article, people are refused because of lack of space. What is needed is a place where no one is refused. Which is why a combined facility by the State and City should be planned.

Where? We have the land. Lot's of Vacant land all ova!

There are no excuses...not when it comes for our PEOPLE!

Just my opinion.

Auntie Lynn

btw: As for your suggestion on the Mobile Van. I told you why in post #363 & #368.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        Just as long as parking doesn't include parking structures. Too tall.

I've never seen an RV in Hawaii (except maybe one converted into a bookmobile or something like that). I think they must be illegal.
        There are campers on the Big Isle...there used to be a VW Beetle with a camper on the back.
        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

There are campers on the Big Isle...there used to be a VW Beetle with a camper on the back.
          I'm not sure exactly what law would make RVs illegal. I'm guessing it has to do with sewage. If I'm right, then a camper without a toilet would be legal.

Comment

Hello!!!! I was checking KHON.com. I came upon this.
            Volunteers Help Restore Public Housing
            By Andrew Pereira
            http://www.khon2.com/news/local/8374762.html

"Dressed in white t-shirts and smiles, an army of 100 Institute for Human Services volunteers celebrated the agency’s 29th anniversary by helping to refurbish five apartment units at Kalihi Valley Homes located near the Likelike Highway in Honolulu.

“It's a great thing to do and it's also a different way to celebrate,” said IHS Executive Director Connie Mitchell.

Chad Taniguchi, the Executive Director of Hawaii Public Housing says 27 units at KVH were demolished to make way for a playground and open space, but instead of tearing down 72 more units, “the community realized that for every one that we tear down that means one less family can [move] in.”

In a span of six hours Saturday, the volunteers got a lot done - from weed whacking, to fixing screens and windows, to painting."

Hoooray!!! Why is this such a big deal? Because in the past, Hawaii Public Housing refused any assistance due to Liability and Safety Issues. Chad Taniguchi, is the New Executive Director. Now there's someone who has sense and a vision!!

There are vacant apartments at MWH in need of repair also. The two on Vineyard still remains vacant. The faster it is fixed ~ families can move in.

Just my opinion.

Auntie Lynn
            Last edited by 1stwahine; July 12, 2007, 02:08 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
            X