Bayfest @ Kaneohe Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bayfest @ Kaneohe Bay

Well, the sound of thundering fighter jets is ROCK MUSIC to MY ears.

Then after the airshow, we can meet with the fighter pilots for their Tupperware demonstration, and finish it off with a Britney Spears concert.
    Last edited by Pomai; June 16, 2006, 12:05 PM. Reason: Tupperware Pilots
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
      Peeps go to the Bayfest. If you're worried about parking and traffic... there's lotsa parking and the Marines got their act together with the traffic...it's unbelievably smooth sailing considering thousands of cars need to funnel past the gate.
      We've been to a few Bayfests, and definitely agree, the Marines have the logistics of event management down pat. Of course they would! Usually we shun large events because of parking and crowd hassles, but Bayfest is well managed, so all you need to do is enjoy yourself (and remember to reapply sunscreen).

The musical acts are the big draw for a lot of folks, I know, but our kids are in it for the rides and "static" exhibits. In short, there's something there for everyone.

Comment

we went there last year and it was alotta quick driving through the base to an easy parking space within a few yards of where we funnel in through the home show stuff, then past tanks and helicopters and then the oasis; da beer tent and stage.
        This was after things were in full swing. They run a smooth ship there.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          I can't see myself going to a monster truck rally and bitching; "I didn't see the tuppeware demonstration. that is SOO lame!"
          Wat? You didn't set foot in the Exhibition Hall? Oh, man - you missed the BIG show, then - the new collapsibles, the silent-burpers, the...

Oh. Was joke. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            Wat? You didn't set foot in the Exhibition Hall? Oh, man - you missed the BIG show, then - the new collapsibles, the silent-burpers, the...
            awrite! let's begin!

Comment

You gotta' admit, two F-18's doing a knife-edge pass within feet of each other while Molly Hatchet rips out "Flirtin' With Disaster" would be quite COOL. Nothin' like high speed, fueled by adrenaline-pumping rock music!

But o.k., I'll settle for a drunken rock 'fest if that's what it is.
              Last edited by Pomai; June 16, 2006, 01:42 PM. Reason: Top Gun
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If you're a Pizza fan, you should be there today or tomorrow @ 3pm and compete in the Papa John's Pizza Eating Contest. First person to polish off a large pie wins Papa John's Pizza for a year.

Due to schedule conflicts (work), we can't make Tuesday night's .38 Special concert. So Kimo (or anyone else), please take video (if can) and post it on YouTube.com! Preferably of ROCKIN' INTO THE NIGHT.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  .38 Special concert. So Kimo (or anyone else), please take video (if can) and post it on YouTube.com! Preferably of ROCKIN' INTO THE NIGHT.
                  I wouldn't know that song if it hit me in the head.

Comment

If you're good at making PAPER AIRPLANES and. . .
                    want to win a brand-new Ford F150 Racer Truck,

You better be there at the 2006 Bayfest!!!

This year Mike McKenna Windward Motors is holding its annual PAPER AIRPLANE contest, all you need to do is enter your name into the drawing and if your name is picked you get a chance at winning the 2006 Ford F150!!

* Make your plane, toss it, and if it lands in the target which is centered in the Bed of the Truck you get to drive it home!!!!

Hope to see you all there!!!

Aloha,

Tristin-Mataiva
                    Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
                    I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
                    email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

We went to Bayfest last year when Lynyrd Skynyrd (sp?) played. They were great and so were the fireworks...but the traffic to get OUT of the base was absolutely the worst. We kept wondering why, with all the experience the Marines have in doing these annual festivals, don't they have the traffic under control. We literally didn't move for an hour.....and it didn't seem like anyone was directing the traffic until well after they realized that noone was moving. We had a similar experience at the Blue Angels show. Don't know if we'll bother to venture out this year.

Comment

We went last night for Chris Cagle (even though I admit I never heard of the guy until last night) and I was surprised that it wasn't as packed as it was last year. Maybe it's because BayFest is 5 days this year and people want to pace themselves?

We drove in pretty late, probably around 7 and our parking spot wasn't too far from the entrance! Getting out was no problem, either.

We'll probably go for Staind tonight and then .38 Special on Tuesday!!!
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Interesting, Alohacandy, that parking and traffic control was such a huge downside for you. It's good to hear another perspective.

I said earlier that I thought the Marines' traffic control at their Kaneohe Bay events are the second best part of going, apart from the events itself. Thinking back, tough, we tend to leave on a whim, like after a few hours of wandering, rather when everyone is leaving... after a big show ends or something. So for us, getting in is a dream, and the hardest part of getting out is finding our car!

We did wait a bit after a recent airshow... and impatient people pulling all sorts of stunts to sneak around here and there didn't help any. But compared to the unmitigated disaster a couple of events at Ala Moana turned out to be (the one hour wait was nothing... the foul-mouthed rent-a-cops and road rage were the worst part), I considered it totally reasonable.

That said, we probably won't make it this year. And someday. it sure would be nice to attend the "grown up" stuff for a change!

Comment

mini review
                            onsite cruise and parking a breeze.
                            12 bux entrance. cheep.
                            walked past a few dozen sullen home improvement and such booths to get to where we wanted to be. strange format. big carnival thing outside. still not what we wanted. hey wait; funny car exhibit. and don garlits style hotrods. blasted our eardrums.
                            tanks and helos here and there. beer tent. mmmm. Hot dog eating contest. mahalos for the free dogs guys and gals!
                            Marine base Rock band. surprisingly good.
                            Slug started things off main stage. Was told can't film performers. I sez but last year, filmed all nite long! Went backstage area. One official sez; this is America. You can shoot whatever you want. (ironical way of putting it... ) but another official sez; No we never had policy you can shoot performers. Uh, but the crowds fulla camera phone shooters. and many regular cameras shoot video too. as well as those camera phones.
                            One of those nofunface bullies in that walkway before the stage stopped me in the middle of Slug's first song. OK, no shooting the performers. Much later, in the middle of the full crowd, I was shooting the goofy celebrants. the same dude actually took the time to find me and tell me; This is the second time I tell you., No shooting here.
                            I sez: But I am not shooting the performers! I am shooting the crowd. and ferris wheel and away from the stage and junk li'dat! he then changed his rule. "OK, no shooting in this area!" No matter. ok. Slug's set was much shorter than last year. Some group called trick pony came on. sounds like the sesame street house band, but no, apparently some up and coming country band.
                            had one dude who did good rock guitar on his fender, a cowboy all in black (surprise) with an electric aucoustic. Some blonde girl with a voice like Dolly parton on helium. Imitating minnie mouse. uh ok, guess we can handle that. But wait. then they toss into the mix, a standup bass player in a hilbilly costume. kid ya not. He was doing things to that standup bass to imply he has not had a date in a few years. They played the usual. country western songs that basically, and any other way, sounded the same.
                            Then, 38 pecial. thot is was southern fried rock. But no, it was pretty good 80's pop rock with a lil twist of South America. (Texas)
                            again; film at 11.
                            Last edited by kimo55; July 5, 2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

BayFest Hawaii hasn't been updated with the 2007 info yet, but I heard rumors of the following artists coming, and so I decided to check out their websites:

Three Days Grace will perform Friday, June 30

and

Gretchen Wilson will perform on Saturday, July 1!!!

I have no clue who will close on Sunday, and I can't wait to find out.

In the meantime, I'm freaking excited that Gretchen's coming. Anyone who sings songs about Jack and Bud and homewreckers is an idol of mine!

-LL (closet redneck)
                              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                              We're not here to mess around
                              Boston, you know we love you madly
                              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                              You know we couldn't live without you
                              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                                Gretchen Wilson will perform on Saturday, July 1!!!
                                Oh, I am SO there too! Mahalo lots and lots for posting this info!!! I've been a big GW fan for a long time.
                                I'm probably gonna join that Club 27 thing on her website, just to do the "meet and greet" thing at Bayfest. Mainly because I think there's a 99.9% chance that I dated Gretchen's mother for a long time back when we were late teens and early 20s (and, as a matter of fact, if it is her, I met her here on O`ahu!).

I'm freaking excited that Gretchen's coming. -LL (closet redneck)
                                No shame in that. Rascal Flatts fan? Carrie Underwood? Kenny Chesney (country's version of Jimmy Buffet)? I'm not so big on old-style country, but the newer country-rock is some hot stuff.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X