Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Placenta and Hawaiian Culture

Originally posted by Miulang
    How's about wombats? Anybody got any beefs about me comparing Tom Cruise to a wombat???

Miulang
    Ummm...wombats are more cuddly?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
      Ummm...wombats are more cuddly?
      Got a face only a mama could luv. Back on subject of thread.... do you think Tom and Katie will keep thier baby's placenta? Xenu might need it for cloning or something.

BTW.... Do any of you remember an old Saturday Night Live skit for Placenta Helper ?
      Gross!
      Last edited by alohabear; April 18, 2006, 10:59 AM.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        Got a face only a mama could luv. Back on subject of thread.... do you think Tom and Katie will keep thier baby's placenta? Xenu might need it for cloning or something.

BTW.... Do any of you remember an old Saturday Night Live skit for Placenta Helper?
        Being in Hollywood, my guess is he'd call up a star chef like Wolfgang Puck and ask that the placenta be created into a 4-star dish by the maestro. Can't see him consuming it au naturel.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
          I found it interesting reading in this report about a bill all set to become law that would allow Hawaiians to take home thier child's placenta as according to tradition. What exactly do they do with it?
          Jeez, and I thought it was bad when people threw dirty diapers and cigarette butts out their car windows!

aaack!

Comment

I knew he was nuts.... read this link ! Yeah we joke ...but grossssss TOM! BTW.... we are still on topic!
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

Being in Hollywood, my guess is he'd call up a star chef like Wolfgang Puck and ask that the placenta be created into a 4-star dish by the maestro. Can't see him consuming it au naturel.

Miulang
              Too bad Iron Chef is no longer in production in Japan. "The secret ingredient is...PLACENTA! Allez cuisine!"

Comment

"It was all a joke!" yeah right. And I'm still Isabella, the Queen of Spain.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

And I'm still Isabella, the Queen of Spain.
                  Your most gracious majesty!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Too bad Iron Chef is no longer in production in Japan. "The secret ingredient is...PLACENTA! Allez cuisine!"
                    As I recall there was actually an episode of Two Fat Ladies years back where they cooked up a fresh placenta as the featured dish. Just tried unsuccessfully to find a reference to it on the Food Network site.

Comment

I found a mention that says it wasn't the Two Fat Ladies but another British food show, TV Dinners, by someone named Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        Silly me, I was thinking of the medical/public health/scientific/rational/safety issue.

Sorry Puai.

Times change, Cultures change too. ALL cultures change. I no longer burn crosses and you no longer build stone temples for sacrifice to war gods. Though it is likely that our great great great great grandfathers may have done both.

"Oh the times, they are a changin"

Ku met Christ in a field. They looked across and saw Allah, Ra, Zeus, and Buddha drinking tea on a grassy plateau under an old Olive tree. All sat down together and talked of the future.

Then 6 olives simultaneously fell from the tree and hit each of them on the head.

They laughed together.

PS - Rationality, rooted in science & logic, is the reason why cultures change.

PSS - This post was written carefully, thoughtfully, and edited with an eye toward not intentionally offending any of the readers.
                        Look Tim, I hear you, I really do. As for my own experiences, a couple of ziplocks and a ice-filled cooler sufficed fine. And because fresh is best, those trees and placentas were planted before the piko fell off. I am all about hygiene; no mortal pooper-scooper for my precious placentae. As for hygiene and handling, it is fair to hold placenta handling to the same standards and compliance of any other meat handling. Keep it sealed, keep it cold, and clean up any mess.

I am not gonna comment about placenta consumption because the thought makes me hurl. If someone wants to eat theirs, bonus on them. Please do not invite me to that supper.

Now, I can regale you with many true stories about home births besotted with UNsterile practices like giving birth in the warm springs down at Kapoho or Kehena and hepatitis issues galore. I am all for home births, but in the home; not in a tub, not down at the beach in the ocean, etc.

As for your other comments, I gotta ask. Did you even read what I wrote to you? Hawaiian culture is so much bigger than the war-driven confines you are fond of relegating it to, and celebrating births, along with their lovely peculiarities have nothing in common with public hangings. Why sensationalize the issue?

pax

Comment

The burying of a placenta after birth is not unique among the Hawaiians. That rite was (and still is, in some instances) practiced by East Indian families, Turkish families, Yugoslavian families, in Japan, and, of course, in the kanaka maoli families in Hawai'i.

Miulang
                          dont forget many native american tribal folks follw a similar practice...
                          Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

So placenta is meat. But the thought of eating it makes ya hurl. (me too, which is why I would never compare it to meat - yuck)

An ice filled cooler is proper handling procedure for medical waste.

I am most definitely confused/misinformed/uneducated in regards to the proper handling and treatment of the afterbirth.

I guess if you have your baby at home, you can do what you like with the afterbirth.

If you have your baby at the hospital, you are bound by the rules that apply in terms of medical hygiene, etc.

That's a compromise position that I'm willing to settle on.....How about you?
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                              So placenta is meat. But the thought of eating it makes ya hurl. (me too, which is why I would never compare it to meat - yuck)

An ice filled cooler is proper handling procedure for medical waste.

I am most definitely confused/misinformed/uneducated in regards to the proper handling and treatment of the afterbirth.

I guess if you have your baby at home, you can do what you like with the afterbirth.

If you have your baby at the hospital, you are bound by the rules that apply in terms of medical hygiene, etc.

That's a compromise position that I'm willing to settle on.....How about you?

Fantastic and I agree with everything you said. Thank you. Further, I am happy to compromise and I believe I did so when I paid attention to what you said and responded to it without attacking you.

</sweet curtsey>

pax

Comment

It's official now. The Gov. signed a bill today allowing a mother or her designate to take possession of the newborn's placenta provided it tests negative for disease. Congrats, Hawai'i. You're the first state in the nation to recognize the cultural significance of the afterbirth.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X