Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seeking Local Advice

Originally posted by MadAzza
    Same goes for any "(ethnic group) pride" stickers. These are for people who have not actually accomplished anything, so they fall back on their race/ethnicity in a sad attempt to hitch their wagon to someone else's ... what, I'm not sure. These also are the same people who throw cigarettes and other crap out their car windows. What do they care? Look how edgy they are!

Stop the hypocrisy!
    Sorry Mad I misquoted you. Above is your hipocritical statment in its entirety. You ARE a bigot.

BTW I DONT SMOKE!!!!
    Last edited by chriscollado; June 11, 2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chriscollado
      Sorry Mad I misquoted you. Above is your hipocritical statment in its entirety. You ARE a bigot.
      Nothing I wrote above is hypocritical. Nothing I wrote is bigoted. Your attitude is baffling.

I see people every day who have "(ethnic group) pride" stickers in their windows, and I see them throwing cigarette butts out their car windows. Should I be silent about that? Should I pretend I don't see? How am I a bigot for making that observation? I didn't say ALL people of a certain ethnic group throw crap out their windows. But I do see many of them doing it. (I also see many drivers whose ethnicity doesn't seem to match the sticker, but that's another topic.)

Again: How is what I wrote (what you quoted) hypocritical?

Is there is no point in trying to be reasonable with you? You are assuming something about me based on something I wrote, something that has nothing to do with the insult you have inflicted upon me. Guess what that makes you? Yup ... a bigot.

And because of your bigotry toward me, you will not listen or try to talk. You think you know me, and that is enough for you. You will remain closed. You do not want to learn. You want only to throw invective and insults. When someone refuses to be open, words fly unheard into empty space... as mine are doing now.
      Last edited by MadAzza; June 11, 2006, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Maddie, I thought you left us?

Chris, just know that everything pisses MadAzza off, and you'll appreciate her much more.

Note that in the post in question, MadAzza disclaimed that her diatribe belonged in a separate rant thread, then went on to rant anyway. And since others had questions about your Dominican Republic sticker, and since MadAzza included "racial pride" in the list of things that piss her off (along with bootleg Calvin stickers, pro-sovereignty people on welfare, and the like), I can see why you took it personally.

Bigoted? Jury's out on that one. But probably poor form, at least, to choose your earnest advice-seeking thread to unleash one of her trademark "don't tell me locals are anything special" essays.

Broad generalizations are made about "non-locals" ("non-brown"?) all the time, though. MadAzza's just taken it as her mission here to call folks on it... and push back a bit for good measure.
        Last edited by pzarquon; June 11, 2006, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Chris, just know that everything pisses MadAzza off, and you'll appreciate her much more.
          Absolute bullshit, but thanks anyway. Racial/ethnic discrimination pisses me off. Child abuse pisses me off. Littering pisses me off.

Kittens, sunrises and long moonlit walks on the beach don't piss me off.

What in the hell do you mean by that, anyway? Or am I just missing the humor? Calling bullshit occasionally means "everything" pisses me off? Ooo-kay.

Note that in the post in question, MadAzza disclaimed that her diatribe belonged in a separate rant thread, then went on to rant anyway. And since others had questions about your Dominican Republic sticker, and since MadAzza included "racial pride" in the list of things that piss her off (along with bootleg Calvin stickers, pro-sovereignty people on welfare, and the like), I can see why you took it personally.
          I believe racial pride is wrong. I am entitled to that opinion. I don't think people should be "proud" of an accident of birth, whether Hawaii, Indian, Scottish or anything else. Ooh, I'm such a hater!

Bigoted? Jury's out on that one.
          Excuse me?? Wow, name-calling sure comes easy to some people.

But probably poor form, at least, to choose your earnest advice-seeking thread to unleash one of her trademark "don't tell me locals are anything special" essays.
          I don't believe I ever said "locals (aren't) anything special." I said (something to the effect that) people aren't special based on whom their ancestors made babies with. What ethnicity is "local," anyway?

Broad generalizations are made about non-locals all the time, though. MadAzza's just taken it as her mission here to call folks on it, and push back a bit for good measure.
          That much is true.

So everyone thinks I'm a bigot because I don't believe in racial pride, discrimination or entitlements. Because I believe all people are created equal, and should be treated as such. That makes me a "bigot."

Wow.

Maybe I don't belong here. Sometimes it's just easier to let the forces of evil win.

Comment

My advice to you is learn some local talk and study some of the Hawaiian Culture. Especially the way the "local govt" took over Hawaii from the Monarchy. you will be surprised and maybe understand more. Put yourself in a place to work with more locals. even if you have to volunteer somewhere.
            Be more ka'amaina and you will be able to fit in better. Since I learned more about this state recently I have had less trouble understanding the "locals"

Comment

I believe racial pride is wrong. I am entitled to that opinion. I don't think people should be "proud" of an accident of birth, whether Hawaii, Indian, Scottish or anything else. Ooh, I'm such a hater!
              Look, just because you have nothing to identify you to your ancestors, doesn't mean the rest of us can't be proud of who we are, or where we came from. The people that bitch the most about others taking pride in their culture is those who don't fit in anywhere. Those like yourself.

What ethnicity is "local," anyway?
              It's not an ethnicity, it's an attitude, a state of mind, an understanding of life here. Having said that, you don't apply as "local".

So everyone thinks I'm a bigot because I don't believe in racial pride, discrimination or entitlements. Because I believe all people are created equal, and should be treated as such. That makes me a "bigot."

Wow

Maybe I don't belong here. Sometimes it's just easier to let the forces of evil win.

You must live under a rock. People all over the world are seperated by either racial, religious, or social lines. You are a bigot, the sooner you come to terms with it, the better off you'll be. I'm not the only one telling you to look in the mirror, bigot.

Comment

I was reading the responses here. I did not see anything that Maddie said
                that makes her a bigot. On the flip side, I have read numerous really bigoted
                comments during my time on HT. It seems some people can't deal with reality,
                are still complaining about those damn haoles stealing our land. I'm frankly
                tired of all the BS. If more people focused on the present and future, there
                would be a lot less problems. It seems a lot of people are stuck in a time warp
                and refusing to let go of the past. Especially when THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT CAN BE DONE TO CHANGE IT.

Before you bash me for my comments, like I know you will. I've lived
                here in Hawaii my entire life, and I'm haole. I'm deeply concerned about
                the future of Hawaii. To me, Hawaii is going to have very bleak future,
                unless people move on and focus on the future and not complain about
                the past.
                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                The Kona Blog

Comment

Absolute bullshit, but thanks anyway. Racial/ethnic discrimination pisses me off. Child abuse pisses me off. Littering pisses me off.
                  Bad spelling, too, forgot that one.
                  Kittens, sunrises and long moonlit walks on the beach don't piss me off.
                  Where's Kimo when you need him?
                  What in the hell do you mean by that, anyway? Or am I just missing the humor? Calling bullshit occasionally means "everything" pisses me off? Ooo-kay.
                  What the hell do I mean by that? MadAzza, do you read what you post here? Damn straight you're entitled to your opinion, but the vast balance of your contributions as of late has been to take potshots at everyone else. Many well taken, to be sure, top notch zingers... and calling bullshit is your right. But given the pride you take in your well-built reputation as a... well, MadAzza, you can't possibly be surprised at the reaction you're getting.

Though "everything pisses MadAzza off" was largely meant in affection. Damn me and my dislike of disarming smileys.
                  I believe racial pride is wrong. I am entitled to that opinion. I don't think people should be "proud" of an accident of birth, whether Hawaii, Indian, Scottish or anything else.
                  A point you've made abundantly clear, yes. Though hijacking a thread wherein someone was simply trying to get advice was probably not the best venue, which was my main point. You said yourself it belonged in the unmitigated rant thread.
                  What ethnicity is "local," anyway?
                  Not sure. You know it when you see it? (Local is as local does, and haole is as haole does?) You've taken issue with it, so certainly you've some perception of what it might include... or exclude. Locals are the upside-down Hawaiian flag flying welfare cases? The oversized truck drivers that throw cigarette butts out the window? The "brown people GOOD" folks?
                  Maybe I don't belong here.
                  Maddie, I love you for all your spark and wit and snark. I thought you enjoyed playing devil's advocate, having a good debate (and a flame fest or two), stirring things up. You've fessed up to this habit, and its one I indulge in from time to time myself.

But that habit has its downsides. So I don't get how you act so disturbed when you've rubbed someone the wrong way (especially when it wasn't by accident), when you pick on someone who has the gall to have ethnic pride (presumably something they feel quite personally, whether or not you think they're entitled to it), when you label disagreeing with you as "evil."

You took a break before because all the "evil" here pissed you off, and clearly you're letting your blood pressure rise again. On top of the previous instances where you've experienced "post-post regret" the morning after a long night of rants and jabs. If you're not enjoying the pot you stir, then really, what's the point? (Apart from watching everyone else froth at the mouth, I guess... but I know you well enough to know that's not what you're after.)

I mean, seriously. I thought you were at least enjoying the niche you've carved out for yourself. There's going to be a lot of ethnic pride, regional pride, all sorts of pride here, deserved or justified or not. But if you're going to take it all as a personal affront to your admirable philosophy of "we are all one," you're not going to have much fun, and it won't be much fun for those you call out, either.

A fellow who was having trouble fitting in here asked for advice. He mentioned his Dominican Republic flag, and while others also singled it out as a possible factor, you seized on it as an opportunity to decry all ethnic pride. A valid opinion? I suppose. An appropriate one given the context? I really don't think so. (You might think all religions are a crock, but I'd also hope you wouldn't go out of your way to say so if someone just wanted to find a church of a particular denomination in their new neighborhood.) And that's where I think most of the conflict stems from.
                  Last edited by pzarquon; June 11, 2006, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I can't remember where I read this recently, but apparently the very first time the word "local" was used was during the Massie trial (as opposed to "haole", which was what Lt. Massie, his mother-in-law and 2 sailors were called). I think the term was coined by some journalist as shorthand for the fact that all the accused rapists were born and raised in the islands, but were not of one ethnic race, which kinda makes sense. There were 2 Hawaiians, 2 Japanese and one Chinese-Hawaiian man arrested for the alleged assault.

Since 1931, I think the term "local" also includes anyone of any ethnicity who was born and raised in Hawai'i, making Caucasians like Konaguy a "local" because he was born and raised in Hawai'i. Too bad some groups and individuals use the color of one's skin as a way to determine whether someone is "local" or not without even considering the fact that they may be part of a kama'aina family. Maybe it would be better to stop using the word "haole" and describe people living in Hawai'i as either malihini or kama'aina. Politically, that makes more sense to me.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Since 1931, I think the term "local" also includes anyone of any ethnicity who was born and raised in Hawai'i, making Caucasians like Konaguy a "local" because he was born and raised in Hawai'i. Too bad some groups and individuals use the color of one's skin as a way to determine whether someone is "local" or not without even considering the fact that they may be part of a kama'aina family. Maybe it would be better to stop using the word "haole" and describe people living in Hawai'i as either malihini or kama'aina. Politically, that makes more sense to me.
                      I've lived here long enough to know that people's attitudes
                      will never change. It's pretty much a given there will always
                      be people with xenophobic,ignorant attitudes living here.
                      The older I've gotten, the more I've learned to not let these
                      folks put a rain on my parade .

In other words, in some peoples eyes my opinions will always
                      be discounted just because I'm haole.
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

Holding a white flag coming in! Hello. Hello.

Coast clear. Safe.

I am 50 years young. I have a Big Beautiful Book( filipino) Book wide nose that I love. Moa to smell the ono foods and sweet flowers of the islands. I am a Proud American. I am also proud of my heritage - Filipino, Potorican, Cherokee Indian, and who knows wat else. I love all ethnic foods no matter if I am not of that racial background. I was raised to respect others and their beliefs. I have instilled the same into my children and will do the same for my grandchildren as long as I live.

My grand-nephew's nick name is Haole Boy. Call him by his real name, he won't answer. My grandson is fair as can be. He got Hawaiian Blood. To me one's skin color has never mattered. It shouldn't. It's Racism and it's ugly.

I am a Proud Local Wahine. Yes, a Tita to da Max! It is an ATTITUDE!

The Aloha Spirit runs through my veins. I share it as much as I can with everyone who comes into my life. We live in a special place ~ Hawai'i nei. There is no other like her majestic beauty.

No matter where we come from, what blood runs through our veins...please remember "ALOHA!" It doesn't cost anything. However, it's weight is heavier than Gold.

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          Holding a white flag coming in! Hello. Hello.

Coast clear. Safe.
                          Mahalo for bringing much needed levity to this discussion. I ,for one, really do appreciate it.
                          Last edited by Konaguy; June 11, 2006, 08:49 PM.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                            Mahalo for brining much needed levity to this discussion. I ,for one, really do appreciate it.
                            You are very welcome Dear Aaron!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

"I believe racial pride is wrong. I am entitled to that opinion. I don't think people should be "proud" of an accident of birth, whether Hawaii, Indian, Scottish or anything else. Ooh, I'm such a hater!"

Racial pride is wrong? I don't get it. Aren't you proud of who you are? I'm proud of my accident of birth, of everything that I've been blessed with; diseases and all.

I don't think you are a hater; although you do come off that way. I think you're unhappy. But thats just my opinon I'm sorry if I'm wrong.
                              ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

you know without racial pride there would be a whole lot less festivals and foods to be tried because ppl would not be exposed to them

nearly every weekend somewhere in some neighborhood there is a festival of some type that is open to the public. you go you watch the dances, eat the food, meet new ppl, see new styles of clothing/fabrics, new home decor items. an you have FUN

Im white and I am proud of my white heritage...the Irish part, the English Part, the German Part and the Dutch part. I am also Proud of my Native American blood the Apache part, the Cherokee part, and the Iroquois part.
                                even tho I have no Hawaiian blood I consider myself to have a heritage of Hawaii because the culture shaped alot of who I am today by growing up there....BUT most importantly Im proud to be AMERICAN....because it allows me to show a flag, go to a festival, try new things. I try to take my kids to every type of festival/celebration/pow wow of every type of ethnicity to expose my kids to more types of ppl and cultures and things because it will allow them to grow to be more tollerant of others.

Ohhh an I see ppl with no stickers on their cars throwing crap out their windows just as much as ppl with stickers.
                                Support Lung Cancer Research

Comment

Working...
                                X