Re: Polynesian/Tribal Tattoos

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
    Too TOO FUNNY!!!!
    Since when is psycho a bad thing??
    Sharing withother survivors...
    www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

this was a very interesting read, I am not sure to be worried about my tattoos or not. I have a multitude of them(hence the TATT part in my screen name)including a tiki on my right forearm. Though I am in no means Polynesian, I respect the meaning of the Tiki. I know about the Polynesian tribal/family tattoos, and the history of family marks, tattoos for establishing the hierarchy, as well as the waterman tattoos. I hope that while in Hawaii, instead of being judged, people will ask, instead of thinking "look at that Haole with the Tiki"...Tattoos are like telling a story, and I have mine on display. If someone wanted to listen, I am always happy to tell.

Tattooing is the second oldest profession in the world, imo. And if the body is a temple, why not paint the walls. Art is something interpreted differently by everyone. I know some will judge, others won't, I am happy in my own skin.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
        this was a very interesting read, I am not sure to be worried about my tattoos or not. I have a multitude of them(hence the TATT part in my screen name)including a tiki on my right forearm. Though I am in no means Polynesian, I respect the meaning of the Tiki. I know about the Polynesian tribal/family tattoos, and the history of family marks, tattoos for establishing the hierarchy, as well as the waterman tattoos. I hope that while in Hawaii, instead of being judged, people will ask, instead of thinking "look at that Haole with the Tiki"...Tattoos are like telling a story, and I have mine on display. If someone wanted to listen, I am always happy to tell.

Tattooing is the second oldest profession in the world, imo. And if the body is a temple, why not paint the walls. Art is something interpreted differently by everyone. I know some will judge, others won't, I am happy in my own skin.
        I know nothing of "Waterman" tattoos. Do tell.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

There are certain motifs in the family pe'a that are symbolic of journeys/accomplishments, as well as the family lineage. Originally, tattooing was reserved for the women of high rank, but swapped some how...I can't remember the whole story off top of my head. It had to do with two sisters swimming home from an island with the tatau tools given to them by the king of an island, singing a chat, and they were so tired when the beached, that they sang in reverse, and the island natives took the tools as a gift and started tattooing, but on the men.

I will see if I can find the chart that has all the layout and meaning of the tatau...it is really remarkable. I can only imagine the process. All of my work has been done by machine, it must be incredible to have a suite done in the traditional style.

It is remarkable to see the full pe'a, and more amazing that people can still read them like books.
          flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

It's called the Pe'a. Not waterman tattoo.
            (I'm not attacking you personally TATTRAT just taking the time to clear some stuff up for everyone.)
            And it's not a Polynesian tattoo. It's a Samoa tatau and it stands on its own. I don't like my culture being grouped with other islands. What the Pe'a means to Samoans is totally different than what kakau has come to mean in Hawai'i, Tahiti...etc. Tagata Samoa never stopped tatau...we've been doing it for a long time and it holds meaning beyond comprehension.(beyond comprehension for those who do not live fa'asamoa/the Samoan way)

Someone in this thread said that "ART is FREE". Samoa tatau is not under your catagory of your western art.

oh and tattrat. Translation of the word Pe'a is flyingfox.

Comment

Off topic, but has anyone seen Keone Nunes recently?

I saw him last night at the bar and bruddah dyed his hair. He looks so young now.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
                It's called the Pe'a. Not waterman tattoo.
                (I'm not attacking you personally TATTRAT just taking the time to clear some stuff up for everyone.)
                And it's not a Polynesian tattoo. It's a Samoa tatau and it stands on its own. I don't like my culture being grouped with other islands. What the Pe'a means to Samoans is totally different than what kakau has come to mean in Hawai'i, Tahiti...etc. Tagata Samoa never stopped tatau...we've been doing it for a long time and it holds meaning beyond comprehension.(beyond comprehension for those who do not live fa'asamoa/the Samoan way)

Someone in this thread said that "ART is FREE". Samoa tatau is not under your catagory of your western art.

oh and tattrat. Translation of the word Pe'a is flyingfox.

Right on, I respect that. Thanks for the info.
                flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                God

Comment

Translation of the word Pe'a is flyingfox.
                  Is there a connection to the animal?
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                    Is there a connection to the animal?
                    Yes there is but it does not represent the whole meaning of the Pe'a(tatau).

Comment

Albert Wendt(Samoan) wrote a nice paper on it. Altho he is not an authority on the Pe'a and is not a tufuga ta tatau(tattoo priest)
                      http://www.nzepc.auckland.ac.nz/auth...t/tatauing.asp
                      Last edited by PoiBoy; May 3, 2007, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Albert Wendt(Samoan) wrote a nice paper on it. Altho he is not an authority on the Pe'a and is not a tufuga ta tatau(tattoo priest)
                        http://www.nzepc.auckland.ac.nz/auth...t/tatauing.asp
                        Interesting paper thanks PoiBoy...
                        "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

Yes, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                          X