Heard something that irked me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heard something that irked me...

One thing I noticed about the Big Island is it's large poor population and limited professional help to service them mainly in the rural areas. For many high school students, just graduating is a milestone. And when I hear some say they're getting their degree in something I praise them for sticking to it.

They say getting their Associates Degree was a monumental effort but now they're ready to hit the job force. Stunned I encourage them to continue with their 4-year degree but that vision is not within their sight.

With the Big Island's economy surging upwards, wages are beginning to rise as well especially in the Hilo market reducing the need for social services. Still, the poverty group is large here and it will take time for the reduction in their ranks to drop so the social sector can accomodate the most needy in an efficient manner.

As the local economy grows two things happen: 1) more moneies to help educate those less fortunate, and 2) those in need are serviced faster helping them get into jobs and off of subsidies.

Right now basic survival is the goal for many of the Big Island's rural families and when they overcome that hurdle, who the heck wants to stay? It seems the most prevailant jobs here are social services jobs yet it also has some of the highest turn over rates as outsiders come into this market but leave frustrated because of the "localness" of these parts.

It seems the answer may lie in the educating of these "locals" and help them help their own. But what happens when those in need are helped successfully? That's where our political and business leaders need to form some kind of alliance to provide economic support in the form of jobs for those who "climbed out of the bucket" of dispair and keeping them here to help bolster the economy.

Tough and maybe meaningless words for those graduating high school seniors who never was granted those lofty goals when they were younger, but it's not too late for the next generation of graduates to embrace that attitude. As we say, "our keiki are our future" and for those who are dependant on government subsidy for survival, hopefully their kids will be their salvation.

And that's why I love my wife so dearly. She took her education and is helping those families in rural areas get focused in education. She encourages her aides that work in Head Start for income to get their degrees so they may further their own vision of helping their own communities.

Living here and being exposed to many of East Hawaii's graduating seniors I encourage them to seek further education. It's amazing when a young man came up to me and asked me, "Craig how do you start your own business?" To me it's pretty straightforward and doable, but to him it was a dream he just didn't know how to turn to reality. With some help and guidance he's now a successful businessman here in Hilo. I see him once in a while and he tells me he wished he started this earlier in life.

Just a little encouragement got him going onto a bright future here in Hilo. I asked myself, "why can't our schools focus on goal setting like that and provide the tools to help our students here to develop a working plan for self-sufficiency". We do have programs here but we need more support from the working class and it's business leaders to encourage those less fortunate to stay and make effective changes in their lives. Thus the circle of enrichment blesses the next generation and the next. Pretty soon we have a world of achievers instead of a world of neglect.

When my wife and I moved here along with my kids, I never thought our stay here was going to impact those around us. But we've found a niche here and that's to help those who work and go to school along side us.

It's so rewarding to see families who once struggled, finding their own happiness from within. To me it was worth the move.

Now the sad part...we try very hard to encourage and support those willing to help themselves and even work harder for those who are so frustrated they can't help themselves. We need support too, it's not so much the money (wages here still lag behind Oahu and even Kona) but we need peer support. My wife had to go to a support workshop in Kona a couple of weeks ago. This group of talented educational experts got their thinking caps together to develop strategies for bettering the local communities they service. At the end of the two day workshop they cried because for once they were able to work amongst their peers who could appreciate their individual efforts in a collective manner. They got the much needed support to keep going with their vision of helping those less fortunate.

This is the kind of support social services administrators here on the Big Island need. After a while even the brightest become jaded with the frustrated attitudes here so it's so refreshing when you can reflect and sound off among those as intelligent as you where they understand and support your efforts. You come back to work with a renewed drive and stay focused on your goals.

It's a pioneering effort that has been ongoing for many years now here on the Big Island and those pioneers need some support so they can keep the brain drain from slipping away.
    Last edited by craigwatanabe; July 12, 2006, 09:08 AM.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Maui, on the other hand, is betting that the future of its young people is in the high tech sector. With additional contracts and small startups coming in to the Maui Research & Technology Center, there's the potential for many local kids to stay on Maui and make decent wages. The unfortunate thing is, to get some of the specialized training and experience, kids do have to go to the Mainland because Hawai'i still doesn't have the technical training facilities needed to teach certain types of skills. But if they want to return home after their schooling, the opportunities are starting to open up.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You really don't like this place, do you?

LOL....love it here....swam yesterday...headed up Mauna Kea this weekend...going to Honolulu next week...helped a family refi to get the kid to school on the east coast...donated a few computers to my daughters school....Picked up 2 sacks rubbish at Kealia Beach last Sunday .... etc ....etc ...etc

But you find closed minded, ignorant people in many places throughout the planet, and Hawaii has some of that attitude also, Dick.

When a person says "That's not how we do it here", they close their minds to new ideas.

It's easiest to push buttons on folks with soft springs.
        Last edited by timkona; July 12, 2006, 10:56 AM.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

i think its a great experience for kids to leave the islands and see what's out there. when they come home they really appreciate home. if you know what i mean.

Comment

You all make Hawaii sound like a really wonderful place to live. In times past I read threads say that the cost of living is high which I do believe that it is true, but the fact that it doesn't matter, there still is no other place for you is pretty nice. There trully must be something about Hawaii
            www.myspace.com/cc_splace http://www.heavenlyrainbows.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by dick
              For me it was more of a personal growth thing... I used those experiences to shape me a person, not to use as finger-shaking fodder (i.e. "they do it such-and-such a way on the mainland, so do it that way...")

I'm the type to shut up and do my own thing, and use what I've learned (from my time on the mainland as well as here) to shape how and what I do.
              Thanks for the response. It is a delicate balance for sure. One thing that works for me is just as you do, keep quiet. If I am doing something so radically different from the norm (and demonstrating success), interested people will eventually ask "how do you do that" and if they are sincere with their request, then I will tell them.
              You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery
                While grocery shopping today, I overheard some teenagers standing a few feet from me in the chips and soda aisle in Star Market. I wasn't listening to what they were talking about, but the one line I did manage to hear really hurt: "I don't plan on returning to Hawaii after college until I retire or for vacations."

It just led me to wonder when will we solve our brain drain problem. Our youth must see that if they are not satisfied with what Hawaii has to offer, then perhaps they should contribute to its development and progress by living and working here.
                Throughout most of the US it is considered pretty normal and healthy for young people to head for the horizon as soon as they get to college or employment age.

Also, I'm not sure how this consititutes "Brain Drain". Skilled people are arriving all the time, unless you only feel certain groups of people "count" in this equation.

Comment

I don't think it's that outsiders' views are frowned upon, but it's often the snooty, holier-than-thou pontificating ways in which they are presented.
                  Outsiders are definitely looked down up by a certain set of locals. Stereotypes and prejudices and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker
                    Outsiders are definitely looked down up by a certain set of locals. Stereotypes and prejudices and all that.
                    I'd be willing to wager that most of those "outsiders" who are looked down upon are the ones who go shooting their mouths off acting like know-it-alls. Pretty irritating to anyone, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                      ...helped a family refi to get the kid to school on the east coast...
                      Didn't your "help" just consist of preparing a property report for that family's mortgage company? (Which, as I recall, is what you do for a living.) And weren't you paid for doing that job?
                      If you personally helped that family (i.e., if you personally gave them a loan) then that's one thing, though it's unusual (to most folks) to brag about it.
                      But if you were just doing a job and got paid for it, then shame on you for trying to make it sound like some noble effort on your part.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'd be willing to wager that most of those "outsiders" who are looked down upon are the ones who go shooting their mouths off acting like know-it-alls. Pretty irritating to anyone, actually.
                        No, it just seems to be an assumption some make about outsiders. You're obviously also making this assumption yourself.
                        Last edited by beaker; July 12, 2006, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Many times, ideas and ways which work in other places outside of Hawaii simply don't go over well here. For whatever reason... maybe it's not cool culturally.. maybe it's been tried and been found to not work... maybe it's just a bad idea. Whatever...

Realizing when to back off and put up with it says a lot. Much more than any idea or brilliant outsider concept ever could. People who don't realize this often develop an "us versus them" mentality and start weeping about how the locals hate them.

Piping down and listening goes a long way here.

Nachodaddy has it right:
                          >>>If I am doing something so radically different from the norm (and demonstrating success), interested people will eventually ask "how do you do that" and if they are sincere with their request, then I will tell them.<<<

Until then keep quiet.

Comment

Here's a feel good article that somewhat addresses the topic of this thread.

Comment

Gosh Lika....so mean

if you gotta know, and I just feel I gotta tell ya, then the scoop is that I got them that report in like 2 days, when a report would take 3-5 weeks, stayed up way late to finish, cuz there was deadlines and stuff, got up microearly to get the report to CaliJersey or some other time zone not Hawaii, and did it all without charging 1 penny extra than my normal charge.

In other words, I did it for the kid. And I've heard thru the Kona Coconut Wireless that she was leavin on a jet plane any second, so she prolly long gone by now. I hope she does terrific in true Ivy League fashion.

I bet some in this forum have intimate understanding of the word "Deadline".
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com
                              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                                Gosh Lika....so mean
                                Gosh, Tim, but it turned out that I was correct. I do give you credit for admitting it.

I got them that report in like 2 days, when a report would take 3-5 weeks, stayed up way late to finish, cuz there was deadlines and stuff, got up microearly to get the report to CaliJersey or some other time zone not Hawaii, and did it all without charging 1 penny extra than my normal charge.
                                You act like nobody else here has ever gone the extra mile on a job. Sheesh. It's just that most of us don't brag about doing it.
                                And by the way, I had a home inspection done just a year ago and I got an extremely thorough and professional report the very next day. I have no idea why your usual time is "3-5 weeks" and it seems that having that much of a time delay would have a detrimental effect on closing escrows.
                                You say that family needed the money to pay for their child's school, so the chances are good that their home was not remarkably large or unusually difficult to inspect, which again makes me wonder at the time it took to create the report.

In other words, I did it for the kid.
                                Hello? Earth to TimKona, come in TimKona. You did it for the paycheck! [/cough] [/splutter]
                                Please try to foist your martyr complex on someone who might actually fall for it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X