Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Meaning of the Word 'Haole'?

Originally posted by warriorfan808
    As sad as it might be, a word's meaning changes after the context it is used dramatically changes.
    Don't know how or why it is sad that a word may have many meanings depending on the context. That is just the nature of a 'foreign language'. Foreign to some, not foreign to others.
    And it will remain foreign the more one adamantly states; 'haole' is only a racist word.

(we have seen it for years here on H.T and other "chat rooms".

"uh I wuz called 'haole' and I am deeply offended..."

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      Don't know how or why it is sad that a word may have many meanings depending on the context. That is just the nature of a 'foreign language'. Foreign to some, not foreign to others.
      And it will remain foreign the more one adamantly states; 'haole' is only a racist word.

(we have seen it for years here on H.T and other "chat rooms".

"uh I wuz called 'haole' and I am deeply offended..."
      Guess you didn't get that last part when I said I didn't say ONLY, but I guess you can feel free to add it in because you want to.

Also, it is sad if a word is changed into a negative word because of the context it is being used at the time.

You sound like one of them people that say it's ok to use the N word. "Oh I was called N and I'm deeply offended". Well if there are people getting offended by it, there has to be a reason? Lack of knowledge of what the word actually means? I would agree to that. The context to how the word is being used? I've seen it many times.

Also, read on. I'm not haole nor have I ever been called haole. When I was a dumb kid that didn't know any better, I actually used that word a lot and picked on kids.

I'm not going to say that the other meanings aren't correct. In fact, go back and reread my post and you'll see that I stated that I didn't say ONLY. However, twist my words anyway you want. You're fooling yourself if you think the word isn't used in a racial context.

Comment

yes, and it is obvious from my post I sound like one of them people that say it's ok to use the M word. and the F word and the L phrase.

"microwave"
        and also
        "fiduciary"
        as well as
        "Leaves in a summer's day"...

yea. it all follows! yer right!

Comment

I'm not going to say that the other meanings aren't correct. In fact, go back and reread my post and you'll see that I stated that I didn't say ONLY. However, twist my words anyway you want. You're fooling yourself if you think the word isn't used in a racial context.
          And that is why I said what I said. I don't use that term in a perjorative way and feel sorry for anybody who does and also anybody who perceives it to be perjorative and acts out because of it. ALL of us can say that other races have perjorative names for us, but not many strike out at others because of it, all the way from "half breed" to "popolo". Sometimes, we even use those perjoratives when referring to each other of the same race in a joking manner. Only in that case, it's OK to use descriptions in a perjorative manner and not take umbrage. Go figure. If you're not haole, how come you so upset then? P.S. Reread what Jonah K. says below. In degrees of offensiveness, I think "haole" is a far far better thing to be called than "poor white trash" or "slant eyed gook".

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; March 12, 2006, 03:29 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The N word was infamously used to refer to african amerian people to show that they were inferior. Not inferior as a person, but inferior as a race. How many times have you heard the sentence, "stupid haole"? How about, "Shuddup, Haole..you don't know sh.."? I've seen people with valid comments being dismissed and called, "haole" because of the color of their skin.

If you really believe that the word haole is never used in a racist way, then you my friend are the one taht is hūpō.
            There's a monograph by law professor Randall Kennedy that thoroughly covers the history of the "N" word. Here's a link....
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/037...lance&n=283155

The Hawaiian word haole is no where near as assaultive, no matter how much one might try to argue the point. Other "H" words, such as the English word "honkey" (also spelled "honky" and "honkie") and the Japanese word hakujin are more assaultive and racialized than haole will ever be. However, it can be argued that the word haole is a word of exclusion, much like the Japanese word gaijin ("outside person" or "foreigner") and that it separates the native from the non-native.
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              And that is why I said what I said. I don't use that term in a perjorative way and feel sorry for anybody who does and also anybody who perceives it to be perjorative and acts out because of it. ALL of us can say that other races have perjorative names for us, but not many strike out at others because of it, all the way from "half breed" to "popolo". Sometimes, we even use those perjoratives when referring to each other of the same race in a joking manner. Only in that case, it's OK to use descriptions in a perjorative manner and not take umbrage. Go figure. If you're not haole, how come you so upset then? P.S. Reread what Jonah K. says below. In degrees of offensiveness, I think "haole" is a far far better thing to be called than "poor white trash" or "slant eyed gook".

Miulang
              My niece that I raised on my own since she was 3 is light skinned and has been picked on a lot by local kids, even though she is local herself. Kids have said, "Don't play with her, she's a haole". She asked me what it meant and I gave her the foreigner definition. Later she tells me that the kids don't like her because they think she's white. Even though they see me, I'm as tanned as they come. I guess when it hits close to home, you go back and see how you may have misused the word yourself.

Of course I had a talk with the kid's parents and let them know that their kids shouldn't be saying that, especially because they aren't hawaiian themselves. Trust me, they have some very ignorant parents out there.

Also going to the mainland and being called the N word because I was darker than everyone else kinda opened up my eyes and let me see the other side of the coin. I remember hearing white people say, "There are black people and then there are "N", them there are N's." To me that was an ignorant comment. To me there are people and then they are jacka****, I could care less that color the person is.
              Last edited by warriorfan808; March 12, 2006, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I could care less that color the person is.
                Me, I could NOT care less what someone's color is. Fer myself, I mostly judge by other criteria.
                Last edited by kimo55; March 12, 2006, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Me, I could NOT care less what someon'e color is. Fer myself, I mostly judge by other criteria.

sorry, I most have had a typo, but I do mean the same thing.

Comment

that's ok, I most have done a typo also....

Comment

My niece that I raised on my own since she was 3 is light skinned and has been picked on a lot by local kids, even though she is local herself. Kids have said, "Don't play with her, she's a haole". She asked me what it meant and I gave her the foreigner definition. Later she tells me that the kids don't like her because they think she's white. Even though they see me, I'm as tanned as they come. I guess when it hits close to home, you go back and see how you may have misused the word yourself.

Of course I had a talk with the kid's parents and let them know that their kids shouldn't be saying that, especially because they aren't hawaiian themselves. Trust me, they have some very ignorant parents out there.

Also going to the mainland and being called the N word because I was darker than everyone else kinda opened up my eyes and let me see the other side of the coin. I remember hearing white people say, "There are black people and then there are "N", them there are N's." To me that was an ignorant comment. To me there are people and then they are jacka****, I could care less that color the person is.
                      So here in the islands people see you and think you're haole. And when you were on the mainland you were so dark people thought you were black. Ho, now that's confusing.

Comment

that's ok, I most have done a typo also....

It happens to the best of us. Just as long as what is written is understandable, I don't see a problem with it. This is a forum, not a classroom. I'm more of a Math and Science guy, got my BS and avoided writing as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          So here in the islands people see you and think you're haole. And when you were on the mainland you were so dark people thought you were black. Ho, now that's confusing.

It all depends on the part of the mainland I visited or lived in. While in Kentucky, people were very racist and ignorant. They thought people of Hawaii lived in grass huts and fornicated with their siblings.

I tried to explain to them some of the crap that was done to Hawaiians and some of them actually dismissed it and tried to justify what happened by saying, "Sh** happens to every culture" or, "They done worse to their own kine".

Comment

It all depends on the part of the mainland I visited or lived in. While in Kentucky, people were very racist and ignorant. They thought people of Hawaii lived in grass huts and fornicated with their siblings.

I tried to explain to them some of the crap that was done to Hawaiians and some of them actually dismissed it and tried to justify what happened by saying, "Sh** happens to every culture" or, "They done worse to their own kine".
                            How contradictory. If those in Kentucky were so ignorant to believe that people who live here live in grass huts, how would they be so astute to know what Hawaiians did to their own? Your statement makes little sense and sounds fabricated.

Comment

Funny thing after I read a lot of these posts.

When I was living in Washington as I was growing up... because I was Mullatto...(half black half white)

The town I lived in had a very low percentage of African American people, and because of this...there was a high prejudice towards African Americans.

At the time... I had plenty family in Hawaii...and to avoid the "Nigger" name tag that would have been associated with me... my parents taught me the phrase hapa haole...which at the time where I lived just meant Half White.

Funny thing is... most the people would think I was Mexican or Indian due to the large amount of immigrant farm workers in the area. (they were really considered the lower part of the social stratification in the area...therefore, using the words...hapa haole would at least get me away from being associated (by skin tone alone) with the (harsh words to follow...) "Spics" or the "Indians"

The word Haole can be used many different ways.... I have heard it used from a descriptive word to a racist word to a word that pretty much was mis-pronounced...ie; they said "hole" when it was spelled Haole however they thought the "A" was misplaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Nalu
                                How contradictory. If those in Kentucky were so ignorant to believe that people who live here live in grass huts, how would they be so astute to know what Hawaiians did to their own? Your statement makes little sense and sounds fabricated.
                                Sorry if things didn't come out clearly. I meant to say that some thought that we lived in grass huts and some believed we fornicated with our siblings. Call me a liar all you want, but I was told this. The grass hut thing was brought up by many people. The fornicating with siblings came from a guy who heard that polynesians hooked up with their brothers and sisters. Not too far fetched if you think of polynesian history.

Hope that makes sense now. I am not a liar.

Comment

Working...
                                X