X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idaho DJ insults Hawai`i

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    Yes I did... couldn't find anything...thus I asked for you to repost.[...]
    You asked me to repost a 'working site' because the URL that I cut and pasted from the Moscow CofC's web site didn't work. Why would I repost a non-working URL...esp. when you specifically requested a 'working site'?

Comment

BTW...my email wasn't snarky. Jeez...hula hoops weren't even invented in 1887!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        You asked me to repost a 'working site' because the URL that I cut and pasted from the Moscow CofC's web site didn't work. Why would I repost a non-working URL...esp. when you specifically requested a 'working site'?
        Because I noticed that the website was palousecountry.com (with an R)

I have never heard of the country of Palouse... however, I have heard of the county of Palouse so even when I tried www.palousecounty.com that still never worked.

Comment

It's a "country" music station, Manoa, so that's why it's "palousecountry." I guess.

Anyway ... Miulang, I am really disappointed in you for those comments above. They seem quite bigoted to me. Perhaps you should try actually getting to know some Republicans. Or would that put you too far out of your comfort zone? I don't mean that in a snarky way, I'm trying to figure you out.
          Last edited by MadAzza; August 15, 2006, 03:17 PM. Reason: typo!

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            How does any of that have anything to do with his comment?
            People in that part of the world don't see many people from Hawai'i so they don't ever get to learn about the place, hence the preconceived notions about what living someplace else is like. I used to be asked all the time when I lived in Boston if people in Hawai'i still lived in grass shacks. I told them, not lately, although we'd just converted to indoor plumbing right around the time of statehood!

Miulang

Maddie: People who've lived in this state know that the eastern half of the state is more conservative than the western part of the state. The people of eastern WA would love to have their own state (they're more closely affiliated with Idaho than Seattle).
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              People in that part of the world don't see many people from Hawai'i so they don't ever get to learn about the place, hence the preconceived notions about what living someplace else is like.
              You specifically mentioned it being a Republican area, not an area devoid of Hawaiians.

Your comments gave the impression that Republicans and Spokane-ites are stupid, drooling racists. Please explain.

Comment

People in that part of the world don't see many people from Hawai'i so they don't ever get to learn about the place, hence the preconceived notions about what living someplace else is like.
                Sort of like liberal Democrats who refuse to associate with non-Democrats?

Maddie: People who've lived in this state know that the eastern half of the state is more conservative than the western part of the state. The people of eastern WA would love to have their own state (they're more closely affiliated with Idaho than Seattle).
                I grew up in Washington, next door to the house my dad grew up in. Until recently, my brother and one of my sisters lived in Spokane. I am quite familiar with Washington, thank you. More so than you seem to be.

I'll ask again: What does being "conservative" have to do with ignorance?

Comment

People in that part of the world don't see many people from Hawai'i so they don't ever get to learn about the place, hence the preconceived notions about what living someplace else is like. I used to be asked all the time when I lived in Boston if people in Hawai'i still lived in grass shacks. I told them, not lately, although we'd just converted to indoor plumbing right around the time of statehood!

Miulang

I have lived in Washington... both Western and Eastern.

This was kind of an off comment Miulang.

Comment

You specifically mentioned it being a Republican area, not an area devoid of Hawaiians.

Your comments gave the impression that Republicans and Spokane-ites are stupid, drooling racists. Please explain.
                    Not implying that at all. Eastern WA folks have more rural interests, and they like it that way. I can't help it if they tend to vote Republican and are more conservative. Eastern WA folks (the ones living in Spokane) like their lifestyle...they can have city if they want in downtown Spokane and beautiful country right at their back door. Many people from Seattle go over there to get away from the big city. In fact, I love the Coeur d'Alene area because it's beautiful. But it's decidedly rural. If more people had the opportunity to travel outside their comfort zones and live among other kinds of people, my guess is there'd be less of these kinds of issues.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, you're prevaricating. Here is what you wrote:

>> Kinda makes sense for that DJ to make those kinds of remarks. The station is based is Colfax, WA, a "suburb" of Spokane. Their music format is country. That part of WA (next to the ID panhandle) is the "red" part of a "blue" state.<<

You mentioned it being a "red" part of a "blue" state, thus linking ignorance with Republicanism. You didn't say, "That part of WA has fewer trees" or "They listen to jazz" or some other politically and culturally irrelevant comment. You said the DJ's comments made sense because that area is full of Republicans who listen to C&W, implying that anyone who is Republican or listens to C&W is going to make those kinds of comments.

Liberals demand tolerance from everyone but themselves.

Comment

Yes the comments the DJ made were very ignorant. But I believe Adam Carolla's comments
                        were far worse than this guys one's were. Its like comparing apples and oranges.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Good example. I mean, it sounds like this Idaho/Washington DJ has a listenership of, what, twenty? If it is indeed an AM station with a possible college link. People with much larger audiences and much more influence have said much dumber things. If the flippant comments of an entertainment personality is ever worth a protest in the first place, that is.

And Miulang, it's much easier to just say you were kidding (heck, Leo went as far as invoking bestiality!) than to try and talk your way out of what you said. I'm married to a southern girl and make more than my share of stereotyping remarks, but when I get called on 'em? It's a fair cop.

Comment

Miulang, you're prevaricating. Here is what you wrote:

>> Kinda makes sense for that DJ to make those kinds of remarks. The station is based is Colfax, WA, a "suburb" of Spokane. Their music format is country. That part of WA (next to the ID panhandle) is the "red" part of a "blue" state.<<

You mentioned it being a "red" part of a "blue" state, thus linking ignorance with Republicanism. You didn't say, "That part of WA has fewer trees" or "They listen to jazz" or some other politically and culturally irrelevant comment. You said the DJ's comments made sense because that area is full of Republicans who listen to C&W, implying that anyone who is Republican or listens to C&W is going to make those kinds of comments.

Liberals demand tolerance from everyone but themselves.
                            By "red" I meant conservative, Maddie, not necessarily Republican. There are liberal Republicans and conservative Republicans, just as there are liberal Demorats and conservative Demorats. Sorry for the shorthand that confused you. I really meant "Conservative" as in outlook, not political affiliation.
                            Last edited by Miulang; August 15, 2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

By "red" I meant conservative, Maddie, not necessarily Republican. There are liberal Republicans and conservative Republicans. Sorry for the shorthand that confused you. I really meant "Conservative" as in outlook, not political affiliation.
                              "Red" means "Republican," not "conservative Republican." That map of red and blue states in every national election doesn't differentiate between conservatives and Republicans; it differentiates between Democrats and Republicans.

And even if it did ... my reaction to your comments does not change. How in the hell does being "conservative as an outlook" make someone stupid? So you think "conservatives" are ignorant jackasses. And that kind of bigotry is supposed to be OK? (Apparently, it is OK with some people.)

If you just admitted, "Yes, I think most white people and especially Republicans -- and really, really especially conservative Republicans -- are ignorant racists," I'd have a teeny bit more respect for you, just because of the courage it takes to be honest about something like that. It would still be appallingly ignorant and insulting, but I would respect you a bit more for your honesty. If that's what you meant.

Comment

"Red" means "Republican," not "conservative Republican." That map of red and blue states in every national election doesn't differentiate between conservatives and Republicans; it differentiates between Democrats and Republicans.

And even if it did ... my reaction to your comments does not change. How in the hell does being "conservative as an outlook" make someone stupid? So you think "conservatives" are ignorant jackasses. And that kind of bigotry is supposed to be OK? (Apparently, it is OK with some people.)

If you just admitted, "Yes, I think most white people and especially Republicans -- and really, really especially conservative Republicans -- are ignorant racists," I'd have a teeny bit more respect for you, just because of the courage it takes to be honest about something like that. It would still be appallingly ignorant and insulting, but I would respect you a bit more for your honesty. If that's what you meant.
                                I never said the comments were stupid, only that they were the kinds of things I hear from folks I know from that part of the world. I guess I was wrong to use the term "red" when I meant "conservative". So mea culpa. I didn't say they were stupid or jackasses, only that those comments were common from that part of the world. It's up for each individual to decide whether the comments are stupid or not (as some people already have indicated). This whole thing is giving me a haddock. Time for me to go eat some fresh local strawberries and blueberries over sour cream pound cake with lots of whipped cream on top...enough already. I want dessert.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                                X