X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Asian" vs "Oriental"

Originally posted by hkplayer
    Yep, its definitely confusing...or at least too vague. In the news here, when the cops are ranting about "asian" gangs...its funny that they are referring more to east indian gangs rather than say vietnamese or chinese ones (especially nowadays). I just love it when they put us in the same pot
    Many non-caucasians tend to put all caucasians into one "white" pot as well.
    Norwegians have little in common with Italians. Irish and Russians share very little.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Many years ago when I was living in the Midwest, a caucasian boyfriend informed me that the term "Oriental" was non-PC and considered offensive. Up until that point I had used it freely to desribe anything Asian, and my Indian family had never used it with negative connotations intended. Since being told that it was considered negative, I've not used it since, except when describing rug--or no--here on this thread!

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
        Many non-caucasians tend to put all caucasians into one "white" pot as well.
        Norwegians have little in common with Italians. Irish and Russians share very little.
        very good point
        There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
          Many non-caucasians tend to put all caucasians into one "white" pot as well. Norwegians have little in common with Italians. Irish and Russians share very little.
          A very good point indeed. Growing up in Hawaii, where Caucasians were in the minority, for a while I simply couldn't fathom that there were divisions like this. Even now I'm sadly ignorant of some of the distinctions, and when I catch myself, I remember the times I'd get mad at someone else for mixing up Chinese and Japanese or something similar.

Ignorance is ignorance, sure, and I'm still learning. So, on the part of others, I don't presume malicious intent in a gaffe as often as I used to.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            A very good point indeed. Growing up in Hawaii, where Caucasians were in the minority, for a while I simply couldn't fathom that there were divisions like this. Even now I'm sadly ignorant of some of the distinctions, and when I catch myself, I remember the times I'd get mad at someone else for mixing up Chinese and Japanese or something similar.
            Oh, me too. It wasn't until I got to college on the mainland and looked back at my high school days that I realized that my classmate, a guy named Billy Cohen, must have been Jewish. Hey, I just thought he was haole.

Comment

I guess we're all ignorant to some point. Yeah back in the mid 80's I dated this beautiful girl from Egypt. I asked the most ignorant question to her: Do you folks still ride camels? She replied: Do you still live in grass shacks?

Hmmm. Anyway I'm 100% Japanese but never been to Japan and can't even speak the language but can tell you that the Big Mac has...Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun! But despite my ancestry and being 45-years old, I've never regarded being called Oriental as being offensive, because I really feel that's what I am! I always assumed that Asians were people who came from the Asian continent, now the Japanese did originally come from the Asian continent however what does that mean for Europeans who are attached geologically to that continent?

I think people are just wound up too tightly and too focused on PC. My friend Helmut once called me a Jap, I figured he's just shortening the word so I replied wassup Germ! I can handle Jap, Nip whatever but just don't attach "F*!@K'n to it and I'm cool.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                I think people are just wound up too tightly and too focused on PC. My friend Helmut once called me a Jap, I figured he's just shortening the word so I replied wassup Germ! I can handle Jap, Nip whatever but just don't attach "F*!@K'n to it and I'm cool.
                hahaha good stuff right there... i l'edmao on that one...
                .: zensual :.

Comment

I'm about as caucasion as you get, Celtic ancestry; red hair and white skin, and my wife is Filipino. So our daughter gets to claim minority status as a Pacific Islander even though she's never been west of Texas!!! Also, the last time we went to Cherokee, NC the Cherokees there thought she was one of them. And why is "Philippines" with a ph and two ps and "filipino" an f and one p?

Comment

I grew up haole in Honolulu, and the Asian kids I grew up with would refer to themselves as "oriental." So that's how I referred to my friends without ever thinking it any different than them referring to me as haole. The switch to
                    PC was an unfortunate one, and I don't recall exactly when it took place. But now they're Asians. Whatever. I do recall being a little uncomfortable, though, when being called "a" haole. Subtle difference. But "He's a haole guy" still feels better than "He's a haole." I suppose it matters how you employ terms like that as figures of speech. Adjective? ok. Noun? That's racist.
                    Don't be mean,
                    try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                      I grew up haole in Honolulu, and the Asian kids I grew up with would refer to themselves as "oriental." So that's how I referred to my friends without ever thinking it any different than them referring to me as haole. The switch to
                      PC was an unfortunate one, and I don't recall exactly when it took place. But now they're Asians. Whatever. I do recall being a little uncomfortable, though, when being called "a" haole. Subtle difference. But "He's a haole guy" still feels better than "He's a haole." I suppose it matters how you employ terms like that as figures of speech. Adjective? ok. Noun? That's racist.
                      Interesting. Kind of like how 'Jewish' is less offensive somehow than 'Jew'...

Comment

I picked up saying "Asian" when I was living in California. I got sick of the white guys telling me (1/2 Japanese) that I couldn't say "Oriental".
                        I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
                          I picked up saying "Asian" when I was living in California. I got sick of the white guys telling me (1/2 Japanese) that I couldn't say "Oriental".
                          At least you didn't start calling people 'aZn'...

Comment

Being 100% Japanese (but 100% dakine local), I think I'd prefer being called Oriental over Asian. I actually see nothing wrong with being called Oriental. To me Asian seems too broad of a term encompassing the entire continent of Asia.

When I was in the military, a couple of friends of mine who were African-American called me a Pineapple because I was from Hawaii. "Eh Popolo!" I waved back! "What does that mean?" said Sgt Diggs, I told him it meant: Brother...soooooo you can imagine all the black guys in my squadron waving each other fist up and yelling out, "Eh Popolo...right on man!" This was back in the 70's by the way.

Us braddahs from Hawaii...we so mean yeah!

Comment

Asia - the world's largest continent, I kinda' like that. I'm asian in that context not oriental like that sofa All this pc stuff gives me a headache. forms, my dad was chinese and my mom japanese. so now what do I check to pidgeon hole myself for stats purposes.

USAGE NOTE: Asian is now strongly preferred in place of Oriental for persons native to Asia or descended from an Asian people. The usual objection to Oriental—meaning “eastern”—is that it identifies Asian countries and peoples in terms of their location relative to Europe*. However, this objection is not generally made of other Eurocentric terms such as Near and Middle Eastern. The real problem with Oriental is more likely its connotations stemming from an earlier era when Europeans viewed the regions east of the Mediterranean as exotic lands full of romance and intrigue, the home of despotic empires and inscrutable customs. At the least these associations can give Oriental a dated feel, and as a noun in contemporary contexts (as in the first Oriental to be elected from the district) it is now widely taken to be offensive. However, Oriental should not be thought of as an ethnic slur to be avoided in all situations. As with Asiatic, its use other than as an ethnonym, in phrases such as Oriental cuisine or Oriental medicine, is not usually considered objectionable.
                              * the "whiteaman" perspective is what's objectionable. in China (and other places) maps start with their own country centered so I use a globe. it's centered on Hawaii usually
                              this space for rent

Comment

so there you go it's the western's interpretation that makes "oriental" a derogatory word despite it's acceptance everywhere else. That is a bit arrogant isn't it!

All in the name of political correctness. Who's PC are we talking about anyway? Global PC or just Western PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X