Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How Racist Are You?

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
    Now my point of view: When a white person makes a racist joke he's considered a racist. When a black person makes a racist joke he's considered a comedian. Go figure that one.
    Are you serious cw?

I've heard many people of both black and white cultures making jokes.

Are you talking about professional comedians or just people in general?

Maybe that's why people only half understand me half the time here

Comment

so how is this one...TWINS...one black one white...

...There's a twist, though. Kian has the genes from the Jamaican-Caribbean side of the family. With dark skin, hair and eyes, she looks black. Remee has light skin, blond hair and blue eyes, and looks white.
      http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1813509

And a similar case with pictures of the twins...I like the doctors quote that follows. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9438648/
      But not a single doctor had ever raised a question, and in fact many doctors say that it is often impossible to identify the race of a newborn by skin tone. Pigment melanin, which determines skin color, may not fully develop until well after birth.
      So aren't we all born the same color??? Kind of a purpleish brown color? at least when we come out?

Comment

We all are born with the same color blood, and internal organs for that matter.
        Since when is psycho a bad thing??
        Sharing withother survivors...
        www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

im so racist its crazy....

but i'm sure if you felt the way i felt , you'd probably be racist 2.

alot of asians and stuff , are invading my motherland ... its not fair cuz , they wanna be included as the ''people of guam''..

thats cool but , not when you refuse to recognize the true people of the land.

which is the native.

a analogy that i like to use is .... your house.

imagine if another family decided to just live in your house. you'd be mad and stuff right? ... you'd fight to get em out and sh!t right?..... well thats how i feel.

i mean , other races can live in other lands , theres nothing wrong with that..

when it does become wrong , is when the natives are pushed aside as just another ingridient in the ''melting pot''.... when that happens..

than genocide happens.
          Ebb And Flow

Comment

An FYI to everyone, I am no longer ignoring mānoasurfer123. I rarely stay mad long enough for my own good.

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
            so how is this one...TWINS...one black one white...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1813509
            This is so awesome, mānoa. I cried.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
            USA TODAY, page 2A
            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
              An FYI to everyone, I am no longer ignoring m?noasurfer123.
              But seriously... who cares? I know I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                Are you serious cw?

I've heard many people of both black and white cultures making jokes.

Are you talking about professional comedians or just people in general?

Maybe that's why people only half understand me half the time here

Professional. Go check out some of the many black comedy venues on TV and you'll find those comedians that joke about white people. But heaven forbid some white guy uttering a single black joke, let alone any racial joke and suddenly this guy needs to be removed from society.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Professional. Go check out some of the many black comedy venues on TV and you'll find those comedians that joke about white people. But heaven forbid some white guy uttering a single black joke, let alone any racial joke and suddenly this guy needs to be removed from society.
                  the thing is ... is that many of those black comedy venues were/are written by White writers.

I guess your not too familiar with "Blackface" comedy of the past?
                  White blackface performers in the past used burnt cork and later greasepaint or shoe polish to blacken their skin and exaggerate their lips, often wearing woolly wigs, gloves, tails, or ragged clothes to complete the transformation.
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackface

May I also suggest the Book "Black Like You" about Blackface comedy and the struggle that black people had just to be able to be allowed to even get on stage or do comedy.

“Obviously black people can get away with saying things about white people that white people couldn’t be saying about black people, black people should be able to do things we don’t get to do, because of all the things we did to them that they didn’t do to us.
                  Political Satirist Bill Maher
                  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3075942/
                  Last edited by damontucker; October 27, 2006, 02:36 PM.

Comment

I stereotype people at times but I wouldn't go as far as to say that I'm racist. I'm kinda like Jdub in that I have no tolerance for a**holes... of all colors. But sometimes I might think something like "what an effin haole" not because they're caucasian per say but more that they're probably haoles who don't understand the local culture.

My wife is haole, born and raised in Cocoa Beach FL by the way.

So I dunno... perhaps technically I'm being racist but I truly think that I'm not.

Remember the song by Keola and Kapono Beamer "Mr. Sang Cho Lee...."(dunno if thats the name but you know which one)? Would anyone consider that racist?

Comment

Okay so it wasn't right then, that doesn't make it right now. It's bad and it shouldn't be done. You don't harass a generation that is more accepting of equality you educate them.

This isn't a "See how do you like it" when it was never done by that generation in the first place.

When a black comedian mocks a white person that's racist. It's not equality, it's simply racist and it shouldn't be condoned by anyone at anytime.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I myself a local boy who is half hawaiian and half filipino has NOT experienced any type, shape or form of racism since living here in California for about 8 yrs.
                        Though I have been mistaken for Mexican though I dont' speak the language.
                        Everyone that I have encountered gets the same treatment that I would like to get in return, give respect and get the same in return. 50/50
                        What I do get turned off is those who thinks they are hot s@#t or sheer snobs.
                        I sooooooo avoid them like the plague... Just don't like those who have their noses up in the air. Such a turn off

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                          What I do get turned off is those who thinks they are hot s@#t or sheer snobs.
                          I sooooooo avoid them like the plague... Just don't like those who have their noses up in the air. Such a turn off
                          And they come in all flavors...

Comment

Okay so it wasn't right then, that doesn't make it right now. It's bad and it shouldn't be done. You don't harass a generation that is more accepting of equality you educate them.

This isn't a "See how do you like it" when it was never done by that generation in the first place.

When a black comedian mocks a white person that's racist. It's not equality, it's simply racist and it shouldn't be condoned by anyone at anytime.
                            Sadly, I see much of that "see, how do YOU like it" rationalization stuff here in Hawaii. The jeering implication that somehow, white people are getting their just desserts when they are not the majority and are the target of harrassment instead of the perpetrators. That mindset very wrongly assumes that all whites participate in discrimination against those of different ethnic or racial groups and that it is poetic justice when prejudice is meted out to them.

I never did it, never taught my kids that it was acceptable (oh that would have been brilliant, seeing as they are half Hispanic).

ITA with all that you have said. It's not right, no matter who does it. There simply is no justification for it.

Just plainass wrong.
                            Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; October 27, 2006, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Funny, I Loved Crash..it was so bluntly honest about the realities of our own enviromentally produced racisms. I am a mixued "mutt" I am Irish, English, Polish Jewish(heritage not religion), Indian, and Black. Mostly I think people see me as white, but I often get questioned about my heritage especially in the summer. I am a teacher and students are always curious..lol..my 2 oldest children are fathered by an Irish and German man and my little one is fathered by a black and indian man. Race was sorta thrown in my face as a 9th grade student when I becam a cheerleader and the other girls were all white and 1 fillipino. They told me I needed to act more "white" and I was in shock. Granted my younger years were built in a neighborhood of predominatley balck and asian faces, so maybe I just never had that exposure until HS. It was the beginning of a life long lesson on people's itolerance. I am very well adjusted now that I am more comfortable with how I "act" and feel just beautiful in mannerisms that make me ME. I think it is obvious we SEE color, but it's the appreciation of culture that makes life much more interesting and lovable. If the view of color was the way to judge people, I would be an awful choice for a teacher. Yet, I know many educators who stereotype based on color..so unfortunate because they can do tremendous damage. I only hope if I move to Hawaii that I find the same amazing experinces with students and families I have found here because I simply love teaching and learning from all of my kids. And, I believe our cultures help define us but ultimatley we define ourselves in terms we are willing to live with. I laugh at the millions of times peopl ask wat my son is mixed with. When I first moved to Vegas people often assumed he was mixed with Latino (and He is not..lol) and back home he was considered by many to mix with some midlle eastern blood (not)..but so many people become preoccupied with color. So NYWays..I think we dcide our ultimate prejudices as we grow into our adulthood.
                              love is the necatur of life

Comment

I'm only racist towards people who are dirty, don't shower & bathe (for a verry long time I.E. who stench & reeks of B.O.) !!!.

Everyone else are ok in my book .
                                Aches & Pains
                                (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Working...
                                X