How many pure Hawaiians left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many pure Hawaiians left?

My grandma was a full blooded Hawaiian. I always admired the fact that she could say "I am Hawaiian".

Comment

Hawaiians are an endangered species, so why don't we set up a hawaiians only breeding habitat.

In about 3 years we'll have a thriving community of full blooded hawaiians running around growing taro~check that out we'd be killing two birds with one stone, this could also mean the end of the poi shortage!

So akamai.

(yaawn, wipes maka pia'pia' from my eye, huh whats going on?, what are we talking about?whoa, just had a dream there were big, masculine, men in malo's picking taro,>

J/J
      no need get mad!
      sigpic

Comment

[I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][I][QUOTE=Karen;112879]Howdy, Kahalu'u Kid,

I only care about the "spirit" of what they handed down to us, the good part meaning NO RACE is perfect or even near it, we're all human, etc. ... it isn't the literal blood of any race that makes it great. It is the spirit/mind/heart/person within that body.

So....I see what people are doing and have done, and our actions speak the loudest and most people have married and are marrying the person within, not by race. I see this as good, cuz it means, in simple terms that most of us marry the person we think is best, race be damned..

Aloha Karen,

Thanks for the comments. I definitely agree with the above things you said. Mahalo. When I said bloodline, of course I was referring to spirit, mind, heart, and culture of a people--not the literal meaning. Also, I'm not saying I "wish" there were more pure Hawaiians, or you should marry someone because of their race. I was just kinda wondering and noticing something...
        It's that in my circle of family, friends, co-workers, etc, it's the pure breed people that have a stronger connection with their native roots and culture. And I have sooo many international friends. Of course a lot of it comes from being able to speak their native tongues also. And that's my point, most of my mixed friends (I love em all to death of course) don't seem to have as much connection to any one of their ethnic backgrounds. They have so many that they follow certain traditions they like or can speak a little, but they definitely don't have as much connection as my pure breed friends who speak their native tongue and English equally well. I have a hapa friend who's dad is pure Hawaiian, but my friend can't converse at all in Hawaiian. He's more "Westernized" or "Americanized." English is his native tongue, and he definitely doesn't get involved in Hawaiian-related activities or traditions as much as his father. So my point is, with less and less pure Hawaiians, (which is a fact of life with inter-marrying, which I have absolutely NO problem with), will it be harder to maintain the identity of Hawaiian culture and civilization? Will it be harder to perpetuate the culture because of the strong western influence? Mahalo.

Comment

There has never been a culture that lasted forever. The essence of culture is CHANGE.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

my granny is pure hawaiian from my dads side

Comment

Originally posted by Kahalu'u Kid View Post
              In everyone's ohana and including circle of friends, how many people know 100% pure Hawaiians? I know my good friend's dad was pure Hawaiian, but I think that's the only person I know. Melting pot and poi dogs are all good, but are pure Hawaiians dying out? I hope not! Aloha.
              Considering that several waves of Polynesians sailed here from Tahiti, the Tuamotus, and elsewhere hundreds of years ago, there were probably never any "pure" Hawaiians to start with.
              Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                There has never been a culture that lasted forever. The essence of culture is CHANGE.

Perhaps you should tell that to the Chinese, and while you're at it, you'd be well advised to learn Cantonese and Mandarin. I'm sure as an advocate for "change", you realize that your American way of life will be a victim of change as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                  Perhaps you should tell that to the Chinese, and while you're at it, you'd be well advised to learn Cantonese and Mandarin. I'm sure as an advocate for "change", you realize that your American way of life will be a victim of change as well.
                  One other language that will become even more useful over time (if one intends to live in the US) is Spanish. Habla espanol?

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

oooh yeah lol
                    im proud to be puerto rican heritage even tho some think its a burden.. but at least I speak spanish :P

Comment

While the Chinese bury 1700 villages under water from a new damn, and while I do not defend, or hope for the sanctity, of my culture (except maybe football), I can say that your's is the greatest argument I have ever seen for the demise of ANY culture, including Hawaiian.

You smell that? Smells like fear to me.

Fear is the enemy of xenophobic cultures with cultural superiority complexes.
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

While the Chinese bury 1700 villages under water from a new damn, and while I do not defend, or hope for the sanctity, of my culture (except maybe football), I can say that your's is the greatest argument I have ever seen for the demise of ANY culture, including Hawaiian.
                        Blah blah blah, more random babble from you Tim.

You smell that? Smells like fear to me.
                        What I smell is the stench of your self-righteousness.

Fear is the enemy of xenophobic cultures with cultural superiority complexes.
                        I'm sure you would know more than most.

Comment

Flame, Flame, Flame.

You hold up Chinese culture as an example, while they themselves bury their own. The reason for this is that the Chinese KNOW that the future is more important than the past. This point is THE crucial misunderstanding in Hawaii.

The person best qualified to teach culture would be Grandma or Grandpa.

If any culture is set in stone, then please tell me when the last major Heiau was built in Hawaii, or when the last witch was burned in Salem, or when the last buggy whip was sold.

I bet you a dollar that more 9 year olds in Hawaii play soccer than ukulele. But I do not see that as good or bad. I merely see it as change.

Those who resist change, or revere the past, are often crushed by the steamroller of time marching on. Antiquated thought processes are a hallmark of xenophobia.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Yeah yeah yeah...and more kids play ukulele than know or sing "America the Beautiful".

Long live Amexica...

pax

Comment

Flame, Flame, Flame.

You hold up Chinese culture as an example, while they themselves bury their own. The reason for this is that the Chinese KNOW that the future is more important than the past. This point is THE crucial misunderstanding in Hawaii.

The person best qualified to teach culture would be Grandma or Grandpa.

If any culture is set in stone, then please tell me when the last major Heiau was built in Hawaii, or when the last witch was burned in Salem, or when the last buggy whip was sold.

I bet you a dollar that more 9 year olds in Hawaii play soccer than ukulele. But I do not see that as good or bad. I merely see it as change.

Those who resist change, or revere the past, are often crushed by the steamroller of time marching on. Antiquated thought processes are a hallmark of xenophobia.
                              One thing you continue to conveniently forget, Tim, is that you can't have a future unless you remember and learn lessons from the past. It's never just one or the other. It's always about the synthesis of BOTH.

Miulang

P.S. I bet there are more kids learning hula than playing soccer.
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                                P.S. I bet there are more kids learning hula than playing soccer.
                                I kind of doubt this.

Comment

Working...
                                X