X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How many pure Hawaiians left?

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
    I kind of doubt this.
    I'm not restricting this to just what's going on in the 'aina. Up here on CONUS and elsewhere around the world there are so many halau, and most of them have large groups of keiki (not necessarily kanaka maoli kids) learning hula and its tradition, culture and language.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I kind of doubt this.
      I'm not restricting this to just what's going on in the 'aina. Up here on CONUS and elsewhere around the world there are so many halau, and most of them have large groups of keiki (not necessarily kanaka maoli kids) learning hula and its tradition, culture and language. The culture, language and traditions of the kanaka maoli are being perpetuated by many people who may not even have any kanaka maoli blood coursing through their veins.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        I bet there are more kids learning hula than playing soccer.
        Are you serious, Miulang? There are a lot of young keiki learning hula. But let’s not forgot that soccer (known in most countries as fútbol) is the most popular sport in the world.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          Are you serious, Miulang? There are a lot of young keiki learning hula. But let’s not forgot that soccer (known in most countries as fútbol) is the most popular sport in the world.
          I won't address little boys, for whom the halau experience isn't nearly as prevalent as for girls, but on my island there are many more halau classes for keiki than there are ayso teams.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            I bet you a dollar that more 9 year olds in Hawaii play soccer than ukulele. But I do not see that as good or bad. I merely see it as change.
            How is this relevent to Hawaiian culture? FYI, the ukulele has its roots in Portugal.The Portuguese created the ukulele, not the Hawaiians.

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Those who resist change, or revere the past, are often crushed by the steamroller of time marching on. Antiquated thought processes are a hallmark of xenophobia.
            Blah, blah, blah... same tired argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              I won't address little boys, for whom the halau experience isn't nearly as prevalent as for girls, but on my island there are many more halau classes for keiki than there are ayso teams.
              If you could describe keiki as an age category then yes on the Big Island for young female keiki... there are probably more opportunities.

But from an experience, from someone who is close to me said, "as they get to about the age of about 8-9 and 10-12 they would probably say that some of the girls that were doing hula start to convert to other things such as sports and/or less creative things... and break away from some of the Hula that they learned at a younger age."

However, here on Oahu, I would definately say more young ladies are learning soccer before Hula if it's just the sheer number thing.
              Last edited by damontucker; November 6, 2006, 06:03 PM. Reason: Damn my writing skills suck now

Comment

However, here on Oahu, I would definately say more young ladies are learning soccer before Hula if it's just the sheer number thing.
                have you looked in your local yellow pages under 'hula'? There are maybe 20 halau in Kane'ohe alone....

pax

Comment

have you looked in your local yellow pages under 'hula'? There are maybe 20 halau in Kane'ohe alone....
                  answering PM.

Comment

I admire your spirit, Pua‘i Mana‘o, but what goes on in Kāne‘ohe or on the Big Island of Hawai‘i is not an indication of a larger trend. This is the way the debate has been framed:
                    Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    I'm not restricting this to just what's going on in the 'aina. Up here on CONUS and elsewhere around the world...
                    ...so my point is that it makes me truly happy that here in the islands, hula is just as popular as soccer, but worldwide, that will probably never be the case.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                    USA TODAY, page 2A
                    11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                      I admire your spirit, Pua‘i Mana‘o, but what goes on in Kāne‘ohe or on the Big Island of Hawai‘i is not an indication of a larger trend. This is the way the debate has been framed:...so my point is that it makes me truly happy that here in the islands, hula is just as popular as soccer, but worldwide, that will probably never be the case.
                      Hula is more popular in CONUS than Gaelic dancing or polka is, too!

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                      X