X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asian Posers: You guys are 100% American

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    A meaningful "ethnicity" for me would be something along the lines of tree-hugging suburban metalhead D&D geek. Human race.
    BWAHAHAHAHA! Can I be in your tribe?
    "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
      I'm just curious. I'm a Caucasian who will soon have my hair styled in a fashion that is patently considered non-Caucasian. I don't believe though, that by wearing my hair in this style, that I'm shunning my ethnic background.
      Whoah! So will we see Surfingfarmboy on your Hawaii visit in December sportin' cornrows? Cool! Based on the pics of you at Todai last year, somehow I think you'd match. Cornrows should have great "hairodynamics" for running the marathon too. lol

Sometimes I hear mainland sportscasters refer to the people of Hawaii as "Hawaiians", just like the reference to "Californians" or "Texans". Nothing wrong with that, IMO. If I were in a foreign country, I'd tell people I'm American, although technically I'm a "Citizen of the United States of America". Of course I could say I'm Hawaiian, because I have the ethnicity and geographical residency to back it up, but we are talking nationality, not ethnicity here, so I'm simply "American" and I'm leaving it at that.
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        If you're Kanaka Maoli and from Hawaii (duh) then you aren't American. Only Native Americans can lay claim to that. If you're anything else but live in Hawaii sure you can call yourself American, but you'd piss off a lot of native Americans out there.

It's not a bad thing...just the wrong thing to say and expect those natives to accept it. That's why I say that for all things considered I'm as USA as it gets because I don't dare call myself an American because I have no native American blood or ethnicity in me, just as I wouldn't dare call myself a Hawaiian because I'm not native Hawaiian or Kanaka Maoli.
        I'm an "American-subjugated" native who just happens to be kanaka maoli.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K View Post
          I'm an "American-subjugated" native who just happens to be kanaka maoli.
          As a citizen of the United States of America who's ancestry is from Japan but born and raised in Hawaii, I have a problem with claiming much of anything other than being a US Citizen.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

As a citizen of the United States of America who's ancestry is from Japan but born and raised in Hawaii, I have a problem with claiming much of anything other than being a US Citizen.
            One can be a U.S. citizen as well as an "American-subjugated" native -- they aren't mutually exclusive.
            Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

I understand the term "American" to have a cultural implication. I identify with being a US citizen, but not an American, because I am not from that continent, had only lived there for a short time for college, during which I learned to appreciate how different life&perspective is in Hawaii.

I want to say this: I think the US is a magnificent country, and includes as many noble elements in its history as its ignoble/horrific ones.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                Everyone born in the United States, or who lived in a territory when it became a state, is American. That is a fact. And native Americans aren't any more American than anyone else.

The Hawaiians I know are as "proud" as anyone else to call themselves American. For you to assume otherwise is just plain racist.

I can't believe you posted that.

ETA: I apologize if this comes across as rude, Craig. I'm just honestly stunned by your comments.
                This post really bugs me. My grandfather fought for this country, diligently paid his taxes, was gainfully employed, and inherently believed in the sovereignty of these islands and our people. He would not fit under your sweeping umbrella, but was no racist. In fact, to wave him under the name of "American" was demeaning to him, yet he most likely did more to bring honor to that term than most Americans do today. He educated himself about international law, and felt it his civic duty to champion for Hawaiian rights, and said this until the day he died "with sovereignty comes responsibility".

I don't think you are rude, but misinformed.

pax

Comment

I guess a key to this discussion is whether you are comfortable defining yourself, or whether you will allow others (such at the OP) to do it for you. If the latter is true for you, you may wish to do a little more soul-searching (or navel-gazing, if that's your style.)

I know what I define myself as, I know also what I am not, I know what some others consider me to be, and I know the occasional confusion between these. Whether that confusion morphs into conflict is up to me as well.

Comment

I wondering if this poster tries to sound like a numbskull or if it's a gift.

Hello, you're not even a little "Asian" and you never will be.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart View Post
                      I mean I have now been living in Asia for about 12 years
                      12 years of living in another country and you're still an ignoramus when it comes to basic race issues.

American is just a citizenship. Its not a race.

Comment

My ancestry is Irish. My citizenship is American. I've read a whole lot about the Irish experience, but I've never lived it. I joke with my bandmates that if we ever get to Ireland, I'm certain that I'll get the snot kicked out of me by a gang of drunken Irishmen who take offense at our appropriating their musical heritage for our own gain.

"So, laddie, you think you're Irish, do ya?" **Thump** "Well you're not bleeding green, are ya now?"

I love learning about the Irish culture, but I'm well aware that I'll never be a part of it. Because I'm an American. Simple as that.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

K-den. Here's an excerpt of what I wrote on July 15, 2006 in the "Being Black in Hawaii Thread." http://hawaiithreads.com/showthread....3289#post83289

"I come from a very large Ohana. On my Potorican side - I have relatives who have very beautiful dark skin and those who pull on the Cherokee Indian side have stunning Blue/Grayish eyes, Fire Red Hair and skin as white as snow. Still others have shimmering bronze with ebony black hair.

Ahhhh...the joy to go to Family Parties and to see the richness and diversity in which our ancestors gave to each of us ~ amazing!

I have numerous neices and nephews who have married into other cultural backgrounds as well. What a mix-up group we are. No one mentions skin color or how any of us looks. We just love each other."

I'm proud to have been born in the United States of America!

I am an AMERICAN!

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick View Post
                            Wow, you make it sound like it's a bad thing for people in Hawaii to call themselves American.
                            Why is that?
                            Why would we go around calling ourselves American? that kind of goes without saying. Like others have mentioned, American is not an ethnicity.
                            Last edited by Keanu; November 13, 2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post
                              "Ethnicity" is an illusion. Superficial bubkus.
                              Perhaps in your world. But this is Hawai'i and in Hawai'i ethnicity is not an illusion, it defines who we are.
                              Last edited by Keanu; November 13, 2006, 06:30 PM.

Comment

If you're Kanaka Maoli and from Hawaii (duh) then you aren't American. Only Native Americans can lay claim to that. If you're anything else but live in Hawaii sure you can call yourself American, but you'd piss off a lot of native Americans out there.
                                Why are you using English words like "american"? That's not what the indigenous people called themselves. They have their own languages, hundreds of them, in fact.
                                Burl Burlingame
                                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                                X