X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Japanese-Americans in Hawaii

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    Shaun, you have got to be kidding. You come to a predominantly English-language site, post a stream of Japanese characters that you know would be illegible to most viewers, then pull a, "Why, you mean you Asians can't read Japanese? And look at me, a white guy, doing the whole nihongo thing! How interesting!"

And then it comes out. You want to get better at Japanese, and do JET, to meet some "sweet," "polite" Japanese women just oozing with "femininity." (Don't feel bad... that's why lots of people end up in the JET program.) There's nothing new here, so don't pretend to have more noble or academic intentions. You're in love with a trendy aesthetic, a racial stereotype, a ninja ethic, a kanji tattoo. That's all.

See also Japanophile, Asian fetish, Pinkerton, Gwenihana...

Just be aware, in social settings, cultural norms might call for certain behaviors. But behind closed doors? Japanese women, Asian women, hell, all women, can kick serious ass.

Hi, I got to admit, I take love seriously. I want feminity so much I cared to learn a whole language over it. Pzarquon, you are right. But you are incorrect about one thing. The notion that most Japanese viewers here cannot read Japanese as you say. I do know that this site is as you say predominantly English. But just because you guys articulate in English mostly, it does not mean that you guys cannot read Japanese either. I say this because I do know that Japanese often speak English to each other, while Chinese speak Chinese to each other. I dont know why, but even the Japanese Canadian nissei guy who told me to not be sad that he can learn Japanese ten times faster than I can, spoke English to his Japanese friends. Even they didnt know that he knew 1200 Kanji characters, since he didnt bother using it outside of class as far as I could tell. It is the White guys that love to show it. Those of Japanese Ancestory often took these classes because they were lazy to learn another language, but I can tell you from my class they lacked the enthusiasm and did not have the same passion the other Gaijin have. But no worries, I will write the rest in English unless some of you insist in seeing my Japanese. I wouldnt be surprised if some of you get tired of white guys asking for Japanese phrases, since Japanophile romance is not really shared by many Nisseis from what I know so far, at least the way we Caucasians do it. But I find less of a barrier with you guys than Issei FOB's.

Comment

When you find your woman of your dreams...plezzzzz, come back afta one year and tell us how you're doing. I wish you well and hope you find what you are looking foa ~ and not become Pxssy whipped!

Asian broads are MEAN wen dey get mad!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
        But you are incorrect about one thing. The notion that most Japanese viewers here cannot read Japanese as you say. I do know that this site is as you say predominantly English. But just because you guys articulate in English mostly, it does not mean that you guys cannot read Japanese either. I say this because I do know that Japanese often speak English to each other, while Chinese speak Chinese to each other. I dont know why, but even the Japanese Canadian nissei guy who told me to not be sad that he can learn Japanese ten times faster than I can, spoke English to his Japanese friends. Even they didnt know that he knew 1200 Kanji characters, since he didnt bother using it outside of class as far as I could tell. It is the White guys that love to show it. Those of Japanese Ancestory often took these classes because they were lazy to learn another language, but I can tell you from my class they lacked the enthusiasm and did not have the same passion the other Gaijin have. But no worries, I will write the rest in English unless some of you insist in seeing my Japanese. I wouldnt be surprised if some of you get tired of white guys asking for Japanese phrases, since Japanophile romance is not really shared by many Nisseis from what I know so far, at least the way we Caucasians do it. But I find less of a barrier with you guys than Issei FOB's.
        Hawaii-born Japanese are like the ones from South America. Although they kept from intermarrying much in the first few generations, today they are local to their locale. Almost all of Hawaii-born Japanese, who are under 40, entire knowledge through the Japanese language consists of little more than a year or two in Japanese School during K-6 or a year or two in hs/college.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          Hawaii-born Japanese are like the ones from South America. Although they kept from intermarrying much in the first few generations, today they are local to their locale. Almost all of Hawaii-born Japanese, who are under 40, entire knowledge through the Japanese language consists of little more than a year or two in Japanese School during K-6 or a year or two in hs/college.
          Pzarquon, That is no excuse to tell a full blooded white dude. What you say is fair to say to someone if they are Japanese themselves writing Japanese on this forum. It is fair for him to assume many of you can write as good as he, given that he has less Japanese in him than many of you do. I think some of you second generation Japanese people here who can write a little should encourage him.

日本人の二年の日本語の勉強だとさ、比較的に見るとさ白人さんの六年ぐらいの進歩を皆していると思います。 彼は白人なので貴方達が幾ら日本語を少ししか学んでないと述べても、屁理屈は結構です。彼は一生懸命日本語 を学ぼうとして大変苦労をしているのですから、少しは貴方達の立場において少しぐらい認識不足でもハワイの 日系人達の立場を分かろうとしているのだからもっと優しく仕手上げても良いと思います。だから皆日本語を出 来る人は皆Shaun Hoffman さんを応援して上げたらどうですか。

Comment

well said.

Comment

I think the ability to learn a language also depends on when the language is taught. Little kids have way less difficulty learning a second or third language than someone who's in high school. They learn to speak those languages before they learn to read and write in it. That's why those "language immersion" classes for grade school kids are so successful. It also gives the kids a chance to practice the language with others who have to speak that same language.

I don't think becoming easily fluent in a language is genetically based, though. If a language is spoken at home and the child interacts with other people who speak that language, then the chances of the child becoming fluent in that language is almost guaranteed. I can see a Swedish kid learning Greek if one of his parents is Greek and speaks to him in Greek everyday and he lives in Athens, or if his playmates and everyone else he associates with only speak Greek.

This article gives some hints on why and how kids learn a second language and gives some pointers on how adults can make learning a second language easier.

Miulang
              Last edited by Miulang; November 18, 2006, 07:36 AM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I went to Japanese language school for six years through my elementary years. Unfortunately, I retained very little, primarily due to non-use in the home. My best years were when I conversed with my bachan, but even she spoke broken English well enough to communicate with non-Japanese-speaking people.

Language school back then was the equivalent of the A+ after-school programs of recent times.

People who go to Japan to work "pick up" the language out of necessity. My daughter spent a year in Japan on a Fulbright grant and became fluent enough to keep us straight in ordering food, getting the right train tickets, etc. when we visited Japan two years ago.

Look at the non-native sumotori who went to Japan such as Jesse Kuhaulua (Takamiyama), Salevaa Atisanoe (Konishiki), Chad Rowan (Akebono), and Fiumalu Penetani (Musashimaru). They all adapted successfully to the Japanese way, including the language.
                Last edited by oceanpacific; November 18, 2006, 08:11 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
                  I find many Japanese women very polite and sweet. I want to be nurtured by their sweetness, that I dont find in many of the Caucasian girls I have dated.

It is not so much the race, but I see more femininity in more Japanese women than in other groups. And it is hard to articulate it in words, but there is just a special quality about them that I like. It isnt the language.
                  To answer your question,
                  "What is wrong with meeting a lady that is Japanese but doesn't speak Nihonjin?" (You mean speak Nihongo. Nihonjin is a Japanese person). It does not matter. I have been burnt too many times and I just want to settle down with a sweet person. I find Half kids are cute, and I want my kids to be cute like that. My sister Katie also married a Japanese, Kenichi Craig Ikegami, who is now Craig Hoffman.

I am determined to become a father by next year.
                  I'm Japanese, female, feminine, polite, sweet and nurturing (hey! Stop that snickering!) but I don't want any half kids. I mean, if we only took half, what would happen to the other half of them and which half would we have? I'd want whole kids.

But I do admire people who learn different languages. I am abysmal with languages. If you come to Hawaii and hang out with local Japanese people (even local Japanese people who speak Japanese), you may find that many of us are speaking "old" (pre-war) Japanese and varied dialects of Japanese (rather than current Tokyo Japanese) partly because many local Japanese people learned to speak Japanese from their parents or grandparents. I went to Japan and tested my very very rudimentary Japanese on one of the hotel workers and he laughed and said (in great English) that I sounded like his Grandmother.

Comment

Hawaii-born Japanese are like the ones from South America. Although they kept from intermarrying much in the first few generations, today they are local to their locale.
                    "Although they kept from intermarying?" Gee, kind of soft and sterile, no? Lets see, "although the Ku Klux Klan southern whites kept from intermarrying, they are still really nice folks." Hows that sound?

Racial exclusivity is the same regardless of the source.

AJAs in Hawaii have gone from being staunch ethnic isolationists to Hawaiianophiles, and even beyond Hawaiianophiles as they try to present themselves and neo-faux-Hawaiians today.

Kinnah weeahd eef u aks me.
                    Last edited by kamuelakea; November 18, 2006, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                      I'm Japanese, female, feminine, polite, sweet and nurturing (hey! Stop that snickering!) but I don't want any half kids. I mean, if we only took half, what would happen to the other half of them and which half would we have? I'd want whole kids.

Seems like you would be smart to move back to your people. The chances of your descendants continuing your Nazi purity is slim living in a place like Hawaii. Just realistic statistics.

I have no problem with people of an certain kind wanting to perpetuate their own kind, but I've never understood why anyone who is an ethnic purist (gentile Nazi) DECIDES FREELY to live in the United States much less Hawaii. Why would you have your kids grow up in a diverse place and then encourage and or expect them to only breed with certain pedigrees. From what I've seen, parents like you usually guarantee half breed grandkids.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                        Seems like you would be smart to move back to your people. The chances of your descendants continuing your Nazi purity is slim living in a place like Hawaii. Just realistic statistics.

I have no problem with people of an certain kind wanting to perpetuate their own kind, but I've never understood why anyone who is an ethnic purist (gentile Nazi) DECIDES FREELY to live in the United States much less Hawaii. Why would you have your kids grow up in a diverse place and then encourage and or expect them to only breed with certain pedigrees. From what I've seen, parents like you usually guarantee half breed grandkids.
                        Errr... she was making a joke. "Half kids", as in did you want the top half, or the bottom half, in the King Solomon style of child custody.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                          Seems like you would be smart to move back to your people. The chances of your descendants continuing your Nazi purity is slim living in a place like Hawaii. /snip
                          Glen's right (thanks Glen), I was just making a joke (which half would we have and who would get the other half?) Guess that's what I get for being a smart ass (but still better than if I were a dumb ass I guess)

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            heheheheh. The name came from the sister of my first boyfriend. She died when she was 12 of pneumonia. It was also the name of one my cats.

Miulang

P.S. I dunno what all my pedigree is. Sometimes I ack "Chinese" too!
                            And dis whole time I thought you were one pure blood, local to da max, China girl.

I learn something new everyday!
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post

But I do admire people who learn different languages. I am abysmal with languages. If you come to Hawaii and hang out with local Japanese people (even local Japanese people who speak Japanese), you may find that many of us are speaking "old" (pre-war) Japanese and varied dialects of Japanese (rather than current Tokyo Japanese) partly because many local Japanese people learned to speak Japanese from their parents or grandparents. I went to Japan and tested my very very rudimentary Japanese on one of the hotel workers and he laughed and said (in great English) that I sounded like his Grandmother.
                              I dont mean to again use Japanese, but in this case, please forgive me. I must straighten this lady out. 貴方ハワイ出身なのに何故人類差別なことを私に述べるのですが。貴方も日本国内で生まれた一世の日本人の目 から見ると日本人とお互いに認められないくせに日本人の相手以外の人達と付き合うのがいやだったと批判する のですか。私は白人で日本人になりたくてもなれないのである。貴方は幾らハワイ出身でも日本国籍が欲しいけ れば日本は貴方に断ることが出来ないのである。皆日本人の血が繋がっている人達は日本人になる可能性が絶対 あるのである。私の場合はそうでも行かないし、日本人と一緒に日本で結婚しても日本人になる事は不可能であ る。ですから貴方は日本に帰国するべきです。そこで、皆に
                              日本文化の習慣に溶け込むことが出来なかって苦しい経験をして来たら貴方もこの差別は良くないと認識すると 思います。

話を切り替えるけれども私を日本人じゃないと差別する資格があるのだったら私、この白人様よりも日本語を学 ぶべきだ。こんな古い考え方をするのだったら、日本語がこの白人様を及ぶことが出来ないのだったら恥をかく べきだ。

恥をかけ! この外人様に日本語の言語力を負けるな!
                              これぐらい出来ないのだったらそんなに差別する資格が何所にあるのだ。
                              For the rest of you, who arent so conservative as she, I dont mean to direct this statement to you good fellas. I figured if she is going to be so prejudiced towards me for wanting "pedigree" Japanese kids, then she ought to embrace everything Japanese like those from her old country. And she can start by surpassing my limited Japanese that I can command as a White Guy with not a single ounce of Asian blood!
                              Last edited by Shaun; November 18, 2006, 09:29 PM.

Comment

*sigh*

It had nothing to do with you wanting "pedigree" kids. It was just a joke ~ you know, a pun? on your "half kids" statement.

Comment

Working...
                                X