Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sovereignty - help me understand

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
    Is there only one "society" moving forwards? Self-determination is a basic right IMO. The "self" in this case applies to an ethnic group firstly and a nation secondly.
    What defines a culture if its representatives cannot set the ground rules and tone in their own homeland?
    Yes, all races and peoples of Hawaii are one society. It is not progress to move towards a government that fragments society according to one race being superior to any other.

The current government, as messed up and dysfunctional as it is, gives active representatives the ability to set "ground rules" in their homeland in a manner equal to all. I can't imagine that a Kingdom of Hawaii, if it existed today, would be fair, just, and impartial to all its people, even to members of the Hawaiian race. It would probably be a an elitist society benefiting those (Hawaiian or not) that are allies of the ruling families of Hawaii.
    Last edited by mapen; May 10, 2007, 02:07 PM.

Comment

sorry, duplicate post
      Last edited by mapen; May 10, 2007, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Interesting new scholarly article that was just published called "A Slippery Path Towards Hawaiian Indigeneity". It questions the assumptions made about the history and laws of Hawai'i by comparing the differences between Hawaiian sovereignty and Hawaiian indigeneity.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X