Creation Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creation Museum

What are your thoughts on this new Museum...

Creation Museum Ready for Debut

Morning Edition, May 28, 2007 · Twenty-five years ago, Ken Ham says, he felt a calling to build a museum to promote creationism.
    A quarter-century and $27 million later, The Creation Museum has opened in Petersburg, Ky., just outside Cincinnati.
    The displays offer the creationists' view of how the world came to be, which differs sharply from the teachings of science.
    Ham, a native Australian, breaks down the differences for Steve Inskeep:
    "There is a conflict if you try to add evolution to the Bible and take Genesis as literal history," he says. "For instance, the Bible teaches man was made from dust in [the book of] Genesis … whereas evolution would teach that man came from some ape-like ancestor.
    "I know there are many Christians who say they believe in evolution [over] millions of years," he says. "I would say they're being inconsistent in their approach to scripture. A literal Genesis is actually the foundational history for the rest of the Bible for all doctrine.
    Ham's view explains why visitors enter to see two animatronic baby dinosaurs alongside two children.
    "When you have dinosaurs and people together, that makes a statement concerning one's belief about the age of the Earth and evolution," he says. "Obviously it flies in the face of what secular evolutionists will teach."
    Ham says the museum – which drew protesters on Monday – does try to cover both sides of the debate.
    "We actually do give both sides as people walk in," he says, explaining that a fossil exhibit has "a creation paleontologist" and "an evolutionary paleontologist" offering different interpretations of the same fossil.
    He rejects the idea that science has a lock on empirical evidence.
    "All scientists have presuppositions that they start with that determine how they interpret evidence," he says, adding that scientists were not around to see dinosaurs walk the Earth anymore than creationists can claim to have been present to observe Adam and Eve.
    He remains hopeful that the museum will attract skeptics as well as believers.
    "I think a lot of people will come who don't agree with us," he says. "There are people who won't go to church, but who will go to something like this."
    "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Creation Museum

Makes me think I should consider raising my kids in another country. Seriously.
    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
      Makes me think I should consider raising my kids in another country. Seriously.
      Evolution has long generated bitter fights between the left and the right about whether God or science better explains the origins of life. But now a dispute has cropped up within conservative circles, not over science, but over political ideology: Does Darwinian theory undermine conservative notions of religion and morality or does it actually support conservative philosophy?

I have noticed that when the subject of home schooling comes up it’s usually in a conservative Fundamentalist Christian home. Will the bible be the only resource book? How will children get a degree without the basic knowledge of science ~ history etc? How is carbon dating explained in creation theory? Will we fall further behind in the world race in the field of science?

This CreationMuseum should help people realize that we are in a war against religion and ignorance, and if we lose it will be a return to the dark ages.

I grew up in a Christian home and evolution was never questioned by my faimly, why now?
      Last edited by greentara; May 29, 2007, 06:45 AM.
      "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

It's not a museum. Unless their displays are considered art.

Religion is such a joke.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
          Evolution has long generated bitter fights between the left and the right about whether God or science better explains the origins of life. But now a dispute has cropped up within conservative circles, not over science, but over political ideology: Does Darwinian theory undermine conservative notions of religion and morality or does it actually support conservative philosophy?

I have noticed that when the subject of home schooling comes up it’s usually in a conservative Fundamentalist Christian home. Will the bible be the only resource book? How will children get a degree without the basic knowledge of science ~ history etc? How is carbon dating explained in creation theory? Will we fall further behind in the world race in the field of science?

This CreationMuseum should help people realize that we are in a war against religion and ignorance, and if we lose it will be a return to the dark ages.

I grew up in a Christian home and evolution was never questioned by my faimly, why now?
          I would guess that your "Christian" home was not of the fundamental variety. Catholics have long embraced evolution as the method God employed. That can't be squared with an Earth only 6000 years old as many Creationists believe.

Saw this last night on cable:

http://www.flockofdodos.com/

Worth watching IMO.
          Last edited by sinjin; May 29, 2007, 07:27 AM.
          “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            It's not a museum. Unless their displays are considered art.

Religion is such a joke.
            From what I've seen their exhibits are quite artistic Tim...

Comment

I would guess that your "Christian" home was not of the fundamental variety. Catholics have long embraced evolution as the method God employed. That can't be squared with an Earth only 6000 years old as many Creationists believe.

Worth watching IMO.

Thanks for the link I haven’t heard of this film, seems like Mr. Moore has created quite a genre. Yup, very Catholic and very Portuguese, even went to Catholic school and evolution was definitely taught.

Comment

Worth watching IMO.
                What channel?
                I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                  What channel?
                  I believe it was Showtime.

Comment

I don't want to get into any debate so I'll just say (in my opinion) that it's cool to show another viewpoint.
                    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Well, back to the drawing board.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle1848419.ece

I can remember the endless debates over the length of the cubit, in order to determine how big the Ark, as described in Genesis, would have to have been to hold all the animals in creation. We questioned the nuns a lot about this one in religion class. Even children instinctively know it would have to be one HUGE boat. In fact, this debate was central to the Creationist dilemma from day one - how big would it have to be? I think the interpretation of scripture they settled on eventually was about the length of a person's arm - three feet, more or less. Now they want to stuff in all those brontosauruses, supersaurses, stegosaurus, and even tyrannosauruses. The latter, as we read, were actually vegans according to the Creationists, thereby dismissing any feeding problems during those 40 days and 40 nights.

Let 'em eat hay, dammit!

Aloha!

Comment

LOL Funny I don't remember any debate in Catholic school over the creation myth or evolution. We were taught evolution and religion.

Comment

Funny to watch all of the "intellectuals" discount the idea of creation. You laugh off the idea of religion when you have a religion of your own, the religion of atheism or the religion of evolution.

Seems clear that micro-evolution exists. ANimals do go through changes as they adapt to their environments.

But no one on this board or any other can prove that all living things can be explained via random variation and natural selection.

If you are of the religion of evolution or the religion of atheism, you must believe that you can take an amoeba, and through billions of billions of random, mindless, pointless mistakes (genetic mutations), you can end up with a new born human baby.

The best analogy I've heard is that that is like throwing a bunch of silicone and metal and rubber in a room and expecting a supercomputer to spontaneously develop through a series of pointless, meaningless, random mistakes.

Which religion seems more "stupid" now?

Comment

The one that says some unseen superbeing explains everything, although I wouldn't say stupid, just far-fetched.

Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.
                            Last edited by sinjin; June 4, 2007, 07:26 AM.

Comment

The one that says some unseen superbeing explains everything, although I wouldn't say stupid, just far-fetched.

Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair color.

Sorry. Athiesm, by scientific definition, is actually irrational. Agnosticism (you admit that you just don't know) at least is rational.

See, if you know science, you cannot prove a negative. Simple truth. So an athiest is claiming something that is impossible. You cannot prove that a god does not exist.

At least the religious can list their own "evidence" for a creator. You may say that the "evidence" is weak, but that would be just your opinion.

Funny how the loudest members of the church of atheism are often times the most "highly educated" in a Western definition of education.

Did you ever wonder why EVERY civilization known to man from ancient to modern, from open to closed, from lost to hidden, has some form of religious expression. Doesn't that seem odd? Or I guess all humans are just ignorant fools???

Comment

Working...
                              X