Paradise Lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paradise Lost...

Honolulu's about the smallest "big city" I could live in. San Francisco's nice but it's too cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      Honolulu's about the smallest "big city" I could live in. San Francisco's nice but it's too cold.

San Fran is one of my favorite cities. yea, ya gotta dress layered but dass cool too.

So many great things to do and see there.
      usta do the macworld trade show moscone center. What fun.
      then retrasce the steps of Kim and james in vertigo, see saucalito, go to Tonga room fairmont hotel, see all the unique shops, great restaurants...

Comment

I've been to La La land and you can keep that stinking rat hole (yes LA is in a basin) Honolulu is very much a mini LA but worse because of our physical boundries, our Million+ (yes Honolulu is officially a Metropolis now) population cannot spill out to alleviate the overcrowdedness. We will become another Hong Kong which is much worse than LA. The land to person ratio is the same if not worse in Honolulu than in LA and that's what counts.

By any standard, Honolulu is a big city with all the trappings and travesties that come along with it.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey Kimo, I ran across this Honolulu Weekly article on architect Pete Wimberly, the guy responsible for Tops, Coco's, Popo's, and many many more Hawaiian buildings. Is this the kind of architecture you're talking about?

"When people come to the Pacific," Wimberly once said, "they want to see something that looks Pacific, not some New York hotel."

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Hey Kimo, I ran across this Honolulu Weekly article on architect Pete Wimberly, the guy responsible for Tops, Coco's, Popo's, and many many more Hawaiian buildings. Is this the kind of architecture you're talking about?

exactly. and exactly the article that help prompt my raising hell on the subject here...

Comment

Eh, we get same kine probs up hea too, wit all da "iconic" old kine architecture being torn down to make way foa new stuff. Had one funky restaurant called the "Twin Teepees" up da street. Dat's exactly what it looked like: 2 teepees stuck together. They had a fire about 5 years ago and the place closed down. Some group around here wanted to save the building (built back in the 1940s, I think), but the owner razed the thing and there's been a vacant lot sitting there for at least 2 years now.

We have a building up here in Seattle that started out as a gas station. The station was a big 10-gallon hat and the men's and lady's restrooms were 2 cowboy boots (I think it was called the "Hat and Boots Service Station"). Anyway, the thing stood abandoned and uncared for for years. One of the little communities nearby has finally saved the thing and is planning to restore it.

There are other former gas stations up here that were built in protest of the Teapot Dome scandal so they all look like teapots. They're no longer service stations, but I hope community groups are looking to preserve those, because they do tell a story about a period of American life that is long gone.

If we don't try to preserve the past, there will be no stories to tell to our kids and their kids and future generations.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Eh, we get same kine probs up hea too, wit all da "iconic" old kine architecture being torn down to make way foa new stuff. Had one funky restaurant called the "Twin Teepees"Miulang
                there are web site re the above;
                roadside americana...

Comment

there's this company here in Kea'au that builds these octagon shaped homes. Kinda like the tops design really nice.

http://multi-facettedhomes.com/

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    there's this company here in Kea'au that builds these octagon shaped homes. Kinda like the tops design really nice.

http://multi-facettedhomes.com/

feng shuay condusive.
                    garanz barbaranz!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      feng shuay condusive.
                      garanz barbaranz!
                      You'd probably need to have custom, built in furniture because there aren't too many furniture companies that make octagonal pieces. I do like the fact that they're environmentally sound, though, and that they would be more termite and rot resistant than the normal pine. I would definitely take that into consideration if I was building a home in Hawaii. My "dream house" would have a puka (atrium) in the middle so I could see my plants from inside the house. Then I also wouldn't need a yard!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally I was going to build using this company by incorporating eight of their 20-foot diameter Hale's as they call it. Two stories with each Hale on the corners separated by 40-foot long enclosed pathways on the first and second floors, a 3600 sq foot ground floor center atrium/mezzanine topped off with a clear dome over the atrium. Total interior sq footage was approximately 11,000 sq ft under roof. Cost was just under $500,000.oo for this beauty but my wife got pregnant and we had to downsize our dreamhouse to a custom built 2500 sq ft 4-bedroom 4-1/2 bath ranch style home for $245,000.oo

Each Hale can be erected over the weekend.

Comment

Originally I was going to build using this company by incorporating eight of their 20-foot diameter Hale's as they call it.

wait.
                          they called it
                          "Hale is"
                          ??!!

Comment

Originally I was going to build using this company by incorporating eight of their 20-foot diameter Hale's as they call it. Two stories with each Hale on the corners separated by 40-foot long enclosed pathways on the first and second floors, a 3600 sq foot ground floor center atrium/mezzanine topped off with a clear dome over the atrium. Total interior sq footage was approximately 11,000 sq ft under roof. Cost was just under $500,000.oo for this beauty but my wife got pregnant and we had to downsize our dreamhouse to a custom built 2500 sq ft 4-bedroom 4-1/2 bath ranch style home for $245,000.oo

Each Hale can be erected over the weekend.
                            You're right...that IS reasonable. So a 1000 sf hale could probably cost around $100k or so...that would be less than what my 2-bedroom condo is worth now...hmmm

Miulang

Comment

I have to make one addendum to these Multi-fawcetted homes and that their only shells. You have to add the interior walls (if desired) and all the electrical, plumbing and fixtures to make it a home. It's just a shell.

The price I indicated is a finished price including everything. I forgot the rule but it was something like $110 per square foot for a finished wood beam home.

Comment

Those look very nice. Even if you had to bring someone in to put in the finishing touches, you'd definitely be saving quite a bit over conventional construction. You tend to think of modular, quick-up homes as ugly, boxy, flimsy things. These homes look positively fancy/trendy!

That settles it. When I get my big, lush lot of land north of Hilo, I'm building myself one of these!

Comment

Working...
                                X