Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think filipinos "copy" people/ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think filipinos "copy" people/ideas?

I just noticed that I myself (a filipino) want to have "working examples" of things (programs, websites, computers, etc) then I take that information and either craft my idea around it, or blatantly copy it.

I remember my Mom mentioning that filipinos tend to do that quite often. Sometimes relatives get the same car (or stick to the same car brand), use the same gate, or even go into the same occupation as one another.

Is this prevalent with all filipinos, or does the same goes on for other ethnic groups?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Do you think filipinos "copy" people/ideas?

Maybe some people groups are more prevalent at this,
    but I think it's basic human nature.

By the way... "Imitation is the Greatest form of flattery".
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
      Is this prevalent with all filipinos, or does the same goes on for other ethnic groups?
      Adrian, I refuse to answer your question on dee grounds dat it would make me look uhhh....a copy cat!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Oh man if a haole girl posed that question--the fallout! As a journalist, I wouldn't want to copy anyone's anything! But if you feel there's an example of writing or a Web site you'd like to emulate...do something to make it your own. Embellish, take away, personalize it. Also, if you are compelled to copy, then you should request permission to use their data/object/art/text; and if they agree, provide them a credit.

As for copying houses, gates, lunch menus, recipes...why reinvent the wheel when success is on the other side of the fence? As a neighbor, i wouldn't want everyone up and down the street to make their house or yard look like mine, but you can't really stop it from happening. Encourage individuality!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

And to think that just a generation or two ago, it was the Japanese who were characterized as "copy-cats."

We all do it ...... and why not? If it works, it's a proven commodity.

Comment

I suspect it's also an immigrant thing. You're new to the country, you're still learning how things work here, you're maybe not so sure of yourself... so if you see someone you know doing something successfully, you do the exact same thing. You don't try something different, because you're not confident enough of your own judgment in the matter. But then, as time goes by, you feel more comfortable making your own decisions, and you branch out.

Comment

...and if your family ties are strong (as they are in many, many cultures), you are likely to turn to them for advice, and likely to follow their recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
                I suspect it's also an immigrant thing. You're new to the country, ....
                Nah. It happens a lot in dee Mother land too!

Everybody "copy cat" everybody!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Is this why Adrian keeps asking all kinds of questions about how people do different things? Because he wants to see how it's done, and then go do it that way?

Comment

The only thing I'm disappointed in my people (yes, I'm filipino) is the incessant need for Apple iPod.

What makes it worse is when they call it an "ee-pod," like "Eee-saac." (Yeah, I used to call someone that -- also a filipino -- when I finally realized the spelling of his very Westernized name.)

--I'm so not an Apple fan.
                    Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Is this why Adrian keeps asking all kinds of questions about how people do different things? Because he wants to see how it's done, and then go do it that way?
                      Quite possibly, but then again... don't we all?!

Ask questions about "How others do it?".

Comment

I just noticed that I myself (a filipino) want to have "working examples" of things (programs, websites, computers, etc) then I take that information and either craft my idea around it, or blatantly copy it.

I remember my Mom mentioning that filipinos tend to do that quite often. Sometimes relatives get the same car (or stick to the same car brand), use the same gate, or even go into the same occupation as one another.

I was thinking about that too this week.

My mom tried to get me to become a postal worker.
                        My dad tried to get me to become a teacher.

I ran away and joined the Army. State National Guard though with a Iraq deployment under my belt.

I saw the movie, "The Debut"

His dad was a postal worker and he was trying to get his son to become one too...screw it. I ain't being no postal worker for the next two decades just for a pension.

About "copying ideas" i think it is more of a "I can do it better than you can!" attitude. If i get the same thing as Mr. *insert Filipino last name here* my wife would love me again for getting it bigger and better!!! Heh-heh-heh.

Anyways don't listen to me, i'm just a young man who turned his back on his whole culture. My caucasian father gave me enough to hide the Filipino and i did my part to bury it away. Now here is my crazy theory on cells in the body! The body needs to replace every single cell in the body; i don't know when but i do know how. You destroy cells when you workout and the body replaces them with brand new ones. I believe i can do away with the Filipino body cells away and replace them with my Caucasian side body cells. But i didn't just want a replacement for the Filipino cells, i wanted them gone. If anyone were to ask what my background was, i'd always say i was haole. But i realized that limiting myself to my genetics was suffocating, i didn't just want to be a white man, but i wanted to be more than human. I wanted to be like those guys i sometimes see. These monster muscle dudes that don't look Filipino or white anymore, but they look like Gaia created them out of mud and clay so they were to look like stone. Stone i tell you!

I'll tell you a story that my hard work has paid off! I was at the Waipahu transit center a few months ago and this Filipino chick approached me. She asked me where FilCom was, so i pointed with my fingers ( Yeah, all my fingers, i can do that ya know. I don't ever use my mouth to point! ) and told her to go that way across the street at the end of the corner. But than she said no no no, Filipino Community Center! What the hell is that, i ask? Oh, it's where Filipinos gather and do things. Really? For real? We have this thing this Saturday night and you should come hang out. Oh no, i cannot, i might get shanked by an angry Filipino boy cuz i don't want to be Filipino anymore.

After that she ran away to another bus stop with her other chick friend and they both stared at me like i was an alien...or some kind of monster. I made a mental note to never say anything like that again unless i enjoy being alone.

:-)
                        Last edited by Jack Hawksmoor; June 9, 2007, 08:13 AM. Reason: Eh, i seem crazy thats why. Gotta keep craziness levels down.

Comment

I know a lot of that was "tongue in cheek" and I really enjoyed reading it Jack.

Got me thinkin' of my growing up days on the Big Island...
                          and how I wished I wasn't haole. Being in a mostly Hawaiian/Oriental mix community. Puako, between Kona and Kawaiihae.

So here's my take on it.
                          Two different aspects, but still on the same side of the coin.

There's the wanting to be like others...
                          And the not wanting to be what we are.

Which means the other side of that coin would be fully embracing our own individuality. Everything from fresh ideas to our heritage.

Hmmmm

Comment

I suspect it's also an immigrant thing. You're new to the country, you're still learning how things work here, you're maybe not so sure of yourself... so if you see someone you know doing something successfully, you do the exact same thing. You don't try something different, because you're not confident enough of your own judgment in the matter. But then, as time goes by, you feel more comfortable making your own decisions, and you branch out.
                            Interesting perspective here, Glen. Perhaps this copycat phenomena that Adrian speaks of is more prevalent amont immigrant Filipinos than "born here" Filipinos?
                            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

some people are more inclined to follow in other people's footsteps than others, regardless of their ethnicity or genetic family ties, and regardless whether their belief that such inclination to follow other people's steps is a result of ethnicity or genetic family ties is mistaken or not.

sometimes people follow other people's footsteps out of a lack of originality, a need to follow what has been tried and tested, and/or simply because it makes them feel as if they belong.

whatever it is, it's certainly not something that only filipinos do.
                              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                              X