do you 'believe' your horoscopes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: do you 'believe' your horoscopes?

So....Ive been reading through this thread and the majority of you guys don't "believe." This what I have to say:

i don't think things are true or untrue; granted I agree with DKP, theses horoscopes and fortune cookies and such seem more like advice *or general occurances that could happen to just about anybody* than actual foreseeing.

It is what one believes. For instance, you're studying for a huge exam and the whole time youre thinking Im not going to pass im gonna fail! when you get the test back no matter how well you knew all the material, you failed! If someone truly in their heart feels something, I believe it may be willed into play.

Then there is the unexplainable. Sometimes things happen to people that one cannot really explain, but people can always break it down and pick it apart and have a scientific explanation or a reasonable reasoning, but you know, some things just are just unexplainable and some just spiritual.

The world *or even the universe, for that matter* is so vast and there is so much to learn and discover that we can never uncover even half of the universe's secrets in our whole life time, so who are we to say whether it is or it isn't what's right or what's wrong? It is what you believe and what you make of it, but I must say many of the sources of these horoscopes and psychics and tarot readers may not be reliable, especially off th einternet.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
      Cool! You learn something every day -oops that's another thread
      I think part of that is because you (like many of the folks here) are willing to learn. Open-mindedness, especially when it comes to more controversial topics such as faith and belief, will take you far. (Based on your posts, it looks like it already has.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        I think part of that is because you (like many of the folks here) are willing to learn. Open-mindedness, especially when it comes to more controversial topics such as faith and belief, will take you far. (Based on your posts, it looks like it already has.)
        Boy, you sound condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
          Gee, I didn't take it that way at all. More of a "like we're all a bunch of cool, intellegent group" type of thing.

I'm only commenting cause the comment was directed at me.

Comment

Not meant that way at all - please take it on face value, as I do consider the majority of posters on HT to be intelligent, creative, spiritual and engaging.
            Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
            More of a "like we're all a bunch of cool, intellegent group" type of thing.
            Exactly as it was meant - thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Not meant that way at all - please take it on face value, as I do consider the majority of posters on HT to be intelligent, creative, spiritual and engaging.
              Please excuse me, I was having a bad day and reacted without thinking. My apologies.

Comment

Please excuse me, I was having a bad day and reacted without thinking. My apologies.
                Not a problem at all - I think we've all been there, and it's easy to misunderstand postings on a board. No harm, no foul, as they say.

Comment

If I run into good advice, I'm gonna take it, who cares where it came from.

pax

Comment

Long ago before the internet when I was a kid, we took a tour to Hilo's Hawaii Tribune Herald newspaper. Back then syndicated columnists and the horoscope person would send the stuff to the paper via teletype. The person conducting our tour said that if the teletype machine broke down they would get one of the staff writers to write that day's horoscope for the paper.

From that day on I never believed in horoscopes.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      From that day on I never believed in horoscopes.
                      From what I've heard, even horoscope believers think what's in the paper is trash.

Comment

the reason why those who do follow astrology don't believe the stuff in the paper is bcs the stuff in the paper is based only on one aspect of what is called your "birth chart"--the sun sign (the astrological sign the sun was in at the date and time you were born. so if you were born between apr 21 and may 22 or something like that, your sun sign is taurus, for example). astrologers take into account not only where the sun is at the date and time of your birth, but where the moon, mars, jupiter, etc were and how they overlay against what astrologers call "houses." astrologers would say the best horoscope takes into consideration all of those things PLUS the position of the sun, moon, mars, jupiter, etc against the "house" overlay for today.

if you're curious as to what a "more accurate" horoscope would be, check out astrodienst.com and punch in your birth date, birth time, and place. there's other free stuff to check out there...for entertainment purposes, of course. *wink*
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          From what I've heard, even horoscope believers think what's in the paper is trash.
                          The only thing about the stars that I believe is that most of them are like our sun and some of them may have planetary systems revolving around em. They are light years away from us and the chances of anyone visiting even the closest star system within our lifetime is practically none.

I go with the astronomy stuff, not the astrology stuff.

Like the poster before me stated, it's all "for entertainment purposes". People shouldn't take this stuff seriously.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Nope. In God I Trust.

Comment

Gecko, that's what I have gotten from true believers, too. I've been told if I was curious about my horoscope that I must "have it charted." I've been offered a free, indepth charting but turned it down cuz I got weird vibes from the person that offered and I don't mean cuz she believed in it.
                              Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                                [...]do you believe?
                                Yes, but only if it says I'm an earth angel! And my midnight moon is in manakoora. And my jupiter aligns with mars. And my aquarius refuses to age. And my mercury isn't retrograde. The next time all of that happens is in the year 2183. I can't wait! Literally!

Comment

Working...
                                X