Hawai'i Pono'i Coalition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i Pono'i Coalition

Interesting to see the composition of this new group which has been created to dispel some of the misconceptions about Hawai'i history. But can this group really educate the general public to the truth about how Hawai'i came to be part of the United States? And more importantly, will people listen?

Some of the state's largest and most influential Native Hawaiian organizations have formed a coalition aimed at educating the broader public about what it believes are the truths and misconceptions of Hawai'i's history.

The Hawai'i Pono'i Coalition will start its efforts with a celebration of the 169th birthday of Queen Lili'uokalani at 'Iolani Palace from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 2. The event, which is free, will include exhibits on Native Hawaiian history and culture, as well as all-day entertainment by Hawaiian musicians and hula halau. Families are encouraged to bring their own lunches, although there will be food booths.

...Among those listed as members of the coalition are Kamehameha Schools, the Office of Hawaiian Affairs, the Department of Hawaiian Home Lands, Alu Like Inc., the Association of Hawaiian Civic Clubs, the Friends of 'Iolani Palace, the King William Charles Lunalilo Trust, the Queen Lili'uokalani Trust and Learning Center, the Queen Emma Foundation, the Native Hawaiian Legal Corp. and Takamine's 'Ilio'uokalani Coalition.
    Info on the Sept. 2 celebration

Miulang

P.S. While I was rooting around on the Hawai'i Independence website, I stumbled upon an absolutely fascinating blog called "Haoles for Hawaiians". Worth reading if you want the opinions of a non-Hawaiian about the whole sovereignty issue.
    Last edited by Miulang; August 18, 2007, 08:33 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hawai'i Pono'i Coalition

Bumping this, in case someone wants to go participate in the celebrations today at Iolani Palace...

Hau'oli la hanau, ke Ali'i Liliuokalani!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X