Rust Car???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Car???

Can anyone give me any advice on the rusting car issue? I've been told by some people that it would be a good idea to "rust proof" my car. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my car from rusting???? I don't live near the water but I've been told it doesn't make any difference. Does rinsing it off after coming from the beach help? I’ve been told that rust proofing cost about $1,200 and of course I don’t want to spend that much if I can help it. On the other hand if it is the only way to preserve my car I will probably have to do it. Just got the sucker paid off so I want it to last as long as possible.

Many Thanks,
    Elizabeth

"When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Re: Rust Car???

How old is the car? The cars from the 60's all rusted out like crazy. I've got a '89 that's spent a good portion of it's life here and has no rust whatsoever. Manufacturer's rustproofing has come a long ways.

Comment

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer that I use to tow a boat and it hasn't rusted yet.

It's equipped with some sort of electronic anti-rusting gadget that seems to do the trick.

McKenna's Windward Ford can probably tell you about it. It's been a long time since I bought it and forgot exactly what it's supposed to do. All I know is that it seems to work. Of course Ford also galvanizes almost everything before assembly and painting, and that's what's most likely behind it all.

As for rustproofing, I wouldn't do it on a new car. Not with what manufacturers are doing to protect their vehicles. In fact, the Honda dealer told me it could actually create problems by trapping moisture under certain circmstances.

Comment

Originally posted by greentara View Post
        Can anyone give me any advice on the rusting car issue? I've been told by some people that it would be a good idea to "rust proof" my car. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my car from rusting???? I don't live near the water but I've been told it doesn't make any difference. Does rinsing it off after coming from the beach help? I’ve been told that rust proofing cost about $1,200 and of course I don’t want to spend that much if I can help it.
        I wouldn't worry about it.

We have a '94 Ford Taurus wagon and a '97 Nissan Altima that have spent their entire lives here without anything other than the factory/dealer prep. I have no idea if the cars have ever been "rustproofed" and it's never been a problem. The Taurus spends a lot of time at the beach (and with the beach inside) and I've never seen a bit of rust on it. (Of course its plastic parts are falling apart from age & UV exposure but they're not rusting.) The Altima used to spend a lot of time at Pearl Harbor. Each car is washed twice a year-- on our birthdays and Mother/Father's Days.

We pretty much ignore the issue. I've seen far more rust on the Mainland than I've ever seen here...
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. The car is a 02 CRV and it is not parked in a covered area. I was told by some of the locals that if I kept it waxed and washed it should be ok. I'm kind of concerned about the undercarriage though. I don't drive it on the beach and I live about four miles from the ocean. Went to the Honda dealer and they said it would cost about $1,200. It's a lot of money and of course they said I should do it but I don't want to spend the $$$ if I can help it. But I also don't want my car to fall apart...
          "When you dance there are two of you, your spiritual self and your physical self. The spirit has to dance." ~ Aunty Mae Ulalia Loebenstein

Comment

I've owned two Hondas. One rustproofed by the dealer and the other with only the factory treatment. The one with dealer rustproofing actually started developing rust after three years. The one without dealer rustproofing went for 10 years without a spot of rust before I sold it. Both were washed at least weekly and waxed monthly.

Caveat emptor.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Don't worry about the rust, worry about the paint.

Keep it waxed, wash off any salt water that drips on it immediately and don't keep buffing, you'll wear through the paint. Others may have better tips.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the information. The car is a 02 CRV and it is not parked in a covered area. I was told by some of the locals that if I kept it waxed and washed it should be ok. I'm kind of concerned about the undercarriage though. I don't drive it on the beach and I live about four miles from the ocean. Went to the Honda dealer and they said it would cost about $1,200. It's a lot of money and of course they said I should do it but I don't want to spend the $$$ if I can help it. But I also don't want my car to fall apart...

Just do a periodic flushing of the undercarriage with a hose and you'll be fine. If you notice any chips on your paint, just be sure to get some touch up paint. That will prevent any rust from developing at the spot.

Comment

Here's an old trick that may still work for newer models;
                  next time you change your motor oil, strain it into a suitable squirt bottle and hit all the seams, laps, joints, and anyplace that is otherwise hidden/inexcessable. especially the undercarriage. The oil will penetrate into areas you'd never get to or see, and will even defy gravity and creap far beyond the initial spots you hit.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                    Here's an old trick that may still work for newer models;
                    next time you change your motor oil, strain it into a suitable squirt bottle and hit all the seams, laps, joints, and anyplace that is otherwise hidden/inexcessable. especially the undercarriage. The oil will penetrate into areas you'd never get to or see, and will even defy gravity and creap far beyond the initial spots you hit.

I would have a little concern about the oil eating at the paint though. I think it's safer to simply buy joint grease, I think each model's handbook actually lists the type of grease one can use for the joints and seams.

Comment

I'd just take it to a car wash that shoots the undercarriage and choose the best wash and wax package there is. If you wash off the salt and dirt your car should stay rust free for a long time.

Water doesn't stay on long enough to start rusting your car by itself. But when there is water held there by caked on mud or salt that's when you will develop rust problems. Clean the grime off and the car should be fine.
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Many thanks for all of the information. I decided to save the $1,200 bucks, (for rust proofing) and keep the car very clean and waxed. I've always taken care of it when I lived in the City so I'll just continue to do that...one thing I've noticed is ~ I have never seen so many CRVs as there are on Kauai!!!!

So far I haven't seen any car washing places near Kapaa, if anyone has any info. please let me know other wise I can check the phone book. Loving it here even with the rust!!!

Comment

[...]So far I haven't seen any car washing places near Kapaa, if anyone has any info. please let me know other wise I can check the phone book. Loving it here even with the rust!!!
                          You might also keep your eyes open for week-end fundraising car washes. I don't know how plentiful they are in your area but I can always find one in my area which is very rural.

Comment

Working...
                          X